SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nkaront13_oh6b

Okay Alternative to Sphag and Bag?

Nyna_OH6b
7 years ago

I'm trying to rescue my Aunt's Phal. It's been through hell: it was a grocery store buy, dyed blue, sat in a window at her house on top of a space heater, and overwatered. It was drenched. I was over one day and saw it was suffering and brought it home. I've had it for about 4 months now. After some root rot surgery, repotting in a sphag/bark mixture, and given a south facing window, it rebloomed for me once with four pure white blooms and grown a new leaf and 3 roots about 2 inches long. I ran into the problem of too big a pot, though and the mix would dry out too fast at the top and rot in the bottom? The small roots ended up way too dry and shriveled up...

SO I decided to try to sphag and bag method. Cut off the too dry roots, soaked the entirety of the leaves, upside down, in a gallon and a half of water with about a tbps of seaweed extract and placed it in a large ziplock baggie with damp sphagnum moss, no part of the plant touching it.. It grew mold overnight! So I carefully scraped it off, cleaned with a bit of Listerine, dipped it in more extract, and I now have it placed with leaves teetering on the rim of a small glass with stones covering the bottom with water just below the top of them. It is sitting on a terra cotta plate (I dont have pots without a hole in the bottom and I wanted to be able to see what the potential roots were doing) with water in it as well. I have it where the same South faci ng window is just on a table in the corner so it's farther away but can still see the light? I'm assuming it's pretty humid in there, as there is some condensation forming on the inside of the bag. There was no mold growth overnight. I'm just wondering if this will go anywhere? I would really like to try to save it! There's a nice satisfaction that comes with saving orchids. I'm just a beginner with 8 Phals, two of the saved from clearance at Lowe's, and I love every one of them.

Comments (4)