SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whatchrislikes

Unlevel lawn filled with too many types of weeds and grass to count

chrism6484
7 years ago

Type of grass: I'm not sure. See pictures below. Backyard has about 2200 sq ft of lawn area that's filled with some crabgrass, some clover, a bunch of weeds and some types of grass/weeds that I can't identify. Backyard gets full sun from about 8:30am till 6:00pm in the summer.

Soil Test: Sending out the sample this week.

Maintenance routine: Just moved in. I've mowed once at 3 inches. Lawn is established but not doing well.

Main issues:

• Very bumpy and un-level with dips of up to 3-4 inches in some spots.
  • Some bare and dead spots.
  • Big garden in the middle that we're going to relocate.

Goal: I just want a relatively level lawn with good grass coverage that doesn't take thrice weekly mowing to keep up. My young sons will be playing on it and I don't want them to twist their ankles. I don't care if the lawn is perfectly weed-free; I mainly just want it level and without any bare spots.

Pics:

Okay, with the necessary details out of the way, here's the deal: My wife and I just bought our first house and I am now utterly obsessed with making our lawn less embarrassing. As you can see, it's kind of a hodgepodge in the backyard. This Fall I plan on getting rid of the garden in the middle of the yard and creating new raised beds down the length of the fence where the wood pile is. (That fence line gets sun all day.) I also plan on replacing the wood deck with a stone patio.

But what I'm here to talk about today is how to fix my lawn. Based on reading way too many posts on here, this is my plan:

1. Scalp the yard and bag the clippings.
  2. Power rake to get rid of all the crap that's dead or dying.
  3. Core aerate so I can more easily introduce some healthy soil into what's already there.
  4. Bring in top soil to level everything.
  5. Plant seed.
  6. Fertilize.

What I'm hoping y'all can help me with is:

1. Do I really not need to till that garden area? As you can see, the soil is pretty bad off and since my main yard experience till now has been with gardening, my instinct is to turn all that soil over and mix in a bunch of compost. But I know tilling is a no-no here, and I understand why.
  2. Is the power raking necessary?
  3. What seed should I use? I love the grass that's in the last picture above. It's soft and green and thick but I have no idea what type it is. I don't mind taking on this project this Fall or in the Spring, so whatever grass type I end up with will determine when I start the project. Since Richmond is a transitional zone I haven't been able to figure out what the best option would be: cool weather or warm weather grass.

Sorry for this long post. It's been percolating in the back of my mind since I started looking up lawn care and found these forums. Thanks everyone for all the advice on this site, and thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on my lawn and plan.

Comments (22)