SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter1242

Root crop bonanza

Peter (6b SE NY)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It is getting very hot, so I decided to pull up all my beets and carrots worth harvesting.

Red Ace Beets

The beets have produced the most I have ever seen (granted, that only spans a few years.) I cannot imagine a more dependable beet than Red Ace. I have harvested 4-5 times this, from this row

It's still pretty thick in there! There will be at least one more harvest before they fizzle out. They were left to grow very thick, 2-4 inch spacing, and it worked out great!

The carrots too, left very thick, maybe every inch even in 3 rows at 4" or so. It was getting very hot and some of them were getting fibrous so I pulled most of them up.

It's a root crop bonanza this year!

Still some carrots left too, but I will pull them all up from my main bed this week to plant my Fall crop. I didn't fertilize the beets or carrots once. I think for the Fall crop I should amend with some fresh compost out of my pile. That's all these crops really need, they are very light feeders.

Unfortunately my lettuce this season has come to a much less triumphant end as summer took it's toll.

How's everyone else making out in the zone 5-6 area?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor