SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pfarrelli

Odd light green grass sprouts

pfarrelli
7 years ago

Okay, so here it is mid July. We have had a decent summer with normal rain/storms, temps in the 80s and several stretches of hot 90+ degree weather in upstate New York. I have been doing a decent job of lawn care since we moved in three years ago. Watering, fertilizing, etc. I even did a dormant over-seed late last winter with Scotts Sun and Shade. It is hard to tell but it certainly looked up until now, that that it worked and I have a thiscker decent lawn.

However, over the past week, I am beginning to see individual sprouts and patches of light green grasses popping up. They seem to grow faster than my normal darker grass. They look like new sprouts as though they are just now germinating which I find odd. What grass takes this long to germinate after many weeks of very warm and sometimes hot weather? I don't think it is crabgrass as I put a pre emergent down in April and I have not seen any crabgrass up until very recently. I now see some coming up the past few week in some bare spots and near the sidewalk. I am surprised it is germinating this late really.

I was wondering if someone could identify this odd grass, advise me if it is a problem grass, and if so how to get rid of it. It really doesn't look that nice honestly.

Below are some photos I took this AM.

Thanks a ton!!

Comments (46)