SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianepmt_gw

Raising an Existing Bed

dianepmt
17 years ago

I've been trying to work around the small, level-with-the-lawn, flat bed that was already planted in front of our bungalow we bought 3 years ago. The more I look at it, the more I realize I need to create a raised design, probably with a stacked stone or brick edge - like 2 bricks high, not too much, for it to look right. There are no evergreens in it right now, just some maiden grass that gets really big, lavendar, some taller and low growing sedums, a few other perennials, oh, and a small Japanese maple, like less than 2 feet high.

I have added shredded hardwood mulch every year, though possibly not enoough, and I still feel like we are getting dirt runoff into the lawn, and for sure onto our neighbor's driveway. The lots are very small here, and it looks like our little lawn and landscaped bed in the front of the house is higher than our neighbor's, and everything kind of slopes slightly away from the house (which I guess it should for drainage) and toward the driveways on either side.

Couple of questions - would a raised bed help contain the soil, and if I only plan to add maybe 6 inches of height, do I have to remove all the plantings and set everything higher? The only well established plants are the maiden grass and probably the lavendar (and the jap. maple has been there about 3 years, but we are thinking of moving it to the back). The sedums look very aggressive and could probably handle being removed and re-planted, and the rest of the stuff that I put in last summer has sort of heaved, anyway. I think I didn't plant them deep enough in the first place. Given that - can I create a raised bed here without "starting over?" A lot of the plants seem like they need at least a few inches more soil around them, anyway, and I know we've had some erosion and run-off.

I am dreading the idea of pulling everything out and starting over, especially those tall grasses, I think I would need a back hoe - they are a little too big and droopy for our postage-stamp front yard, but I think they'll be acceptable for a couple more years.

Last thing - can anyone point me to a good reference for building a low, stacked brick or stone raised bed so I can prevent too much shifting/settling, and keep proper drainage away from the house? I'm freaked out about getting water in the basement, I've lived in some moldy situations in the past and don't want a repeat.

Sorry this is so long, I'm obviously a gardening newbie, any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Comments (2)