SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_rockland

bobo hydrangea and pruning so it doesn't flop

mary_rockland
7 years ago

I bought a few bobo hydrangeas this summer and found they had nice little heads that didn't flop. They were somewhat bushy and branched plants. Then I went to one of the better nurseries around and noticed theirs. They were odd looking plants with a few disproportionately gigantic cone heads that were really unappealing and on the verge of flopping over. Had I seen these first I never would have considered buying a bobo.

I have noticed some mention of pruning them back to a set of two buds, but as mine are just new to me this year I had no interest in the pruning aspect yet. But....now it occurs to me that perhaps the difference in the plants was merely early pruning. Wondering - if you don't prune them back (so that each stem becomes two - therefore at least two flower heads)) when they are young perhaps you get half as many flower heads and these large floppy heads.

Any feedback from those who have grown her for several years? I'm also wondering - can one apply this sort of pruning technique to other paniculatas to achieve more and smaller flowerheads so that they are smaller or look more delicate and don't droop?

Comments (10)