SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dainaadele

1960 - In all of it's glory

7 years ago

The house in the next block over is for sale. Probably overpriced for the area, because it is probably destined for a major gutting. However, I can't but enjoy imagining how modern and carefully designed it once was. They were probably the envy of many friends. I did meet the couple once as patients. I can't remember what he did, but I believe she was a stay at home mom that raised her kids and did all the "right" community things. The neighborhood was nicknamed "Snob Hill" in our small mid-western town. Here is the listing: Time Travel

Comments (34)

• 7 years ago

Wow, the house is a time capsule! Although it looks like it was kept painstakingly clean, I just can't imagine not changing with the time, which is not to say trendy.

Most people want updated, and that house hasn't been renovated in decades, more like half a century.

I really loved viewing that basement, which is just like my parent's, from the drop ceiling to those tile floors!

• Related Discussions

Here's Tilly in all her glory

Q

Comments (13)
    Rosemarie, You should know better by now than to ask me the name of something,LOL,LOL.I pick up a lot of these kinds of plants at yard sales,farmers markets etc.and they are just as bad as lowes and other stores for not having names on their plants.If i find it out,i'll let you know.I personally call it the "grey ghost. Don't know if i've ever seen one with white blooms,i have some that have bright pink/purple blooms and one that on it's way to be coming a sphere and it has lavendar flowers.It is in bud right now,so a few more weeks and i should see a lot of flowers. Thanks for the compliments everyone. Kathi
    ...See More

H. Old Glory in it's morning glory...

Q

Comments (2)
    My Old Glory is in a tub with two other fairly golden hosta. Until yesterday, it sat in this location where it gets morning sun and all day sun actually. But now I moved those golden hosta into the Back40 for safety beneath a shade covering. Not UP yet, but it soon will be. Meanwhile, I'll take another photo of Old Glory to give it individual attention. Yours is looking might fine.
    ...See More

Alexander in all his glory! (Meyer lemon pics)

Q

Comments (21)
    Laura- it's 5.5 ft tall. Brian - thx . the blooms certainly are beautiful to look at . I already have around 15 larger lemons most likely if the fruitlets don't drop will pick a lot of it . Stefan- truly one would never think all those plants are year round indoors. they r so green n blooming nicely. Gives me hope the LED lights would be a success.
    ...See More

Some Morning Glory Blooms, for All To See.

Q

Comments (10)
    I traded some of all my colors of Clitoria seeds, with a morning glory grower in the vine forum. I got my seeds 2 days ago. I am going to plant them up tomorrow and in a few weeks, if I get germination I will have a dozen different 'Japanese type' fantasy morning glory flowers. (This is about the only 'fun/joy' I have going on. Thus I posted flower pictures all over the garden forums today.)
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

Everything was so thoughtfully done! I think that it would sell quickly if there are jobs in the area... that house would go for well over 1 million in most of Los Angeles.

• 7 years ago

It's an expansive home and the property is gorgeous.

We have a quad split and it's much more spread out than you'd think if you saw it from the street.

• 7 years ago

Dainaadele, my mom's house is a similar situation! Built in 1955, and the only updating has been when something broke and had to be replaced. She has the shaped wood cornice boards in her LR, original kitchen cabinets that have been painted several times (currently med-dark blue), and gray tile on the kitchen floor that is probably asbestos!

My dad died in 1994 and she hadn't changed a single thing inside since then except for repairing broken things. The carpet is tired, the paint is faded, etc.

Donna

• 7 years ago

Love the cabinetry. I'd be tempted to replace the kitchen floor though.

I just don't get how you could live somewhere with kids and have things still looking nice! I need new kids!!!

• 7 years ago

That is truly amazing! It looks to be incredibly well-preserved too. Reminds me of houses I visited in Kansas, where my ex's family lived. Also reminds me of a house that he and I bought as rental property, which was built in the very early 60s and acquired by us from its original owner. Time capsules are so cool!

• 7 years ago

For fun: Anyone want to make a guess at the newest thing in that house? It has to be either the TV in the basement, or the computer in the corner next to the kitchen table, but I can't decide which one is older.... I am going to have to keep looking for an open house date.

If anyone wants to laugh, take a gander at the other listings in our town. Everyone is upset how high the listings are. 'That house would have been around 150K 5 years ago! For shame!' My husband I I relocated here from the Wash DC area in an effort to leave the rat race behind. You sometimes have to just close your eyes and take the leap...

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Wow. I've been in many houses that looked like that. But not for 30 years!

Notice the family pictures over the bed.

I wouldnt gut it. I can see keeping some of it. Not wallpaper or window treatments obviously. Or the kitchen. Though I would preserve the cabinetry for somewhere else in the house.

When I was in HS and college (and beyond!) I painted houses. There were "time capsule" homes. One in particular - Atomic 50s. Complete with original Sputnik light fixtures etc. Nothing was ever touched. We always used the exact same color and kind of paint. And they liked the paint fresh, so every year we redid one or two rooms. The only thing different was one year they got his and hers Cadillac Fleetwoods...because they heard on the news that GM was shrinking the size of their new models and they were afraid they wouldn't be able to get their golf clubs in the trunk. This was late 70s/early 80s.

Anyway...not sure what possesses ppl to keep things as they were.

• 7 years ago

My husband I I relocated here from the Wash DC area in an effort to leave the rat race behind. You sometimes have to just close your eyes and take the leap...

^^^^^

Wish I could click my heels and do the same!!

• 7 years ago

Atomic 50s. Complete with original Sputnik light fixtures etc.

^^^^^^

They're back on trend now!

• 7 years ago

I think it looks great like it is and with just a few minor changes would be perfect. Looks very similar to the house I grew up in that my parents built in 1963. That house in my neighborhood on a half acre lot would sell for about that price plus $1M.

The house next door to me sold 5 years ago to a couple that were thrilled that it looked like a perfect time capsule from 1970 and have changed very little. Original owner left everything alone and kept it perfect for 40 years. Many people left the open houses shaking their heads but the house found the "right" new owners.

• 7 years ago

I would change as little as possible, removing some wallpaper, replacing other wallpaper and replacing some of the shorty drapes with full length. I would peel away some of the post 1960 and replace with period appropriate or new contemporary. I'd even take most of the furniture, it's worth reupholstering.

• 7 years ago

The washer and dryer are certainly newer than mine....

• 7 years ago

I guess the next thing to do is keep an eye on whoever buys it. :D See what they eventually decide to do with the place.

Our neighborhood is odd in that the homes date from 1923 (ours being the oldest) to 1960's, but all were will built, and so are still standing. Our home is pure Craftsman, next door is 1940s "cottage" and across the street is another 1960 ranch. I do love it!

My biggest challenge right now is we finally gutted our kitchen, which was last redone in around 1950. I am having the cabinets custom built to look period appropriate with modern conveniences.

• 7 years ago

I would absolutely buy that house. I wouldn't change much, either: wallpaper, paint, kitchen floor, hall carpet (just WHAT is going on with that?). Love the foyer floor. Reminds me of our last house, also a split-level, but this is much better. I love a good split.

I think the newest things in the house are the washing machines. And speaking of: see the little door above the machines? What is that?

Lovely big double lot. I grew up in a neighborhood where many houses were built across lots. Until the Millenium when developers tore down the rambling ranches, redivided the lots, and built two McMansions. Some were okay, but the overall effect was loss of that open airy suburban feel. My childhood home survived! And now they can't redivide the lots.

The lot is in serous need of landscaping, though.

• 7 years ago

. And speaking of: see the little door above the machines? What is that?

I am thinking enclosed shut-off valves for the washer.

• 7 years ago

The door above the washing machine? Just a guess, but it might be for collecting the ash from the fireplace on the first floor.

We had one in our basement.

• 7 years ago

The newest thing in the house? I really think it might be this! ;-)

• 7 years ago

Funny how totally familiar this house seems to me. Nearly every house of my youth looked just like it. The only thing that makes me very weary is all the wallpaper--just because I've spent significant portions of my life removing wallpaper. Amazing price, too.

• 7 years ago

Frankly I think the house is lovely. It's all tasteful and looks to be in good shape. I am not one who believes you need to update and get new things just because whatever is in "style" is different than what you have. If they liked it, why not keep what was working for them. It's one thing if you have a house that is a plain Jane builder's grade everything and you want to upgrade to something you like that is more interesting, but that house has high-end furniture and finishes already. In fact, other than just refreshing flooring and carpet and wall coverings to match my color scheme, I would keep it as is. All that solid wood MCM furniture is awesome, I wouldn't trade that for cheap fast growing third world import woods or particle board stuff that is ubiquitous nowdays. And I am a HUGE fan of solid wood flat kitchen cabinets. I predict that sooner or later that will become the next "new" thing for kitchens. I can't stand the cheesy cheap stuff that most kitchens are made of now days. Nothing fits tight and it absorbs dirt and there is very little that can be done to it once it is worn. Solid wood can be refinished, sanded, painted--many "new" looks are possible over the life of the kitchen.

• 7 years ago

That basement takes me back to my Grandparents' house on Ohio. Such great memories of that time and place. And so many twin beds! That in itself is very "of the era"

It's a great house. Solid. I hope it finds new owners who appreciate it.

• 7 years ago

Pal, I believe that's right. Mimi, the laundry is just off the kitchen, and there's a fireplace below the fireplace which is in the center of the house, and backs up to the kitchen's oven wall.

• 7 years ago

Love it. The basement is to die for.

• 7 years ago

It takes me back to my childhood. My mom had custom cornices very much like those, and my grandparents had those same brown ovens. I love the basement floor!

• 7 years ago

Our house was built in '64. We bought it in '80 and it had a very similar kitchen, brown appliances, hanging cabinets over the peninsula. We had the pink master bathroom and some of the same floor tiles in our other bathrooms. Also, had wood paneling in our family room, which was common at the time. At that time it was a big deal to have a "first floor family room" and a finished "rec room" in the basement. Thanks for a snapshot of a typical 60's house!

• 7 years ago

OMG I love it, I wouldn't change a thing...well maybe a couple things just slight cosmetic stuff like wallpaper. But it reminds me of a cross between every relative's home in my family just all combined together. The Jesus picture reminded me of my Mom and Dad's home I grew up in. I would give my eye teeth to be able to own a nice big house like that!

• 7 years ago

Love it! Thank you for sharing, really enjoyed seeing the photos of this home. When we were looking for a new home last year we toured a house very similar to this one. Everything original early 60s, my favorite design element was three bubble windows arranged horizontally next to the front door. We thought hard about purchasing it, it was really the type of house we were hoping for, but it was just too small for us. Unfortunately it was bought by a couple who totally gutted the house and updated the exterior to be similar to a current model home. While they stayed with the original footprint of the house they reduced the bedrooms from 4 to 2. This "improved" house is totally out of place in our mid-century neighborhood.

• 7 years ago

I would say it is dang close to "move in ready" for sure the things I would do would not cost a lot. The cornices would go, the wall paper...but over all it is so spacious and nicely laid out. A person could live in it as is very easily. As far as the newest thing how about the crystal light fixture in the hall?

• 7 years ago

I love it too! If I bought it I'd just do a few cosmetic things like others mentioned - wallpaper, some of the window treatments, etc. I would keep the kitchen if it's in good shape though mismatched appliances kind of bug me. It looks like such a well cared for, quality home and I like having something unique, not the same thing everyone else in the herd chooses.

I'm not so surprised that it's not been updated. People didn't used to change things out so so much just to get the latest trend. And I think that is still not as common in more rural areas vs. big cities. And I even think kid behavior might have been a bit different in that era; i.e. the adults ran the show vs. the kids.

• 7 years ago

Totally not my taste but still a great example from the 1960's and especially the decorating. Yes, I wondered about those carpet stains too! yikes.

I happened to catch a few minutes of a teenage beach movie from 1967 on TCM this morning and asked myself, "What were they thinking?" in regards to the hair and clothing styles. ha. It was a bad movie too.

• 7 years ago

I'm not one for changing decorating frequently, but if I don't change a thing for 50 years, somebody please shoot me. Imo, her life was so filled with wonderful memories of the house she couldn't bring herself to change a think. Maybe that's too much living in the past??

• 7 years ago

Maybe the owners knew exactly what they liked and saw no need to keep up with any trends. My parents built a house in 1969 and all the furniture was bought between 1969 and 1975 with a couple exceptions. They didn't let things deteriorate, and if something needed to be replaced for practical reasons, it was done. My parents both got recliners when they got older and my mother needed an armchair at the kitchen table, she got one. Things got reupholstered, but to go with what was already there.

That said, my mother had absolutely no emotional attachment to the furniture, the drapes or anything like that. She said she had no particular memories that were attached to the house, because the house and it's contents were all inanimate objects, her memories were of people, and those she could take anywhere.

She liked the house, she liked living there and she liked the way it was decorated, but if I knew anyone who did not dwell on the past or form attachments to objects, it was her. She just saw no reason to be influenced by trends or to idly redecorate just because. In her mind, there were many more important things to do.

• 7 years ago

Having moved 17 times in my life, I never viewed decor as permanent. Each new place presented new challenges to work around. I found that I enjoyed 'discovering' what worked 'best'. I really do not have any preferred style. Right now, most of our furniture is craftsman, because that is our home. However, I would gladly sell much of the furniture with the house if we were to move.

Ironically enough, we have now lived in the same house 15 years. It was a blank white slate when we moved in, and we have done extensive remodeling/rewiring/rebuilding, so it has kept me busy. - - But I am now shocked to realize that the first rooms I did 15 years ago have remained unchanged!!!! Yikes!! I am trying to think of what I would want to change, and there is really very little... Oh no!!!!!!!! 30 years from now, our home will be listed and someone will post it on the latest GardenWeb! :D :D :D

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH