SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Any experience with gout?

neetsiepie
7 years ago

Back in mid-June I got a bad staph infection in my leg that led to it being MRSA. I have been taking antibiotics for almost a month! Recently my ankle started hurting so bad I was literally in tears when DH took me to the Urgent Care. They thought it was part of the MRSA and prescribed even stronger antibiotics, and strong pain killers. I slept the entire weekend through!

This morning I saw my PCP and he did a full work up, determined the MRSA has cleared and I can go off the antibiotics (that have done a number on my stomach-I'm on yogurt and probiotics for a while), but the Staph did not account for the excrutiating pain and swelling in my foot & ankle.

So he ordered xrays and many lab tests, he's leaning toward it being gout! I googled gout and usually it forms in the big toe, but this is on the inside of my ankle. It literally feels as if a hot knife is being jammed into my ankle and turned slowly. The skin on my foot is swollen up to the point where I can't even wear my widest shoes!

I asked if there was a special diet I could follow, but I don't eat the usual high protien-uric acid rich foods. He thinks that since I have a propensity to inflammatory diseases & arthritis, that this is yet another issue to deal with. I can't take Nsaids, so he's prescribed a course of Prednisone and so far it IS helping with the pain, not so much the inflammation. At least I don't have to take the painkillers, which gave me very weird dreams.

So, I'm looking for anyone with experience with gout. Thanks in advance!

Comments (19)