SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freshid

Remove 3'+ of existing sand for raised patio?

freshid
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am building a raised paver patio with a 2-4' block retaining wall. When I began excavation I was surprised to find that there is an excessive amount of sand underneath where a deck used to be. I dug a test hole and am already 3' down with nothing but sand. I am not even sure how deep it goes.

The patio will be 13' out from the house foundation and 17' long. Plan to terrace the one side that is 4' into 2 x 2' walls and build stairs. Planning to compact 4" of road base (class 6, 3/4 minus) then a small 3/4" layer of sand for leveling. The pavers are the 12" x 12" and the wall blocks are 16" x 6" x 8". I also plan to install a perforated drain behind the wall sandwiched with landscaping fabric and 4" of backfill that will drain on the lowest part of the wall.

I already have 14 tons of the road base which I thought I was going to use as the base material and backfill behind the wall. I realized (after it was delivered of course!) that this is not the right material at least for the backfill behind the wall. Now I'm thinking of ordering something else for the 4" behind the wall such as plain 3/4" gravel (supplier recommended) and using the extra road base to replace the excessive sand instead. I live in Colorado Springs where we do have periodic sustained freezes.

1) Do I need to remove all of the sand and replace it with the road base?
2) Can I use the road base under the retaining wall blocks and the pavers?
3) Should I use the plain 3/4 gravel for backfill behind the wall or something else?

I know I'm in over my experience but could not afford to hire someone. The deck was rotting out and causing the base of house to rot with it, attracting carpenter ants and such. Any advise is welcome and appreciated.

Comments (9)