SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekm

Decor/Art for Bathroom

aimeekm
7 years ago

I have a shelf above the toilet in my bathroom that I'm trying to figure out what will look best there. I'm going w an ocean theme, I'm located in a beach city in SoCal. The home is a 1920's Craftsman. I currently have one piece of art hung, a framed art tile of turtles. The shelf in question is 24" wide, and 38" below the ceiling.

Here are the options I'm considering

Turtle Shell

Silver Coral

Original Acrylic Painting, I'd have matted & framed

Painting is 9x12, figured I'd mat & frame to 16x21

Here is the bathroom

The framed tile is hung too high, I need to lower

This the the turtle tile, close up

So which of these work best? Or none of the above?

TIA!

Comments (58)

• torreykm
    7 years ago

My vote is the turtle shell. Your bathroom has a slightly organic feel (imo) and the shell works nicely with that. My 2nd choice would be the whale.

aimeekm thanked torreykm
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

a) What a cute bathroom! Amazing home, I'm in love with it. ok nothing new here:) so for the question:

b) what is the height of the turtle shell?

aimeekm thanked aprilneverends
  • Related Discussions

Review/Artwork Suggestions for Future Bathroom

Q

Comments (12)
    a) It's a very pretty mood board. I wish I was as organized as you, so much ahead of time:) I guess I'll find a toilet paper holder after we're in the house already..:) b) To me, art is the best thing to have anywhere, including a powder room. Just make sure it's not very expensive and super special since I don't know what ventilation you'll have there, and moisture can ruin things. After a while. Unless the art can take anything, like ceramic art for example. And don't try to match it too hard to your colors. Go with the overall feeling you want to get. Maybe you want to reflect that wilderness around you. Maybe you want something quirky and fun. Maybe you want to illustrate a fairy tale, and put it there:) Maybe you find a really cool artistic tile. Wherever the mood takes you. You can go with a well thought-out simplicity-or to add the art that contradicts it a bit. Something more ornamental-or something more thoughtful. As in any room, you know. Actually, you can easily start with art. It can be a huge inspiration for any room. Towels and bath mats will follow. PS don't put polished tile in a potentially slippery place. I like your hexes. That vanity is very nice.
    ...See More

Help Selecting Colors for Artwork in Kids Bathroom

Q

Comments (5)
    I really like the colors in the shower curtain and towels (and art), but to me something more beige/cream/brown would work better. At least on my monitor, your counters and floors look more beige/cream.
    ...See More

Wall art in bathroom

Q

Comments (20)
    Definitely no rules apply here. Besides, it's your bathtub. Who is going to come in and see it but you? Since you will be sitting in the tub facing it, it should definitely be something that suits you to gaze upon, something you won't tire of seeing.. (I might tire of a quote.) You might have fun considering different shapes of frames -- round, hexagon, gothic arch -- or a long verticle rectangle. Hard to make suggestions without knowing if the style and core colors of the artwork you have is something you want to basically want to match or if you want something to contrast it in some way -- more minimalist or something distinctly figurative or a classic art work... etc).
    ...See More

Art work for bathroom?

Q

Comments (9)
    Whatever you choose, remember that water condensing on glass can run down and get into the frame and dampen/stain the matting. Before I hang art in a steamy bathroom, I will run a small bead of silicone around the glass on the back side of the frame to prevent water getting behind the glass. I know that's probably anal, but it prevents worries that this will be an issue.
    ...See More
  • nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

I like the turtle shell for your space. Like torreykm, I too get an organic vibe and th shell looks like it belongs there.

aimeekm thanked nutsaboutplants
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree the turtle shell by itself it a bit lonely.

Here's the coral and shell together, now a bit squished and unbalanced I think

I agree I like the turtle shell, it is a bit different and organic, just not sure how to make it work.

The shell is 13"x9, with it being 16" high total.

I like the art tile where it is, I just need to lower it, I think it will look better once I do that.

Thanks for the compliments on this bathroom and house. I'd love to take more credit for it, but the previous owners had great taste!

So I'm liking the idea of leaning & slightly overlapping artwork, it would be something different that I've never done before. What about printing and framing some photographs? How about 2 photographs, one oriented vertically, the other horizontally, overlapped somewhat? Or can photographs be displayed with an original painting, like the whale?

Ideas of photographs I have:

Or else doing some sort of vignette with a painting/photo and some object of=n the shelf, I just not sure what object ......

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

ok..so the shell being 16, the whale-12..given you love the whale as much as we do here:) I'd frame the whale but keeping original size, no matting..And i'd try to combine the whale and the shell together..somehow. Maybe if you slightly turn the shell so it's not completely straight, and leaning the whale so it is still fully seen

I definitely like leaning and overlapping artwork, I do it sometimes..it won't work with very cherished pieces maybe, because you'll have this desire to give them full attention. but will work with those you love more casually so to say.

Photographs are very beautiful, but I feel the shell and the whale are more..I don't know..strong in their character? The whale is all about movement and no limits and maybe joy of the risk. The shell-is a symbol of something stable, set, enveloping. It's cool to see them together..I like how they contradict one another, while being -seemingly-of the same theme..Makes one contemplate.

I hope I make at least some sense:)

But if the photographs are special to you-by all means, don't listen to my ramblings. Art is so personal. I have couple artworks that my friends find a bit scary(they're portraits). But they seem really kind to me..:)

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The whale is all about movement and no limits and maybe joy of the risk.

Wow, I'm impressed w this observation, the piece is called "Joyous Freedom"

The photographs aren't particularly special to me, thinking about the ocean theme just reminded me that I had plenty of photographs of my own. It was just a thought of contrasting the painting w photography. But nt committed to this idea at all.

I was thinking of the coral being more of a backdrop for the turtle, just ever so slightly turned. Maybe just straight, and the turtle needs to be on the other side. I don't know why.

Ok done .... good eye, I like this a lot actually. (It looks better IRL, than the photo, I think)

I am still really loving the whale painting though. And the leaning too, because everywhere else in the house artwork is hung traditionally, and this is truly the only spot I'd be able to lean and overlap (w the turtle shell??). (It's a small house!) I thought about how to secure the painting if I lean, and there are some ideas online like museum putty, or command velcro. Securing is definitely necessary because I'm in earthquake country.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I think because you already have turtles in your art tile that more turtle is too much turtle for one little room! The sculptured pieces just seem too contrived to me, like you're trying too hard to find something that works. The painting is gorgeous and is just enough, size, color and theme, imho.

aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I love both of them but prefer the coral. Or you could get one of the shadow box framed with a real coral in a beautiful natural color.

aimeekm thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Some examples
    Framed coral

aimeekm thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

When I looked at Raven's coral examples, I realized what I don't like about the two sculptural pieces for your room is their lack of color. They just look dull there to me. I'll stop now :-)

aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

I'm not feeling the shell and/or the silver coral. I think whatever you do, it would be nice to bring in the blue from your tile border.

aimeekm thanked eld6161
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I thought if you pair the shell and the whale, the shell will hold the whale in place:) To some extent at least

Because yeah, it's a valid concern...I'm always very aware of earthquakes when in the bathroom lol.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

I like the idea of the shell with a picture. I like your photos. The whale is beautiful but I don't like it as much with the other elements. I actually like the turtle shell and turtle pic - tying the theme together. Do you have any info on the turtle tle? It is really cute.

Would love to see a pic of the final decision.

aimeekm thanked maries1120
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

It all looks good to me. I love your bathroom and I love the tile on the walls, gorgeous design and color. Love the shower glass too. Of course I'm a craftsman fan, big time.

aimeekm thanked l pinkmountain
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love all he opinions on here! It makes me feel better I can't figure out what I want there, because there is no consensus,

So I've pulled the trigger and purchased the whale painting. I am really enamored with it, and want some color, as mentioned. When it arrives I can decide if I want to pair it with the (creepy, lol) turtle shell, or have it stand alone. I'll also see if I like it leaning.

Do you have any info on the turtle tile?

Yes, it's from Etsy, here's the shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MedicineBluffStudio

Now the waiting begins ........

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

What a nice shop! Now I'm in love with birds and lizards..))

(I'm sure the turtle shell is real, because..I don't know.. why wouldn't it be?)

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The whale painting has arrived!

It came gallery wrapped, which was a pleasant surprise. I think though, I need to frame it, it looks skimpy up there as is IMO.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

The picture is pretty.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Yes..the shell is too big. It's squishing the whale. Figuratively speaking..))

If you mat and frame it though-the whale I mean-I feel you'll need to hang it rather than lean it..for safety reasons..

• Ninkasi
    7 years ago

I like the shell and coral together, but I would spray paint the silver part white. It is more natural looking with your natural shell feature, and I think the silver with the tortoiseshell is too manly colors/textures. Keep the black base to tie them together. The white would match the shelf and pop against the warm wall color.

aimeekm thanked Ninkasi
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

What about the shell and the tile together? Shell on shelf and tile hung above? Will the whale fit where the tile is now?

aimeekm thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • maries1120
    7 years ago

I like Annette Holbrook's idea if that would work. I think the colors would blend better. Maybe under the turtle you could put a short clear canister or bowl with cotton balls, sponges, small colored soaps, candle, or filler. The whale pic would look great by itself and be the focal point for that area.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I personally like the turtle shell and the silver coral together, straight on. The turtle shell brings out the brown edging tile, and the silver brings out the shine in the cool shower glass. The whale photo brings out the blue edging tile, but would need to be matted and framed to not look lost in the space above the toilet.

aimeekm thanked l pinkmountain
  • KATHY
    7 years ago

The turtle shell and turtle tile leaned on the shelf and whale pic where turtle tile was.

aimeekm thanked KATHY
  • Errant_gw
    7 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks the self is wrong for that lovely bathroom? I feel like it completely clashes with the Crafstman trim. Not that a Craftsman home needs to be decorated entirely in period pieces, but I do think all of the millwork should match in such a small room.

aimeekm thanked Errant_gw
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've been treading water on this ... I'm usually a decisive person, but having trouble with this one.

Am I the only one that thinks the self is wrong for that lovely bathroom? I feel like it completely clashes with the Cratfsman trim. Not that a Craftsman home needs to be decorated entirely in period pieces, but I do think all of the mill work should match in such a small room.

I think you are right .... now when I see the shelf, all I can see is the style clashes with the rest of the Craftsman trim, which is consistent throughout the house.

Thanks everyone for their input ...

I know that moving the turtle tile has been suggested a few times. I'm not going to do that because where the tile is positioned now, it can be seen whenever I walk by the bathroom, vs. above the toilet, which is obviously less visible. The tile makes me happy, so I want to see it as much as possible.

I've also decided the silver coral doesn't work. I've asked several people IRL and they assume the coral is a tree, and doesn't think it relates to the bathroom. So even though I know it's coral, most people will see a tree.

So here are the options I'm thinking about:

1. Replace the shelf with one that is more fitting to the style. I can either purchase or have my handyman make one. And then, I can do the leaning and the turtle shell together.

This is the millwork on the adjacent window

Pros: I still like the idea of framing and leaning the picture. I'm confident I can secure the artwork well enough, there are no kids in the house at risk!

Cons: Expense, new shelving, handyman labor, and framing costs. Is the whale too small in scale to the shell?

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Option 2

Remove the shelf entirely and replace with largish artwork.

I can either go with a cheap-ish fun print, or frame out the whale (I think the whale is too small, no?), or search for original artwork in a larger size, or gallery wall of either prints or original art.

I think the con on this is I have traditionally hung artwork through out the rest of the house, and no other place to lean or make a small vignette.

Thoughts?

• Olychick
    7 years ago

When you first posted the whale picture, I didn't realize it was so small, and imagined it filling the space above the shelf. I did always think the shelf was off a little, but I thought it was because it looked like it was hung too high. But didn't comment, waiting until the whale was in place. When it turned out so small, I didn't think any further comments would be helpful for the direction you were going. I didn't pick up on the shelf being the wrong style for the room.

But when I see the whale and turtle shell together, the scale looks all wrong to me. Whales are giant, but looks diminutive next to that size shell. I don't think a new shelf is going to help that aspect (to my eye).

I really prefer the scale of the new art you posted for the space, although the whale is very nice on its own. I'd probably forgo the shelf and hang a larger piece of art. Or a grouping.

aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the comments ....

I do agree that long term it would be better if the artwork was framed under glass rather than gallery wrapped would. If I go with original artwork, that will be my plan. But honestly, even though it is the only bath in the house, I'm a single women who's not home 1/2 the time, so it wouldn't be subject to normal abuse.

I'm working on a process of elimination ...

I've ruled out the whale on the shelf w the turtle shell. I agree, the scale is wrong, turtles should not be bigger than whales :)

1 - I can frame out the whale, replace the shelf, and lean the whale on the shelf alone

Like this only w a different style shelf

2 - I can frame out the whale, remove the shelf, and hang

Sort of like this terrible mock up (pretend the shell isn't there!)

3 - Forgot the whale altogether and go with a larger piece of art?

For 1 and 2, is the scale of the whale too small still?

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

Lower is better, the picture hanging like that convicts it for me. I think all of your options are nice, my only issue is the height of the shelf. Not great perspective I suppose but from here it looks high.

aimeekm thanked arcy_gw
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

I think the whale by itself, (sorry, I missed that the cardboard was a temp. visual) will be fine when framed/matted in the size you show. The whole piece looked so small next to the shell, that it kind of threw me. I think, if it's not too high in person, it would look fine on a shelf, or hung as you show a bit lower without a shelf. If you prefer with a shelf, you could add a nice candle or something else there, too. It's really a nice piece and captures a breaching whale so wonderfully.

aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've been staring at the whale all evening. I'm going w my gut he's too small. I just don't want to pay the significant amount of money to frame, and then not be happy with it. I don't think the 9x12 that's a problem, it's that the whale is only 6". t's out of proportion to the wall, especially considering it's a whale. I'm shooting for 15x20 overall when framed (that's the size of the cardboard behind the whale.

I'd rather go with original art rather than a print .... so I was looking ....

Whale Shark

11.7x16.5

Sailboat

10x14

Violent Waves

8x13 (too small?)

Moody Sea

10x14

Any favorites? Like the prints better?

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I actually just pulled the trigger on the first one, the Whales Sharks. I'd been flipping through all the pictures, and they felt light and happy compared to the others.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

This might be too big but I thought it was a cute happy whale:

https://www.birchlane.com/Ceramic-Whale-Box-BL9040-BL9040.html

Sorry I can't post the pic at the moment.

I agree of those new pics that the first one is really nice.

• PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    7 years ago

I love the turtle shell.

aimeekm thanked Laqfoil Ltd.
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok ... quick opinion needed!

I'm on vacation in Hawaii right now, and saw this piece. What do you guys think? This turtle ceramic piece or the Whale Shark water color? Both are original artworks. The turtle is about 16.5"W x 20"H ... but has a small flaw, a bubble near the tail, if I bought it I would call it character of course. Too many turtles if I do the ceramic piece? Too many ceramic turtles?

The other art piece I have in the bathroom

Thanks for everyone's patience w me!

• lizbeth-gardener
    7 years ago

I can't really make out the whale in the ceramic. Is it the back triptych and if so, can you get a better shot of it?

Edited to add: I just realized you are talking about the turtle. I think a larger watercolor (no shelf) framed nicely would be my choice. If you are really into turtles, why not put them in other spots in your house? The dish above could hold keys on a foyer table or earrings on a dresser, etc.

aimeekm thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

She means the painting in her post between the two turtles.

Yes, too many turtles! But, what about that triptych behind the Hawaii turtle?

aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • maries1120
    7 years ago

The turtle ceramic piece is beautiful and would be a reminder of your trip.

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the opinions ...

Yes, the turtle wall hanging, or it could be a bowl or platter (but with the flaw, it's not food safe). I do really like turtles, but it's more of their a happy association with the trips I've taken to Hawai, not like a decorating obession or anything. My house is small, so I only have a limited amount of space, so no place for the turtle except this one place in my bathroom.

The whale triptych (actually 4 pieces, not sure what that is called) behind it is absolutely gorgeous, and what originally caught my eye. But too big for the space, and way out of the range I'm willing to spend (and overpriced, to be honest)

1 hr until the craft fair closes down ....hmmm ....

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol ... Lilly'smom ... something to think about

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update - The Whale Sharks have been hung!

The watercolor took forever to arrive but it was worth the wait. I continue to be impressed at how affordable really amazing original art can be. I love the detail in the painting and how much personality they seem to have.

I also purchased the whale container maries1120 suggested above. I love decor that serves a purpose as well.

• lkplatow
    7 years ago

I LOVE the new picture! It's so pretty! Was it from etsy? Did it come framed or did you frame it?

I also love the whale container and it looks great with your tile. Really nice job!!!

aimeekm thanked lkplatow
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

They're so cheerful:) The kindest, funniest Whale Sharks ever

• maries1120
    7 years ago

It looks great! I love your final picks. Glad you liked the little whale container! I bet you're relieved to have that finished.

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone!

i found the painting in Artfinder.com the artist is Victoria Lucy.. I'm completely obsessed with that site. It was the watercolor only, I had it framed locally

Yes Aprilneverends, that is exactly right, my happy, benevolent whale sharks :-)

The whale container is great, it looks cute and hides the tacky TP wipes, bonus!

• katrina_ellen
    7 years ago

Who doesn't love whales, it looks great. Love both of them, the print & container.

aimeekm thanked katrina_ellen
  • Errant_gw
    7 years ago

That looks great! And so much better without the shelf :)

aimeekm thanked Errant_gw
  • User
    7 years ago

I really liked the organic-ness of the original turtle shell but this print is very nice!

And you wrote: I continue to be impressed at how affordable really amazing original art can be.

Yes, I agree!

aimeekm thanked User
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths