SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Turkey Tetrazinni hand pie? Other hand-held food?

bbstx
7 years ago

DD is expecting twins this fall! I've read that hand-held food is really helpful for new parents. I've been thinking of what I could put into a pastry pocket. For some reason, turkey tetrazinni came to me. Below is my recipe. If I were to leave out the pasta, how should I amend the recipe to make it hand-pie suitable? To make it more of a meal, would you add veggies to the pie? Maybe some green peas or small-diced carrots?

Turkey Tetrazinni

• 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Tblsp. butter
  • basil or thyme to taste, if desired
  • 1 pound spaghettini, cooked and drained
  • Bechamel Sauce
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1/2 cup flour
    • 1 cup hot milk
    • 1 cup chicken stock
    • salt, to taste
    • 1/2 tsp pepper
    • pinch nutmeg, optional
    • sherry or vermouth, to taste (appx. 1/2 cup)
    • 1 cup heavy cream
    • 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
    • 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Saute mushrooms. Add herbs.
  1. Make bechamel sauce. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. When bubbling stir in flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until it begins to froth and flour smells cooked. Do not let brown. Slowly whisk in milk and stock. Cook, stirring until thickened (sauce will be very thick). Add salt, pepper, and, if desired, nutmeg. Add wine and cream. Thin with milk, if necessary. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan, stir until melted. Remove sauce from heat
  2. In a large bowl, combine, pasta, bechamel, mushrooms, and chicken or turkey. Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Turn into large broiler-proof casserole, sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Run under broiler until brown and bubbly.

Comments (9)