SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
c_nicole_carlisle

Need advice on new Jacaranda tree

I had a new Jacaranda tree planted about a year and a half ago. At the time, it was about 5 feet tall. Now it's probably 10 at least, probably a little more. Probably 3-4 inch-thick trunk. My issue is that my tree is now leaning to the side at about a 30 degree angle or so. It's fairly significant. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I need to prop it up. I tried staking it without doing much digging, but the stakes popped out of the ground. Not the best plan as the stakes were basically just trying to pull it back the other way. My thought now is that I'm going to have to dig more significantly to re-straighten the plant and then stake it properly. My question is, does this seem like the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do? I'm not sure there's another way at this point, but that is why I'm posting. My follow-up is, does anyone know how extensive the root system is after a year and a half? It's obviously still a fairly young tree and when I dig, I'll definitely give it some berth. I just want to minimize the risk to the tree. Thanks!

Comments (33)