SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zomick

heat stress is stressing me out (6b)

zomick
7 years ago

So I have 10 young citrus trees (grown from seed) that are for the most part doing well. Nice color, putting on new growth, etc. However the last week or so we have gotten some serious heat and I've been struggling with balancing their watering and location to deal with heat stress. I finally feel like i stuck a good balance - moved them out of the greenhouse to an area with full sun for much of the day but nice shade for couple hours in the morning and again in late afternoon, and have been misting them mid-day on the very hot days.

All the trees are citron, but there are 3 different varieties. The thing thats puzzling me the last two days is that for 8 of my trees - two of the citron varieties - it looks like its working - the leaves stopped drooping/cupping and they look healthy. But for two of the trees - the last variety - they are looking extremely heat stressed during the day - minor cupping and really droopy. Only in the early evening when its almost dark do they seem to perk up. But is is clearly only these 2 trees - the only two of this particular variety of citron - that are still having a rough time and its driving me a little nuts : )

All the trees are potted in the same mix, watered and fed on the same sched, and subject to the same conditions. Does it make sense that one citrus variety would be more susceptible to heat stress? And more importantly, do i need to stress out about the droopy/cupped leaves if it's clearly a heat thing?

Comments (2)