SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ont_gal

Smoothies

ont_gal
7 years ago

Does anyone have any smoothie recipes that they would care to share?

Comments (18)

• Pawprint
    7 years ago

I'm not sure if this is a smoothie but I put milk, frozen berry yogurt, banana & strawberries in my blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Delicious.

ont_gal thanked Pawprint
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

I've been making milk kefir the past couple of weeks and I always put either the kefir or whey in my smoothies. I had some avocados that needed using up, so I threw one of those in too. Frozen or fresh fruit, banana, chia seeds, baby spinach if I have it, coconut oil.

ont_gal thanked Jasdip
  • Vertise
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Including cucumber makes it taste very refreshing. In addition to ingredients mentioned above, I add various things randomly to taste. Yellow and green squash, carrots, peeled celery, citrus, kale, lettuces, berries, grapes, mango, sometimes cinnamon or even a dash of chili pepper for zing. Green tea. MCT oil. No dairy.

ont_gal thanked Vertise
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

ont-gal, you really should tell us what genre of "smoothie" you're looking for. Some really want a sweet, creamy concoction while others of us are looking for the veggie/health surge.

ont_gal thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Ditto what rhizo said.

I like to use around 8 ounces of mixed fruit, toss in some spinach, thin it a bit with some sort of fruit juice, and a dollop of a plain yogurt. That's the one I make as a treat after dinner, instead of ice cream. For instance.

ont_gal thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • carabubble
    7 years ago

Spinach leaves, dollop of light Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, banana, ground flax seed, nonfat vanilla almond milk. Sometimes the color isn't pretty but it tastes great.

This summer I've been making some with just fruit, but realized that I was inadvertently making the calorie count of it pretty high. But love making sure it has some pineapple in it for a wonderful little tang.

ont_gal thanked carabubble
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

1/4 C quick oats

1 T. ground flax seed

1/2 C apple juice and 1/2 C water

Mix all that

1/4 cottage cheese (or yogurt)

1/2 C blueberries

1/2 C raspberries

Mix together

This is often lunch. I can't digest yogurt so I use cottage cheese which doesn't seem to be a problem

I don't put bananas in my smoothies because I have one every morning before I go for my run or to the gym.

ont_gal thanked blfenton
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

We've been making these all week...last week we had blueberries....

1 diced mango

1/2 lb strawberries

1 tsp stevia

2 cups chipped ice

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup protein powder/optional(I don't put it in mine, only DH's)

ont_gal thanked nicole___
  • Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

My favorite recipe is a couple of bananas, ice, pineapple juice and sometimes strawberries.

Ours are usually fruit based. We've done the green smoothies with fruit and kale or spinach and yogurt or milk. The kids complain because it makes them go potty. Lol,!

ont_gal thanked Adella Bedella
  • Cherryfizz
    7 years ago

Banana, yogurt or kefir, cherry or cranberry juice, and whatever other fruit you have on hand. I use an immersion stick blender.

ont_gal thanked Cherryfizz
  • ont_gal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry that I
    wasn't specific enough-I never really thought about what kind to be honest,but I must say that I had the sweet creamy kind in mind for breakfast and the greener sorts for later in the day or the evening...in the meantime,thank you all for such great ideas!

• blfenton
    7 years ago

With the mention of spinach, yesterday I added spinach to my smoothie (the above recipe) and it didn't turn it green, was obviously healthier and was good.

I don't make vegie smoothies because I get a lot of vegetables in salads and stir fries. What I was lacking was fruit. I don't like sitting down and eating just an apple, or just an orange or just a plum. In stir fries or casseroles you get a real mix of vegetables and a lot of them. And that's why I started making smoothies. It's kind of the stir fry of fruit.

ont_gal thanked blfenton
  • User
    7 years ago

I don't drink smoothies anymore (they contain way too much sugar), but when I did drink them:

about 1/4 cup Minute Maid orange juice concentrate (don't water it down)

1 banana

1 hand full of frozen fruit blend

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

a bunch of ice cubes

Milk

Put all the ingredients into your blender, pour milk through the lid slowly until the smoothie is the thickness you like. Or you can do half milk, half water.

I've tried veggies smoothies and they all taste like dirt to me. I just can't do them.

ont_gal thanked User
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

If you leave out the juice, the vanilla yogurt, and go easy on the fruits you can reduce the sugars.

Mine are predominantly leafy greens of one sort or another, a few pieces of fresh pineapple, half an apple, a sliver of lemon, ground flax seed, water, and usually a protein powder. It's impressive how a small amount of fruit can make the dark green drink taste "fruity" and not "kaley"! For me, that little sliver of lemon makes a huge difference.

I don't like bananas anymore, but a half of one helps make these green drinks creamy. I used to slice them up as soon as I got home and freeze the pieces.

Almond or coconut milk (unsweetened) instead of water makes a nice change.

ont_gal thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Lindsey_CA
    7 years ago

The Blendtec and Vitamix recipes also provide the nutritional information.

ont_gal thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

We only buy plain yogurt; the flavoured ones are far too sweet.

I like the fruit ones, with some greens. I'm going to put kale in mine today, after hubby pours his. The homemade kefir isn't sweetened, like the store-bought ones, so there's less sugar that way as well.

I'm looking forward to browsing the sites that Lindsey posted. Thanks, Lindsey!

ont_gal thanked Jasdip
  • Lindsey_CA
    7 years ago

You're welcome, Jasdip! There are lots of great recipes on both sites -- for smoothies, beverages, and all sorts of other things, too.

ont_gal thanked Lindsey_CA