SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Suggestions about potting this monster!

jane__ny
7 years ago

Large Angraecum Crestwood which I've had over 12 years. It blooms faithfully every Dec/Jan. It has won Best in Show twice.

Two years ago I potted it into the wood basket shown in the photo. I sit the basket on one of those 'wheely things.' It is very heavy and difficult to move, plus the 'wheely thingy allows air movement to the pot.

It needs to be repotted. The basket is too small for the orchid. It gets blown over frequently with the many thunderstorms we get here in S. Florida.

It is potted in large bark with some sphag. These plants like a bit more moisture. Although, they are now considered in the Vanda family, they like moisture. It is full of offshoots which send their roots out into the air but eventually seek the pot.

I'm not sure what type of pot to plant it in. I won't do it now, it is too late. I would love to find a basket similar to what it potted in however, I am thinking a large, shallow pottery type pot with good drainage might work. Haven't found any.

I would love hearing from anyone with some ideas. I have looked in nurseries, orchid meetings, on line and can't find anything which would work for this plant.

Wish I knew a carpenter! The basket it is in was something I found at Home Goods a few years ago. I stained it and coated it with poly so it would hold up to the heat and humidity in Florida.

Thanks,

Jane

The last photo (with flowers), was taken last December. Notice the amount of growth it has made in less than a year. The two photos above were taken yesterday. This plant is like a shrub which I can't prune!

Jane

Comments (18)