SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bug_girl

Rugosa Rose, got it all walmart

bug_girl
14 years ago

Rugosa Roses do get fungal diseases. I posted here, I found a Rugosa Rose at Walmart, 10 dollars, on sale for less. But, it got powdery mildew. It was suggested this was not a real Rugosa Rose by some unfriendly poster here on the garden web, but as it turns out Rugosa Roses do get powdery mildew more than black spot and rust. I went to the Heritage rose garden in San Jose, CA, and I saw all types of fungal diseases on the Rugosa Roses. In fact some of the hybrid teas had less or no fungal diseases on them. I saw combo black spot and rust on the Rugosa. I don't know if they spray the hybrid teas or not and not the Rugosas, but it is very dry in San Jose right now, and lacking in fog.

My Rugosa Rose is coming along, but I have to spray it or it would be completely consumed by powdery mildew, but with lots of spraying, which I do not like doing, it is not a bad rose, but actually needs more spraying and help then to my hybrid teas. I only have a few right now, do to space, but I suggest that Living Easy which is growing right nearby has less fungal and John Keats Climbing has almost no fungal, but gets terrible aphids . You can't win. There is no rose you don't have to spray at least in San Francisco, but I think in places like Texas or Sacramento that are more dry one may be able to have better results.

Comments (15)