waffle maker cooking??

anoriginal

I don't use my waffle iron that often but want to make it a MULTI-tasker as much as possible. One just waffles, niece (about 13 at the time) had NO idea what waffle iron was when I hauled it out... even after opening it up. I found that truly sad that the ONLY waffles she has EVER had came from the freezer. Same with actually seeing pop-corn pop... but that's another story.

Saw something a while ago about making a waffle iron potato pancake. Shredded/squeezed raw potatoes and onions, an egg, seasoning, a few TBSP flour. I was concerned that it would get too dark (burnt) before potatoes cooked. Wasn't a "fail" but I like mine crispier than WI made them.

Then saw/heard/read recipe about a "savory" pizza waffle. Basic waffle batter with chopped pepperoni, seasonings, etc. After cooking, topped with pizza sauce and cheese and into oven till melted. Again not a "fail" but would need some tweaking to be a total keeper for me.

Just saw the "fried green tomatoes" done in a WI. THAT looks interesting, but wondering what kind of mess it might leave WI in? Don't know if I'd want to try in waffle iron that didn't have removable plates. Mine is a $5, yard sale, round thing. The heavy cast iron plates come out to flip and become a sandwich press/grill. Well seasoned even after minimal use... nothing sticks. Seller might have gotten $10 at yard sale if they called it a "retro pannini maker"?!?

NOT the kind of appliance that's coming out soon in the heat wave we're going into... that really kick out a LOT of heat. WHAT have you cooked, other than everyday waffles in your iron?

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac92

No need to cook anything else....waffles are good enough....
BUT.....if you take 2 slices of very thin sandwich bread and top one with a slice of deli ham, and a slice of non-smoked provolone and spread the other slice with mustard, put it atop the cheese and butter the top, then put it butter side down on a preheated waffle iron and butter the top, shut the iron and cook for about 3 minutes until nicely browned.....you will have a yummy grilled cheese with waffle indents.

2 Likes Save    
plllog

We had a thread about this...last year? Apparently there are dorms where waffle makers are allowed but not toaster ovens or electric skillets. Maybe they're harder to set on fire? Plus, a lot of parents are more eager to let them go than the appliances they're actually using. So there are a bunch of recipes out there for things from ingredients readily available in college canteens. Grilled cheese is at the top of the list, naturally.

I once tried to make a Parmesan waffle. The first one came out fairly well, but left gunk in the waffle iron, and the batch got progressively worse, even though we got most of the gunk out between. It wasn't fun. The amount of butter and kind of cheese in Linda's sandwich probably make cleaning easier. It's something to consider, however.

So, keeping that in mind, I've heard of waffled boneless chicken, cookie dough and watermelon (though I can't figure out why the last would work). Young and desperate are probably essential ingredients. :)

1 Like Save    
morz8

I had a chocolate cookie recipe that was done in the waffle iron, not sure I could lay my hands on it and have not made them many years. I do remember them as being a soft cookie, and being somewhat time consuming with no more individual cookies as would fit without touching while cooking.

I need a new waffle maker/iron. Mine all these years was my grandmothers, Proctor before they merged and became Proctor-Silex. It has been amazing, perfect waffles with no oiling, no greasing, no sticking, no washing just wipe clean. It is finally not heating one quadrant, I miss it. Well, I have it not being able to discard it, but I miss using it ;0

1 Like Save    
plllog

Have you tried getting it fixed? Those old things are often actually fixable.

2 Likes Save    
morz8

No, I haven't taken it anywhere. I'd assumed at 60+ years old there probably wouldn't be an element - or whatever has failed - available. But I may do that, or at last take it apart if possible and see what might be going on.....

Save    
anoriginal

pillog... like dorm residents would all follow the rules of what is/isn't allowed! Back in the stone age there was a thing we called a "stinger"... metal coil device that went into a mug of water to heat it up. They w ere ABSOLUTELY BANNED in the dorms, but the was at least one in every room?!? It had no on/off and was literally "red hot" when at max capacity. Don't recall any accidents or even "legends" of accidents, but you knew to NEVER leave them out so they could be seen.

Save    
plllog

I guess I must have been in college in the iron age, because those were the only heating devices we were allowed to use in our rooms. Probably because they don't start fires. :) There was one iron for each suite. It was a wood building, however, with exposed wood walls and fire was a real issue. There might have been an old wiring issue as well. I think hair appliances were allowed in the bathroom but not the bedrooms. We didn't break those rules--possibly because each building had a full kitchen for student use--though the occasional candle did appear...

Nowadays, a lot of the college kids say they're allowed to have waffle makers, small microwaves, hot water kettles and many other small appliances. Perhaps because of upgraded wiring? Probably not those old wood buildings, though...

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

The one time I made hash browns in the waffle iron, it was a major mess and pain to clean. Never again. That's why we have skillets.

Save    
ci_lantro

Bumblebeez, your experience is exactly why I have been skeert to try the waffle iron hash browns. I have a vintage iron w/ the cast plates and, once you get them seasoned just right, you don't want to mess with them! Probably the best way to deal with the mess would be to just keep cooking them til they're real crispy, hoping that the mess will come unglued? I have a built in griddle on my cooker that makes great hash browns when I don't mind extra heat in the kitchen so that's reason enough to not go there with the waffle iron.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Lars/J. Robert Scott

My grandmother had a waffle iron with reversible plates, and so she could use it for pancakes as well as waffles, but we liked waffles so much that that's what she generally made. I make waffles fairly frequently but do not use my waffle iron for anything else. Still I would not be without it.

Save    
gellchom

Mine doesn't have reversible plates; it has a carousel design. I have made paninis in it with great success.

Save    
writersblock (9b/10a)

. Don't recall any accidents or even "legends" of accidents,

I personally know a cruise ship musician who accidentally set her cabin on fire and had to pay more for the redecorating than she was paid for the cruise.

Save    
plllog

I wonder if parchment paper would work? But at the point that you're making it that way, given an actual kitchen, is it worth being able to say you're making the waffle maker do more stuff? I don't get an electric cake pop maker, other than for small children to bake in away from dinner being made, when one could as easily use a cake pop mold in the oven. Given that an electric waffle maker is so much easier to use than a stovetop waffle iron, and that it doesn't take up too much more room, does it really need multiple functions? If you don't have another contact grill or grill press, perhaps it's a good substitute, like for the grilled cheese sandwich or panini. People over stress the whole "nothing that has only one purpose" idea. Yes, you can use a fork or spoon to juice an orange, but a good reamer really does work better. You can't make waffles without some kind of waffle iron/maker, so why not just let it be a waffle maker?

Save    
Anna Morrison

My world has just been destroyed, lol, I used my waffle maker just for waffles.

Save    
Jim Mat

Thanksgiving leftovers in a waffle iron.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

My grandsons know only freezer Eggo waffles and would turn up their noses at homemade waffles. I love my homemade waffles.

Save    
Okulis Intin

I'm missing so much my granny with her waffle cones she made for us( We moved to another state last year, she remained there. I'm waiting so much for that moment when the pandemic will stop and we'll visit her... Besides, when we left, she started to prepare these waffle cones with ice cream for kids around the neighbourhood. She even purchased a special waffle cone maker thanks to https://ladi6.com/waffle-cone-makers/. This article gave her a brief view of the features it should have. If I'm not mistaken, she bought Chef Buddy 82-MM1234. Dreaming of the moment I taste her homemade ice-cream and hug her...

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I got hungry for waffles reading this and made them for brunch today. I haven't made waffles in a few years with the kids gone.

Save    
petalique

Morz8, I think that’s like an old WI I had years ago and gave away when I moved. Mistake ;)

If you are a tinkering type, you can “pop the hood” — open it up and check the wiring on the inside. Unplug first, natch. It could be that a bit of the wire broke oxidized) or a connector wiggled loose. These old times can have oxidized worn wiring, but the are not very complicated. Snap a phot of it?! There might just be a fix on YouTube.

Making a pizza in one might cause the WI to always reek of pizza.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Organizing Mood Makers: Boost Your Home's Usefulness and Beauty
You can add storage, organizing and cooking assets without sacrificing an ounce of style these days — just follow these tips from a pro
Full Story
Home Tech Cook Smarter With New Wi-Fi Kitchen Gadgets
Whip up meals with high-tech help, thanks to a phone-connected oven and teakettle, plus a web-surfing cutting board
Full Story
Homes Around the World My Houzz: A Musician and a Maker Create a Home With Good Vibes
A young creative couple use the bare necessities and some maker magic to turn their home into something truly special
Full Story