SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Puppy!

robo (z6a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My husband and I brought home our first puppy today, a goldendoodle named Penny. She is very cuddly and cute and seems somewhat laid back as puppies go. She is hesitant in new situations so we are going to work hard to socialize her in the next few weeks before the terrible teens hit!

Comments (104)

• rubyclaire
    7 years ago

Puppy love! What a gorgeous girl - enjoy :)

• maddielee
    7 years ago

Oh my! I want her!

ML

• Related Discussions

Did you know that puppy saliva can stain?

Q

Comments (19)
    I have only had one piece of furniture stain from dog drool and licking-- and it was the one piece with guardian protection. I wonder if it isnt a chemical reaction with their protection chemicals and saliva?? It sounded like Guardian was sure aware of the problem. I have a mastiff/rottie mix-- and she has an adrenal tumor so she drools a lot. None of my clothes, rugs or other furniture have been stained. I had to replace the sofa because the seats and arms were a mess (she liked to lay on the sofa with her head draped over the arm-- in fact, both my dogs love pillows or headrests.. what a princess!) FWIW, I have been told that licking furniture, rugs, and the air are all signs of an upset tummy. Grace gets an upset tummy often from her cancer and as soon as I see her licking anything, I give her a pepcid. It works like a charm. As for the throw-- I wouldnt worry about waterproofing unless your puppy also "leaks". All you need is a barrier between her tongue/damp feet and the fabric-- she shouldnt be generating enough saliva to wet through the throw into the upholstery.
    ...See More

Need advice about my 10 month old Havanese puppy

Q

Comments (17)
    I also have a 10 month old Havanese puppy. These are sometimes referred to as "velcro" dogs, as their attachment and bond with their human is very strong. They want to be with you constantly and will follow you from room to room, even into the bathroom! They also tend to get stressed out if left alone for extended periods so if you work all day and the dog will be left alone, this is probably not the best breed for you. They can become destructive and psychologically impaired if left alone much. Havanese are also highly intelligent and easy to train. They don't require a lot of exercise but appreciate a good daily romp outside as well as regular walks. And they LOVE toys....of all sorts. Stuffed toys with squeakies, balls, chew toys, tug ropes. And they like them best if YOU play with them with the toy - keep-away, fetch, tug of war. These are wonderful, playful and very affectionate little dogs that want nothing more than to be with their human all the time!! 😊
    ...See More

Puppy People - Puppy feeding and watering question

Q

Comments (8)
    When does he go to bed?? The feeding schedule sounds about right, unless you're going to bed at about 8:30. You want him to have enough time to go to the bathroom before going to sleep. Same deal with the water, take it up with enough time for him to go outside at least once before bed so he's not going to bed with a full bladder. Some dogs will vomit up yellow bile if they haven't eaten for too long, 12 hours MAY be too long for his age, although probably fine. If he does vomit bile in the morning - try bumping his last feeding up a little bit to see if that helps - or you could also move the morning feed back a bit, if it's feasible. Also if you do notice bile - you could save a small portion of his dinner, to give to him at bed time. If that's allowed. Usually they only need a little nibble to keep their tummy settled through the night.
    ...See More

My Puppy Garden with a big white cat

Q

Comments (9)
    I like hanging baskets too and would grow more of them except for the watering. The little white butterflies that bring the green cabbage worms that eat my Calibrachoa and Petunia blossoms have already hatched and had their dinners so that solves some of the watering problems. I don't go to the trouble of cutting them back and waiting for them to regrow.....I of course love seeing garden cats on duty. Beowolf looks to be a sturdy watch cat that will keep your Kale safe from marauding rabbits.............Maryl
    ...See More
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

I know this is a long thread and I know there is nothing to be added, but I just wanted to say congratulations! She is the cutest and I know you will love being her mom. If I lived closer, I would be in line for Not-Penny. Give Penny a pat and a scritch from me. Oh, and keep the pictures coming!

• User
    7 years ago

I know the various schools of thought can be controversial. I think if I understand correctly that one does more treats in the beginning as a physical guide then phases them out as dog catches on (or award only for the next step). But I'll find out more in puppy class in 2 weeks!

We called that "fading" the lure and it's fine to work with food treats. Dogs can be VERY motivated by food, and I swear, it makes training so much easier if you can find the dog's currency.

If it's food, great!

We use the PetSafe treat pouch and it's perfect for easy reaching and holding things like keys and phones on walks.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Congrats!!!! That is the cutest puppy! YES! Keep the pics coming.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

Penny is way too young to determine her intelligence. Most puppies are nitwits anyway. lol. Plus, they're kind of immature for two years.

My late Gracie who was an English Pointer would totally ignore me (inside the house) when I called her at times. But she understood many phrases.

"Do you want to play ball?"

"Time for bed!" She slept with us and she'd get off the sofa and get in bed. Head on pillow. :)

"Scoot over!" When she hogged the bed she learned to scoot her bottom over. Now that was just precious I tell you.

Repetition is the key to learning.

As far as treats go, I'm thinking the tiny bite sized treats are used for rewards. But milkbones are given as a snack. The dogs who participate in dog show's constantly get rewarded with the little treats.

Get a whistle to keep with you when you start taking Penny out when she's off leash. You can practice in the yard. It's for "Recall," to make sure she comes to you when hearing the whistle, should she stray too far.

Weigh yourself today, then weigh again in a week. You'll probably lose a few pounds! I always lose weight when I get a new puppy, mostly due to taking them outside constantly.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

She is less clingy today. Even voluntarily went in her xpen which yesterday seemed like a torture chamber. Currently pooped and enjoying a nap in her crate (she gets mostly non crate time). Loves napping in armpits. Mostly sleeps with her head up which is weird.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Oh, enjoy her - that's all just enjoy her <3

• blfenton
    7 years ago

So many likes and chuckles and aaaawwwws on this thread. Love it.

• inthetrees
    7 years ago

Congratulations! Penny is precious. I'm happy for you all :)

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

So cute!!

• tinam61
    7 years ago

What a little love she is! I love doodles! I may be a bit partial as we have a poodle/yorkie mix (yorki-poo) also from a breeder. Only because we specifically wanted that breed and could not find one around here. We didn't crate, although I have nothing against it, we just chose not to. We also took our pup to puppy obedience classes - I can't remember how old she was when we did that. She (and us too) learned alot! Congrats to all of you - she is adorable.

• User
    7 years ago

Those are some really wonderful pictures! She's so photogenic, I love the pic of you with her in the car, it's like she's doing a photo bomb!. LOL

You've gotten a lot of feedback already but after reading about the ear infections, I can't help but offer this little tid bit of info too. Dogs who have flappy ears are prone to ear infections especially if they love water, our lab sure was however, she was also having problems with itching and yeastie paws so a couple of years ago our vet recommended having her Allergy tested, which we did. She came back positive for mite allergies which was pretty much a given but it also said she was allergic to yeast! While a lot of people disclaim it, my vet said that in addition to some dog treats, a lot of the dog foods have Brewers Yeast in them and that too can cause the ear infections and itchy paws. Her food at the time did so I changed her food to something yeast free and she hasn't had an ear infection or yeastie itchy paws since. Just something to keep in mind.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Oh, robo, the pics keep getting cuter and cuter.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sleeping through her first thunderstorm. When it was time to potty I took the freeze dried liver outside and we practiced "come here", "sit" and "up" in the pouring rain with thunder and lightning all around. Didn't bother her a bit. She will now settle well in her crate but frantically hates being locked in the xpen so my goal for the week is to get her quietly playing in her pen.

• User
    7 years ago

A tired puppy is a happy puppy :c)

I love how she just sprawls out!. Ha!

• bpath
    7 years ago

"Penny is way too young to determine her intelligence. Most puppies are nitwits anyway. lol. Plus, they're kind of immature for two years."

Oakley, our standard poodle had a litter, and among the personalities were two very smart puppies. We called them Bonnie and Clyde, and they (especially Bonnie) were the first to figure out how to get out of their box, then their bigger box, and cracked every code we could come up with to keep them in their room. They opened doors, flipped gates, you name it. A neighbor bought Bonnie, and reported that she was too smart for her britches. One afternoon they came home to find that Bonnie had scratched and chewed her way through a wood door to get to the air-conditioned room.

Robo, Penny is a little doll, and I love her name!

• westsider40
    7 years ago

I am so happy for you, robo and mr. Robo. This is a wonderful time. you are excellent, well informed, caring, loving, hard working parents. I remember our beloved standard poodle who was so smart and sweet for over 13 years. Enjoy. I love all the pics esp the car where you robo are melting and birch point. Oh boy, i love these and miss our puppy. It's like a huge void.

• practigal
    7 years ago

I always try for the quieter sweet dog. When they realize the house, the yard and the new "owners" are all just for them, even the quietest dog gets lively....and look she has you getting up all night long- see what a great job she has done training you already!

When you take her outside to tell her that she needs to do her "duty", be sure and use the same words each time (a lot of people like to say "get busy") this helps when you're in different location that she's not the familiar with, when she hears the word she knows what she supposed to do even n the new location.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Hi pretty puppy!

• jenniferchantal
    7 years ago

Penny is beautiful! We just brought home a golden doodle puppy a few weeks ago. Hunter is just about 11 weeks and such a fun loving dood. And you'll happy to know that he is already doing stretches of 3-4 hours before whining to go potty at night so it does get better quickly! Hopefully you won't have too many nights getting up every hour and a half.

Congrats! And enjoy her.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Robo - our breeder gave us a suggestion to help our puppy acclimate to her crate. She told us to feed her in her crate to help her adjust. That might help Penny in her pen.

• User
    7 years ago

My dogs RUN to the crate/pen (lab/bichon) because they get yummy treats when they go inside. It was a bit tough to get our rescue lab to happily go into her crate, but now, she knows it's full of delicious treats and she can take a nice, quiet and cool nap next to her brother.

eta: Good Morning, Penny!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Penny only gets fed two ways– –rewards for training and handling, e.g. getting brushed, and in her crate in chewtoys or hidden around the crate. I also have a little Xpen set up to help with crate training that's attached to the crate.

now crate for sleeping is no problem, she seems to know when it's bedtime and settles pretty well probably also because we set the crate up beside our bed. Closed crate during the day or xpen usually leads to lots of screaming, although I only ever let her out when she stops screaming.

Meanwhile I was busy cleaning the kitchen while she was penned in the living room, which is where we spend most of our time with her, and she could not have cared less that I was gone and is fast asleep. What I realized this morning is that the living room is a fun place because we all spend lots of time there and she gets lots of enrichment there. The X pen is not a fun place because we put her in there as a puppy playpen when we need to go do something else. Despite the fact that it has lots of treats and toys, what it hasn't had is people, and what she really wants right now is to be around people.

so...gotta think on next steps.

Puppy training human. The tarp is temporary but she had two accidents on it her first day so I'm glad it's down!

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Penny is adorable! Have fun.

• User
    7 years ago

You are smart to not give her treats other than training and handling. I made the mistake of giving my dog bits of what I was eating every now and then and boy am I paying for it! You should see him waiting for the crust of my pizza.....big mistake! I do think treats are great for training though, esp. when used when starting clicker training.

• User
    7 years ago

My dogs think I'm a Pez dispenser!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just in case you wanted more puppy pics

checking out the lake

Post lake snuggles

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Awww, robo it should be illegal to be that cute!

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Just tooooo cute. I wish they would stay puppies forever.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

After all the house training accidents and sleepless nights over the last few days...omg! Hope she grows up quickly! I knew it would be hard but it's quite hard! We take her out very often (every hour, after meals, and after naps) but seem to miss something weird about her schedule mid-afternoon. so thankful for the tarp right now, she seems to at least know to go on the tarp.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Robo , you might already be doing this, but one of the most useful tips told to me was to teach your puppy the words for peeing and pooping. They will be able to pee and poop on command which is very useful when you are traveling or only have a short amount of time to get the job done.

• inthetrees
    7 years ago

It IS exhausting to raise a puppy - especially when you are doing it right! That's why puppies and babies are so cute :) You will be rewarded for all your hard work. I've raised a lot of dogs and four children. The puppies in their early months were the hardest for me because I don't do well with a lack of sleep. At least babies wear diapers.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

They sell puppy training pads at pet supply stores. They apparently have an attractant scent and are so easy to clean up. I've never had a puppy, but used them for my cat who started peeing outside the box and she did learn to use them, too.

• chispa
    7 years ago

Congrats! She is too cute :-)

I think you are giving her too much freedom with the pen and tarp, so she will continue to pee inside. Why hold it when you can just let it out right here and now! Either have her crated or have her out with you -- never leave her unattended while out of the crate at this age. If she looks like she is starting to squat, tell her "no" and take her outside immediately. She will not want to pee in her crate and will learn to hold it a bit longer.

• Springroz
    7 years ago

Oh, my, she is so cute! Congratulations! Love all the pictures!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Chispa-I almost agree with you except if I had her out with me when not crated she would squat on the floor, and if I crated her at all times when not outdoors it would be excessive. I take her outside every hour but I don't have a handle on when she goes after eating and drinking. For example tonight had her out, she did her business. Came back in, she drank some water. Red alert, so I took her out ten minutes later but she didn't go, so I brought her in after 20 minutes thinking I'd go back to her schedule of once an hour. 5 minutes later, pee on the tarp (so 35 minutes after water, 40 minutes after last pee).

Then I was like, ok, she peed so we are home free for indoor playtime, so I let her out to do some zoomies, 15 minutes of zoomies later, she runs to the tarp and squats within 4 seconds (I only had time to say "oh no!" and it was done). She gives no warning, and pees only like a tablespoon at a time so I can't carry her out to finish the business.

What I really regret at this point is I really wanted to puppy pad/litter box train her for now while she is so young but husband objected thinking we could just take her out, now I realize how hard it is to keep up with her tiny bladder but apparently she is now giant tarp trained instead of teeny pee pad trained >:(

• User
    7 years ago

What I really regret at this point is I really wanted to puppy pad/litter box train her for now while she is so young but husband objected thinking we could just take her out, now I realize how hard it is to keep up with her tiny bladder but apparently she is now giant tarp trained instead of teeny pee pad trained >:(

I think the concept is the same insofar as getting a puppy to transition from sanctioned inside place, to outdoors.

Hang in there and don't get worried or frustrated at this point. It takes time and Penny will begin to understand potty is for outside. Everything is new. Every single thing. She's learning so much in that little brain of hers and has so many accomplishments ahead!

This is just one part of your journey with her.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also in writing that out I had a brain flash which is that I just asked my husband to pick up a different tarp (different texture) and I am going to cut up this stinky tarp and see if that can be her "pee pad." Hey if she's tarp trained at least that's not a texture she'll find lying around the house on a regular basis.

When I wake her from a nap and rush her outside, 100% success and she always gets treats and praise. So she definitely is already used to going on the grass. But she's not old enough yet/I'm not quick enough yet to alert me when she has to go when not nap time.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This morning Penny put two and two together that she gets a treat when she "comes here" and that a walk could be a long series of her being a statue and then "come here." I'm revising my opinion of her intelligence upwards. I'm also training her to sit before walking through the doorway and she's sitting her little butt down every chance she gets. The positive/lure training really works wonders with puppies.

Raven I like your thinking. She tries to eat the puppy pads but she might try to eat the tarp too.

i think she just doesn't have bladder awareness right now and the only place she definitely will hold it for is her crate. But she's holding it 2-3 hours a time at night.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

She's so darn sweet! Did she venture into the lake herself, or was she guided in on her leash?

In my house, where I have had as many as 4 at a time, mine have a large area of the yard fenced off as their 'puppy pen'. They go down the stairs from the kitchen to the basement, out through two doggie doors, and into that part of the yard. When I get up, and before I go to bed, I say, 'Peeps and Poops!' and they head to the basement in a flash. During the day while I'm working, they just head out any time they want or need to.

The most recent rescue, Ginger, just followed the others, and trained herself in literally minutes to head out there. Penny will, too; she's just a baby and it may take a little bit, but she will learn.

• User
    7 years ago

Robo, you are a smart. kind, compassionate person and so you will figure it out.

Everyone always has an opinion on how you can teach your puppy whatever. Everyone is a dog expert. :-) Having just gone through this with a puppy myself, I can tell you that there is never a one size fits all answer. You are there, you are paying attention, you have a good heart, and you are working with her. Yes it is very hard work.....but you and she will figure it out.

They grow up really fast. It was just 4 months ago I brought my girl home, and it's amazing what she has learned in 4 months. You and she will figure it out. I promise. :)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My3dogs, I enticed her in up to her tummy with treats. She's not exactly scared of it but she doesn't love it either (got her in up to her paws today :)

patriceny, I'm sooooooo happy I took the week off work, you're right, it is hard work!!

here she is having already figured out she can game the system for more treats by being a statue (we are now working on that game).

• User
    7 years ago

here she is having already figured out she can game the system for more treats by being a statue (we are now working on that game).

Do you have a long lead leash? If not, they are very instrumental in training the "recall".

On a leash, call Penny in a high-pitched, happy happy happy voice while running backwards away from her. This is like doggy catnip. She should come running to you with tail wagging. Treat when she reaches you. Repeat.

Throw a treat several feet away and as soon as she's reached and eaten it, give the happy call, 'Penny!!' and treat her when she returns. Repeat.

I'm sure you'll be going through these training exercises formally soon enough!

• chispa
    7 years ago

I was going to suggest you reduce the size of the tarp ... which you figured out yourself!

Some doodles love water and some don't. My neighbors doodle will go into their pool on his own, when he feels hot. Other friend has 2 doodles who have no interest in the pool or water. Good idea to introduce her to water when she is young.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Penny now has 100% reliable sit, 75% recall and a few other tricks up her sleeve (we've been working on down, paw, twirl, speak and leave it).

She definitely has the poodle mischievous personality in my opinion. She already knows that 3 pees = 3 treats for example.

i would like to quit my job and become a full time puppy mom please.

• texanjana
    7 years ago

She is so darned cute!!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Congrats on your new puppy! Just gorgeous.

• chispa
    7 years ago

Great that you can expose her to kids at this age. Make the kids run around, scream, jump, etc. around Penny.

It is hard to get a dog that never grew up with the high energy of younger kids to fully relax around them. My rescue has to be watched around the 6 and under crowd ... their jerky movements cause her to want to chase and nip. Luckily she is a small dog so the danger to a child is very small, but it is tiring having to manage both kids and dog when we have younger kids visit.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida