SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klseiverd

waffle maker cooking??

anoriginal
7 years ago

I don't use my waffle iron that often but want to make it a MULTI-tasker as much as possible. One just waffles, niece (about 13 at the time) had NO idea what waffle iron was when I hauled it out... even after opening it up. I found that truly sad that the ONLY waffles she has EVER had came from the freezer. Same with actually seeing pop-corn pop... but that's another story.

Saw something a while ago about making a waffle iron potato pancake. Shredded/squeezed raw potatoes and onions, an egg, seasoning, a few TBSP flour. I was concerned that it would get too dark (burnt) before potatoes cooked. Wasn't a "fail" but I like mine crispier than WI made them.

Then saw/heard/read recipe about a "savory" pizza waffle. Basic waffle batter with chopped pepperoni, seasonings, etc. After cooking, topped with pizza sauce and cheese and into oven till melted. Again not a "fail" but would need some tweaking to be a total keeper for me.

Just saw the "fried green tomatoes" done in a WI. THAT looks interesting, but wondering what kind of mess it might leave WI in? Don't know if I'd want to try in waffle iron that didn't have removable plates. Mine is a $5, yard sale, round thing. The heavy cast iron plates come out to flip and become a sandwich press/grill. Well seasoned even after minimal use... nothing sticks. Seller might have gotten $10 at yard sale if they called it a "retro pannini maker"?!?

NOT the kind of appliance that's coming out soon in the heat wave we're going into... that really kick out a LOT of heat. WHAT have you cooked, other than everyday waffles in your iron?

Comments (19)