SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hannahptl

Window placement for flanking stove hood

mathnmusic
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Please help me place windows on the wall of the range hood! I've been holding off my contractor from putting in the 2 windows while I try to decide on cabinets, but sheetrock's going up tomorrow, so the windows need to go in today or tomorrow AM.

The very awesome mama goose has very kindly and generously drawn up this possible layout for the window-wall, which I love because it gives me cabinets for all my spices:

I've had a few thoughts since then...

Should the windows be staggered with the cabinet heights, or aligned?

Also, I've decided to change the type of range hood, to this (a la HGTV Fixer Upper, love that style):

but my cabinets will be this ivory/beige color, not white as above:

Will this combination look harmonious on the wall??

Will this layout look strange with single ivory cabinets flanking the brown wood hood on the wall? Should the hood and cabinets match in color to look like a cohesive unit (ie both brown)? Does it look too disjointed with the different colors? I was planning to paint the walls white or light blue in the kitchen, but if it's better to do an ivory wall color (to blend the cabinets in), I could do that instead. When you look at the wall, you'll see (from left to right):

window, ivory cabinet, brown wood hood, ivory cabinet, window

Or should I nix the cabinets flanking the hood altogether (and just center the windows next to the hood)? I do love my spice cabinets nearby, so this isn't my preference but will do it if it's awkward or too crowded to keep the cabinets. I'd almost be willing to forgo the wood hood cover, and do a stainless steel vent hood instead, if that would look better with the cabinets.

Here's some background info:

-windows are 18x36, with white gridlines (mullions?), with 3-inch trim

-range is 30-inch, as is the range hood

-the range wall is 11 ft 6 inches long, with 8-foot ceiling

-there are no other windows in the kitchen since it's interior to the house, but kitchen does open up onto the playroom & dining rooms, both of which get lots of light

-whole kitchen is now G-shaped (we started out the remodel with a dead-end galley kitchen), 11.5 ft by 13.5 ft (this is the remodel plan below, we've tweaked it some - centering the sink on the wall, moving fridge over a tad, and switching sink and dishwasher)

Oh my, I don't know why the photos are so honkin' huge, please pardon.

Any other comments before the windows go in?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (47)