SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hyacinth08

Silicone with clips on frameless shower panel?

hyacinth08
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Our master bathroom has a fixed glass shower panel held in place with clips/clamps. The gaps between the glass and the wall/floor (which are small, less than 1/8" at the floor and the glass is practically flush with the tile at the wall, the only visible gaps are at the grout lines) were filled with silicone, which has grown mold/mildew between the silicone and the glass. As I was scraping the silicone out to clean and reseal, I found myself wondering if the silicone between the glass and tile is truly essential, or if it's more of a personal preference thing depending on how you feel about getting a little splash water outside the shower. There are no shower heads/jets that point at the panel, it runs parallel to the water stream. So, is the silicone necessary, or just personal preference? Why/why not? Thanks!

Edited to add a second question -- As I'm cleaning this, how terrible an idea would it be to completely remove the glass wall to clean it thoroughly and then reinstall it? If it's not a terrible idea, any tips or things I should know?

Comments (4)