SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shebabee

Upcoming Citrus Purchase--Advice?

shebabee
7 years ago

Citrus Mavens,

Yes, it's all your fault. Having started with Tree #1, my Meyer known as Prince, moving on to Tree #2, my little calamondin, I am hankering now for Tree #3, a mandarin. I have decided on a Kishu, though I'm somewhat toying still with Gold Nugget. I see that Four Winds rates Gold Nugget as not needing heat to ripen--this is good! But because the Kishu are so tiny, I thought it would be safe to try it here, especially as I've read that they can hold well on the tree for quite some time. We get our warmest weather in Sept/Oct.

First question: Does that (Kishu) seem reasonable to you?

Second question: The nursery I'm planning to buy from (Golden Nursery in San Mateo) has trees from Generation Growers of Modesto. Does anyone have experience with them? I was very impressed with the selection of trees when I was there last. My usual nurseries (in Berkeley) mostly stock Menlo Growers and Four Winds trees, but they have been out of kishu each time I've looked lately.

Third question: Available right now are Kishu in #5 pots as either tree form or bush form. They are $79, more than I'd wanted to spend right now, but they were really nice looking trees last time I was there, and I'm eager to have fruit sooner than later. Last time they also had smaller (#3?) plants for I think $49 but when I called today, they told me they have only the #5s. Does anyone have strong preference for tree form vs bush form? What are the pros/cons here? My Meyer is a bushy tree; my calamansi is I guess a tree form--long stem. Is there any difference in productivity?

Thanks again for your continued help! I'll be checking back, as I might go look at those trees today or tomorrow, and something could come home with me!

Sheba

Comments (40)