SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samantha_stevenson97

need ideas for furniture placement for 15'x15' LR

Sam S.
7 years ago

Good morning! We have sold our big home on lots of acreage and are downsizing! Yay!! Our new home (Epcon Portico) has a smaller LR with a fireplace. I really really want a sectional sofa (hubby wants it to be reclining). I need advice on size... Looking at the floorplan, and at models of our home (ours is still in the construction phase) I'm planning on putting the TV on the wall opposite of the windows in the LR (so to the right of the fireplace). I'm having one of my grandmother's accent chairs reupholstered and that will go in the corner between the TV and fireplace. I'd like a right facing sectional to go in front of the LR window, with the left side of the sectional creating a slight divider between the kitchen and LR. How big is too big? Thank you!!!

Comments (10)

• Debbie B.
    7 years ago

Hi Samantha!

This looks like a very nice home. Congratulations! Does this sit on a basement, or is there more here that we can't see? What's the total sq. ft.?

15x15 is a nice sized LR. I'm terrible at reading floor plans, so please tell me if I'm understanding you correctly.

The TV is going on the wall that backs up to the bathroom and foyer. Are you getting the optional windows on either side of the fireplace? Then, as I understand it, you want the sectional to be in front of the windows that overlook the courtyard, with the shorter section extending out between the dining room and kitchen areas. Is that correct?

One thing to be aware of is how much room you will need when the reclining parts are fully reclined. On the long section in front of the window, will there be anything to the right of it, like a floor lamp or end table? A coffee table in front of either section? An end table next to the shorter section? Besides the accent chair and possible aforementioned tables/lamps, will there be any other furniture in the LR?

What is the main purpose of the sectional sofa? TV viewing? Conversation area? How many people are you hoping to seat in each section?

I think the main concern would be to leave ample room behind the short end between the sofa fully reclined and the kitchen/dining area. If you have people over to watch a football game, for example, you'd likely be going back and forth with food and drink, and if you have to "squeeze by" every time, that will get old really fast.

A secondary concern, from a design standpoint, would be to ensure the sofa isn't so huge that it completely dominates the room, stealing the focus from the lovely fireplace and the views out the windows.

I think if you can answer those questions it will be easier for you to decide upon the best size for the sectional.

I hope this helps! :-)

• Debbie B.
    7 years ago

Wow! That's a beautiful sofa! I love the way it curves instead of a right angle Also cool that it's more the "wall hugger" type of recliner so you don't have to set it out really far from the wall.

I love the idea of the MCM dresser as the TV stand! I'm doing something similar. I'm putting our fairly small tv on an end/occasional table. Much prettier than a "tv stand."

I appreciate good, thoughtful design and and prefer a minimalist look, so I really hear you about no coffee table. But I'm also pretty practical, lol! My thought is, when you host movie night with your friends, or if you and DH ever eat in front of the tv, where will everyone set their plates and glasses? Obviously, it doesn't have to be a coffee table--there are lots of options, some of which wouldn't "bulk up" the room with more big furniture. I agree that you don't want every sq. in. of space to be sofa or table--it could make your nice sized LR look small. And maybe I'm making false assumptions when I'm thinking food and drinks will be served in there?

Your home is lovely! You have a lot of extra touches that will make it so special. And I think it's nice that you're recovering your grandmother's chair to go in there. :-)

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    7 years ago

I'll voice the alternate opinion. I think that sofa is too bulky for your room. The curve will take up the whole room. I would not rely on the measurements listed, but find one you can see and figure out exactly how much space it will take up.

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

Samantha- Did you used to have a TV room on the front of the house? I thought there was a sun room that was going to be the TV area. Maybe I'm confusing it with another plan, but it was very similar.

Anyway, here's a quick sketch of the room with the TV....and the sectional will probably be a little bigger than I've drawn it. So a slightly smaller one might be a better fit.

Also, leather is a hard surface, compared to fabric. If you have any concerns about echoes, this will not help much. My SIL has a beautiful new remodeled great room, with open kitchen, dining and family area. No carpet, no drapes, lots of wood and leather....and it ECHOES!!!!

She did add some area rugs and a few pillows, but it still echoes. Something to think about...

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Another idea...what about a two-seat reclining upholstered sofa? Maybe with a leather ottoman on wheels? You could roll it towards the chairs when you want to recline.

Perhaps a cabinets with shelves above, on one side of the fireplace and a larger window on the other? This would give you some book storage and a place to keep the DVD and videos, etc.

One more thing to consider....as people get older, many find it difficult to get up out of a sofa or sectional. Having a few sturdy/larger reading chairs or even recliners, might be worth considering.

• Sam S.
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wow!! You guys are awesome!! Thank you for your tips and suggestions. After seeing the 3 seat right facing sofa on that wall of windows, I agree that will really be just too big for our room. We've actually seen the sectional in person and that was the one that the hubster gave his ok on. :) I think what I will do is take my tape measure and some masking tape and actually tape out in the LR the sofa and see how it looks size-wise and go from there. We've always had leather and we just love it. It's held up well over the years for us. I also like the idea of adding a coffee table of some sort too. We love to entertain and yes, where will people put their snacks and drinks? LOL.

• Sam S.
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thought I would update on how our house turned out!! We just absolutely love it!! Lazy Boy helped us find the sectional that worked perfectly. I used some key pieces that meant something to us as well. Thank you all for your tips! Now to figure how to display family pics without putting a ton of holes in the wall. lol

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

What wonderful pictures. I love your home!! Nice job pulling it all together!!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

OH it is just Beautiful!!! LOVE the round ottoman. thank you for coming back in to show us how it turned out for you.