SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_rayoum

Should we build or remodel with an addition?

Danielle Rayoum
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, I am cross posting this. My husband wants to add a bedroom onto our home. We currently have three kids sharing one bedroom. It doesn't bother me yet because they are still so young. But while we were at it, I thought I would like main level laundry and possibly a master bath. Then I want to move all the rooms around to create a good flow for how our family works. Then might as well make our one car garage a two car garage if we plan to live there forever right? So all of the sudden, this new bedroom is turning into adding 800 sq feet that we never needed before. I have never needed ML laundry or another bath so is it really necessary that I do this? We are in 990 sq feet and these are the plans an architect gave us. I feel like its too much, but don't really know how to size it down or make it flow better. Also, I don't like how the Mudroom is SOOO far from the kitchen or how the kids bathroom is closer to the dining room than the bedroom. They are trying to keep the front door where it is and the current bathroom where it is for cost, will it really cost that much to move those two things? The big rectangle of light grey is the existing structure. Where it shows the mudroom and the bedroom is our current garage. He moved the stairs going into the basement (which is fine) but they could move somewhere else too if needed.

We are minimalists at heart and we don't need a lot of extra space. Our best views are out the back and the left side of the house (West) We have room to go any direction for the addition, but we have the most room out the East side and back. Also, he expected this addition (with a remodel) to cost around $175,000 WHAAAA? Is an extra bedroom with ML laundry and master bath really worth that? It seems really high to me, but the architect said to estimate 100 p/sq ft of the finished sq footage to get estimate the cost for both the addition and the remodel for the rest of the home.

So I'd really like to hear from you like minded people who have either sized up or sized down in a home. Or all of you who have ideas of making this a better layout.

For a point of reference, I really want the mudroom to be the heart of the house. It will be our catch all, our homework room, my office, our potting room for our winter tower garden. (Therefore I think it needs south facing windows and right now it has 0 windows) But I also want it closer to the kitchen and connect with the garage. I feel like this plan needs to go back to square one. Just not sure how to approach it to get what I want for functionality and maximize views.

Lastly we have property to build and start from scratch. Great property, with lots of mature trees and gentle slope for walkout basement and overlooks a lake. DH is worried about the trees being so mature that they will eventually fall on the house with a windstorm if we don't cut them down (he works for electric company so is always thinking about this sort of thing) and worried about it being on a private road (wintertime shoveling fun) Who is going to do all the work to get the roads in driving condition when he gets called out in the middle of the night. Plus it's 2.7 acres and LOTS to mow. It already has really bad mosquitos and plating a lot of it in native grasses or wildflowers to reduce mowing will only add to the mosquito problem. We currently have no mosquito problem where we live now. On top of a very windy hill and very few trees, so mosquitos have no cover. Sorry for the long post TIA!

Comments (26)