Costs for assisted living, independent living and nursing home

kathyg_in_mi

I've been researching places for my mother. What I have found so far is.....

Independent living = your own apartment with a dining room (no more cooking) and once a week maid service, transportation also available, costs around $3,000 monthly.

Assisted living can go from $3,500 to $6,000 depending how much help is needed.

Nursing home is $7,000 to $8,000 per month.

My Mom was in independent living until she fell and fractured pelvis and had a brain bleed. Then she went into a rehab place. There, she fell again, fractured collar bone.

Now I have been told she needs 24 hour care, so I have chosen a nursing home for her near me (I live 3 hours north and this has really taken a toll on me).

Needless to say this has been a real eye opener for my family. I have sold her house, am cleaning out her apartment and have to decide what stays and what goes. My house is small and no basement.

We will get thru this, but it's not easy!

Kathy G in MI

SaveComment8Like1
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Your costs are almost opposite here. With some differences. Independent living which depends on if you have a down payment or on a month to month with no down payment can range from $800, no meals, to $2,500, with two meals. No one seems to have three meals. Assisted living base cost is about $5,000 plus attendant care which can run from $800 up to about $4,000. Once a person needs the $4,000 range many Assisted living places will no longer care for them. Nursing homes seem to use the Medicare/Medicaid unwritten guidelines, means I have not found it in writing, of mid $5,000. Niece wanted us to move to Minneapolis and the range for assisted living there was between $8,000 to $11,000.

If like my husband you need two attendants to care for family member or they are over 250 pounds you must use a nursing home as assisted living places will not accept. I was initially looking at assisted living places for him. He has some form of dementia then developed a UTI. Unexplained consequence he could not stand or walk for months afterward. Should have no connection but it happened. Since he was 318 at that time the hospital doctors would only release him to a nursing home. He is down to 246 in the nine months he has been there. After that explanation his nursing home costs $5,548.61 a month with extra charge for medicine. This is in the mid range of nursing home costs in this area.

A suggestion for anyone looking for a nursing home is to look at ones that accept Medicaid patients. They are inspected at least once a year and are generally better at record keeping and seemed cleaner when I was looking. We are lucky??? that we will not have to worry about Medicaid for at least ten years or so.

Save     Thanked by kathyg_in_mi
kathyg_in_mi

Interesting 01. Mom is down to 92 pounds, they keep trying to get her to gain weight. I figure, at $8,000 per month we have nearly 3 years in funds. When the $ get low, she can get some VA help too. K

Save    
maifleur01

Start with the VA now as it takes time to gather all of the documents necessary and get on various lists. Is she the veteran or her husband? There may be a veterans home in your area when that time comes. I do not know if spouses are accepted at the homes. Some areas contract with private nursing homes to provide the care where homes are lacking. Cost depends on each state but most are around $2,000 a month. BIL suggested I sign up for Aid and Assistance but there is a income limitation for that. Try and find a book "Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors" mine has "Updated 2014" so probably is the last one available.

Save    
jakkom

>>A suggestion for anyone looking for a nursing home is to look at ones that accept Medicaid patients. >>

Wouldn't work in CA. All the better rated eldercare facilities DO NOT TAKE Medicaid-only patients. You must have sufficient financial resources for at least several years on A/L to be accepted as a resident.

If you run out of funds, some will let you stay and will apply for Medicaid on your behalf. Of the 8 we investigated, 3 would do that. The other 5 made the indigents leave as soon as a bed in a Medicaid-only facility was available.

Medicaid-only facilities here are almost all in the lowest 25% percentile on quality of care.

Senior-only housing complexes are rated differently. Most will not provide any care, limited meal plans but regular housekeeping and check-ins. Anyone needing medical assistance must pay and arrange for outside assistance on their own. The facilities may or may not restrict outside providers to an approved list.

State rankings for full-care facilities (not senior-only housing) are published yearly, available on CA's website. Not the easiest format to read, but easy to find.

Save    
maifleur01

I did not say Medicaid only facilities but ones that will accept Medicaid. I agree that there is a vast difference in some areas between the two. I was also posting about Nursing Homes not Assisted Living. Assisted Living is self-pay.

Save    
sushipup1

And not all of California is the same. My 92 yr old friend could no longer live alone, and at 6 one morning just before Christmas, she was outside wandering the apartment complex knocking on doors asking what time it was. Her DIL got her admitted to the hospital with the doctor's assistance. They played the system after that. After 3 days, she was transferred to the nicest nursing home in Salinas. The DIL (divorced from the son, who had died 6 years ago) had already done some of the Medicaid paperwork. Income was SS only, about $1600 a month. She was transferred to Medicaid after 20 days. The nursing home has rules that they have to accept so many Medicaid patients, percentage of their population. She is doing well, altho increasingly disoriented, but safe, and she's there to stay.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I was thinking about this last night. When I was looking for a place for my husband I did not find any Medicaid only Nursing Homes in this area. Will have to look on the states listing of NH's to see if there are any in this area. Sushipup you are correct about having to accept a certain number of Medicaid patients in NHs if Medicare will be paying part of the costs. This is primarily after hospital care homes.

Save    
sushipup1

Yes, to qualify, one must first spend three days (three midnights, technically) in a hospital. Medicare covers the first 20 days in the nursing home.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design How Much Does a Kitchen Makeover Cost?
See what upgrades you can expect in 3 budget ranges, from basic swap-outs to full-on overhauls
Full Story
Housekeeping Another Independence Day: When Kids Can Do Their Laundry
Set yourself free and give your child a valuable life skill at the same time
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 8 Remodeling Costs That Might Surprise You
Plan for these potential budget busters to keep a remodeling tab from escalating out of control
Full Story