SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmensinger15

Help with lemon tree / citrus mites?

T L
7 years ago

Hey everyone! This is my first post, so please forgive me if i miss something.

About 2 weeks ago I brought in our improved meyer lemon tree from outside to inside (due to upcoming weather). We've only had it for about 8 months so this is the first winter ever. I've been keeping it under a heat lamp for about 8 hours a day or moving it to a window when it's nice out. (didnt know in advance that i should have prepared it better for the switch)

Luckily, it seems to have flourished and is budding. No clue why it didn't do it all summer when it was outside!

Anyway, today I noticed tiny little red dots on the leafs. I did some research and found references to citrus mites. Initially, I didn't think that was the problem since my dots seemed really flat. I thought maybe it was pollen. Then I stared at them for a few minutes and noticed just one of them barely moving (walking)! So I guess, now I think they are mites. Most of them look pretty dead and are not moving. Not sure how big of a problem this is.

I'm attaching a photo I took of the "worst" leaf that is covered the most. There are dots on quite a few leaves, but not all of them. I realize it's hard to tell what's going on. Does everyone agree they are mites? Does anyone have a natural solution to treat this? I'm trying to avoid harsh chemicals. One of the reasons for getting the plant is so that we know what was put on it (can keep it as natural as possible). If you don't think I need to do anything and this problem will take care of itself, let me know about that too.

Thanks! And I look forward to learning so much from all of you!!!

Comments (13)