SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittyjam90_6a_mich

Looking for tips on keeping Rugosa Roses contained/in shape

Hi everyone, I have posted about these here before and I always get excellent advice, so I am back again.

I have a very long row of rugosa roses (I think they are FJ Grootendorst). I was told by my neighbor (we just moved in) that they used to make a very thick hedge and were very full. Due to years of neglect, they aren't super full any more, but that will come with time.

My question is on their growth habit. They seem to send out new canes from both old and new wood without any rhyme or reason. There are old canes I have pruned off with two or three new canes sticking out at every odd angle you can imagine. They just grow in the general form of a complete tangled mess.

How can I get them to grow "normally"? Should I cut them down and start over, or just let them do their thing? I would love to get them back to that 'hedge' look if that is even possible. Also, how do I even know what to prune? There are canes that I will swear up and down are dead, and then low and behold, they shoot out 2 or 4 more canes themselves.

Thanks!!! 6A SE Mich

Photos:

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County