SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Plumbing for ice maker in refrigerator

Jane
7 years ago

When I had my refrigerator installed years ago, the installers did not hook up the ice maker because the supply tube was plastic. They said I needed copper, IIRC. It was no big deal then because I usually turned the ice maker off.

Now I would like to have the ice maker. I was wondering if I could install the tubing myself. The plastic tubing is still there, but not hooked up to either the ice maker or the cold water supply under the sink.

Below is a blurry pic of the cold water supply. There seem to be two nuts on the bottom. On the corresponding hot water supply, the line to the dishwasher is installed between the two nuts, with an on/off valve. It seems to be a wider tube than the plastic one that went to the ice maker. The outlet for the icemaker may have been uninstalled when I had the sink or garbage disposal installed, because I don't see anything down there that I could plug the plastic tube into. Is there something I should look for?

I have installed faucets and hoses but I don't solder. Can I install the ice maker tubing myself? What do I need to buy and do?

Cold water supply under sink:

Comments (9)