SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianey

New lawn full of clover

7 years ago

I don't think my original post went through, so hopefully this won't double-post...

In April, we had our backyard excavated and re-sloped. It was then hydroseeded. We watered every day as we were told and it looked like it was coming in beautifully at first. A few areas came in lush, but over most of the lawn, the grass just stopped growing and stayed relatively sparse. Much of the grass hasn't grown since - I don't think the mower blades have ever touched some of it.

In addition to it being so sparse, it's covered in clover (and another weed that looks similar to clover, but has yellow flowers). I had wanted to have an organic lawn and was even intending to overseed with a longer, more meadow-like grass seed, so I never expected the lawn to be perfect, but the amount of clover in this grass is depressing to me given that it's brand new!

When I first noticed that it seemed to have stopped growing, I thought I'd overseed, but then figured it was too close to summer to do that (I was probably wrong about that), so decided to wait until fall. I know the hot of summer is not a great time to fertilize, but I'm hoping to develop a plan (hopefully mostly organic - though I'm willing to bend a bit to get everything under control if I have to).

Any suggestions on how to handle this would be much appreciated!

This was taken about a week ago, there's even more clover now!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert