SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bird_of_paradise

Need help with Crown of Thorns

My mother has red, pink, variegated COT abandoned in her garden. In cleaning up, I've left these for last because I know nothing about them. I am very familiar with Euphorbias and their irritant milky sap, just not the propagation habits for this one.

All the stems are bare branched with a crown of leaves and flowers only at the tips. There are several yard long ... yes, 3' branches I need to work on.

In April, I cut one in half in an attempt to understand pruning and rooting. I hoped the part left inground would grow a new head. Of the piece I removed, I cut it in half, allowed the two parts to callous over a week, and created 2 pots with 1/2 perlite, 1/2 cactus mix. In one pot I placed the head to root, in the other pot I placed the remaining piece with no head & no roots.

As of today, the piece left inground never grew a new head, not even a leaf. Is this the norm for this plant? The head did root, evidenced by new leaves & buds coming in. The piece with no head / no roots never rooted, never did anything.

I'm thinking all the long stalks need to be cut down at the base. Then the heads on these should be removed for rooting and the remaining part of the stalks trashed.

Please share your thoughts & advice.

Comments (14)