SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Crown of thorns collection

Marie Tran
11 years ago

I don't know for sure where to post my crown of thorns (COT) collection. I have 40 pots with about 30 different variety of colors and shape and size of the blooms. (some are not bloom yet, so I have no pictures to post) I am also learning to graft COT, and in the process of waiting and see the first 3 grafts take. I will find out in 2-3 weeks.

{{gwi:552101}}

{{gwi:552102}}

{{gwi:552103}}

{{gwi:552104}}

{{gwi:552105}}

{{gwi:552106}}

{{gwi:552108}}

{{gwi:552110}}

{{gwi:552113}}

{{gwi:552115}}

{{gwi:552117}}

{{gwi:552118}}

{{gwi:552119}}

{{gwi:552120}}

{{gwi:552121}}

{{gwi:552122}}

{{gwi:552123}}

{{gwi:552124}}

{{gwi:552125}}

{{gwi:552126}}

{{gwi:552127}}

{{gwi:552128}}

{{gwi:552130}}

{{gwi:552132}}

{{gwi:552133}}

{{gwi:552135}}

{{gwi:552137}}

{{gwi:552139}}

{{gwi:552140}}

{{gwi:552141}}

{{gwi:552142}}

{{gwi:552143}}

{{gwi:552144}}

{{gwi:552145}}

Still about 7 pots without no bloom yet, I thin them out last week and now seeing many buds are forming. Will post them later.

Marie

Comments (58)

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wontonamara, COT can take the cold very well, you don't have to bring them inside, patio is good enough. They also bloom in middle of winter. I had 3 pots planted in ground, in 2009 when we had few days in teens degree, they still alive, but not very healthy. I digged them up and potted them and they were okay after that.

I love COT, the blooms last almost a month and constancely blooming year around.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Those are all Beauties.I only have 2,a red one and one i bought because it was yellow,but it reverted back to a pinky coral color.

My red one is tall and lanky,can i cut that back to make it get fuller instead of taller??

Oh and i nominate you for our COT resident expert,since you have sooooo many,and seem to know so much about them.LOL,LOL
    TFS
    kathi

• Related Discussions

Exotic Crown of Thorns by mail order

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Amserelda, Norma's right about these & what she's saying. You might search for nurseries that handle Euphorbia milii (its botanical name) & varieties & many hybrids. Sometimes they're also referred to as the Thai hybrids of Euph. milii, as the Thai people have done a lot of work w/ these & made many beautiful hybrids of them. They are larger & more colorful than the regular ones, and yes, they will cost more money.
    ...See More

Crown of Thorn Plants for April and May 2014

Q

Comments (5)
    Those are awesome! And you weren't kidding about having some potted plants! I'm absolutely in awe of your collection, because up here in Wisconsin, those plants don't perform all that well with our 6 month winters. Gotta love our nanny state government huh? Always dictating how we can live our lives now. For the record, if I was your neighbor, I'd love to see those plants everyday, front yard or back. Joe
    ...See More

HAVE: Crown of Thorns

Q

Comments (1)
    ...drop...
    ...See More

Can my Crown of Thorns be revived?

Q

Comments (8)
    Ooh...I see the potential for many new plants - take cuttings! Wearing gloves, take a cutting from the end of the plant (the tip) 4-6 inches long (length will depend upon the depth of your pot - you want to eventually plant ½ the length of the cutting into the soil). It will bleed white sap. Dip or spray the end with water to stop the bleeding; the sap is irritating so be very careful not to get it on your skin, rub it in your eyes, etc. You can also spray the bleeding end of the plant from which you took the cutting. Lay the cutting aside in a shady place for about 3 days to allow the cut end to form a callus (the end will pucker). Some skip this step but I’ve always done it and been successful. The potting soil should be very well draining. I usually use the commercial potting soil I have on hand and mix it 50/50 with perlite. If you happen to have cactus soil in your inventory, use that. Moisten the soil and place in pot. Place half the length of your callused cutting into the potting soil and water. Your pot should have drainage holes; don’t use a saucer (which will hold water). Place the cutting in a bright but shady spot. You can lightly water it, as needed, but don’t keep it sopping wet. If you’re not sure, err on the side of dry. It will probably be rooted in about 6 weeks. You can put several cuttings in a larger pot so you have a fuller looking plant in a shorter period of time.
    ...See More
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

about the cold hardiness,...HMMMMM. I read on DG that they were cold hardy to 20F and found that hard to believe since most places put them at around 28-32F. I will be testing this out. Maybe I will take a cutting and root it.( I have a hard time with cuttings too. 2 out of 3 rot on me.)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Marie....

When I was a kid, almost every Barber-Shop, and Tailor-Shop had big pots filled with Crown-of-Thorns, and Snake Plants.

Your COT plants are unbelievable! The colors are so vibrant, but the pastels are my favorites.

Just beautiful.

Frank

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Kathi,Mara and Frank.
    Kathi, I am not COT resident expert at all.(thank you though) I loved COT because they are inexpensive comepare to other plants, they bloom all year.

Mara(?)I am not very lucky with COT cuttings, but today I stopped at a local nursery and asked the owner (personal friend). He told me how to root the COT cuttings. Please try with me if anyone have COT and want to root.

If you want your COT to have more branches, take it in shaded area, it won't bloom without sun, but more branches come out. When ready for sun the plant will be in fully bloom.

Leave the cuttings to 7 days to dry. Moist the soil overnight, tug in the cuttings, make sure no air pockets. Keep it in the shaded for atleast 4 weeks before any water. Small amount at first. Remember to take off most of the leaves, only keep a few small ones on the top.

When you see new leaves come out, you can check to see if it roots. Good luck.
    Marie

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Marie,

Back again to clarify what I meant (I didn't think you bought them in Thailand).

Thai hybrids is a name for a group of Euph miliis which these resemble, that have these oversize brachts, (often vibrant colors, often two-tone or speckled).

Don' know if it's true, but I've heard multiple references to these Thai hybrid E milii groups that supposedly were helped to hybridize (in part at least) by members of the Thai royal family. Who knows.

• xtien76
    11 years ago

How tall like feet can they grow? I took 3 cuttings off a plant I believed is a COT. it was over 12 ft tall. My mom has had them all my life & never seen one this big/tall. I took pics. It had no flowers yet.
    It was a bush almost but very vertical. outside for many years I guess.
    The milk off the COT is very poisonous so every precaution should be used. Repotting in sandy loam mix is best. Using rootTone powder. Do let cutting sit out for 2-3 days before re-planting.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

That is one of the most beautiful collections of any plant I have ever seen. Crown of Thorns is not a common plant in houseplant collections in Ireland, I have only seen one ever. Congratulations.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karen, I know Thailand has many more beautiful colors, but other than that, I don't know anything about who hybridize them. I don't want to order from Thailand, because it takes too long to get here.

Xtien, if the COT bush is too crowed, it won't bloom. It can get very big, but I never see anything 12 ft tall. Please post some pictures for us to see. Thank you for the hints about COT milk is poisonous.

Marguerite, thank you for nice commend, but many beautiful colors out there that I want and still looking.
    COT is becoming more popular because it takes the cold well.

Marie

• bernsly
    11 years ago

These are beautiful! My mother just brought me one of these two weeks ago, and she called it "crown of thorns" and I'm glad to see that was the real name. Do you think this will do well indoors, as long as it gets enough sun.

Also, Marie, your pots are so pretty. I especially love the one in the 8th picture from the bottom.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bernsly, thank you for the commend. Crown of thorn needs atleast 5 hours of sun each day. Inside will be okay, but it is harder to bloom without sun. I hope your plant bloom year round for you. Colorburst fertilizer is the best for COT, but little bit every 8 weeks. Too much will rot the roots. Good luck to you.
    Marie

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Bernsly,

I agree w/ Marie that they can do well indoors provided good light. I've got 5 different kinds of E. milii (COT) starting bloom now on a west window where they get excellent & direct light most of the day. I've got 2 white, 1 red & 1 yellow. I have one more that hasn't resumed bloom since I cut it back somewhat to shape it better.

They need fast draining mix (w/ lots of added perlite or pumice), pebble trays & frequent, thorough watering & frequent fertilizer.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

3 more added into my collection since I post this thread.

{{gwi:552146}}

{{gwi:552147}}

{{gwi:552148}}

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • teengardener1888
    11 years ago

so pretty

• katluvr
    11 years ago

Hi Marie,
    your plants are just fabulous! So beAutful and all of the different colors you have, wow!
    I sure wish I couLd find some of the more unusual colors like you havE , I have 20-25 plants myself right now at least I am pretty sure I do , I am not at home to go out and look, but I do not have the variety of colors that you do , they are very hard to find around here.
    I have one I took a pic of last week that has some huge blooms on it they are bigger that a 50 cent piece..
    Thank you for sharing they are so pretty and thank you for all of your growing advice as well.
    Ronda >^..^

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Marie!!
    Don't get me started. All I need is more plants. Lol
    Those are soooo beautiful, healthy, vibrant, and colorful.
    Everything you grow does wonders, even in the infamous miracle grow.

I love the ones that flower green. I have yet to find one if those.

I too thank you for your advice and picture. You are a gem here for sure

Mike

• BubbaTimmy
    11 years ago

Hi Marie

Thanks for posting. Very nice collection. I am in the houston area and have been looking to get some cot. What nurseries have you found them at?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello BubbaTimmy, I am sorry I didn't check this thread often and didn't know you need some info.
    There are 2 places in Houston that you can get good and reasonable price for crown of thorn.
    I got most of my COT at Joseph Nursery in Pearland
    3723 FM 1128 Rd Pearland, TX 77584
    (281) 489-9786

And the second location is Nature's Grower
    8449 Breen Rd
    Houston , TX 77064
    713-206-5347
    The second location has so many beautiful colors. He orders his plants from ThaiLand and the price is good.
    I hope that helps.
    Marie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Your collection of COT's is breathtakingly beautiful, I didn't realize they come in so many different color. We don't see too many of these in my neck of the woods, TFS.

Annette

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Annette, I had few more but didn't have time to post.
    Marie

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

oh that last color is a beauty....Oh I wish I could have a collection like yours I have osmocote so I put them on my three you would laugh at one of them...I think I need to re-pot 2 of mine but I was told they like to be root bound One has root coming a bit out the bottom....I am so afraid they will die....I am disabled a car hit me while i was walking and it cut off my legs so plants is my life now....these are my favorites let me know the best place to get them. I do not have much money I only buy a few every month. I never worked so I am on SSI and it barely pays my bills well back to the crown of thorns I need to know do you use just regular potting mix and that osmocote I have that but scared i will burn them with it i treat my flower like babies.
    thank you for the information I need to learn I am 54 and the wreak made me a bit slower some days but plants I try to do what people that have them as pretty as these do the same thing to mine to. I just dont know about the pots its the one the came i they are full leaves all but one it is tall and scarney with a few leaves on top.
    I water like cactus plants...sorry I am having a bad day my hands hurt also just set and look at yours I really enjoy it and I tell my son come look and I want mine that way. he told me to find the seller and we will try not to kill them I want all colors...such a beautiful plant.
    bye for now
    jbees

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jbees, I am sorry to hear to got hit by car...
    Plants can bring you joy for sure. Crown of Thorn (COT) don't like root bound, the bigger the pot, the faster the plant will grow. You may plug some of the leaves off, save energy for the plant to focus on the blooms.

I water them everyday in the summer, and they are not picky on the soil either.

Marie

• CorpsmanCooper
    11 years ago

WOW! BEAUTIFUL! Mine got frost bite and died. I'm hoping, eventually I will get a new one.

~Erin~

• wiccadgardener
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning plants!! I, too had no idea they came in so many different colors or that the blooms could be so large.
    A couple of days ago I found a small pale yellow (blooms) one in the .99 only store. It is nice and bushy, though.
    I was pretty happy with it until I saw yours :) (just kidding, I still love the little guy) but, I think this post may have started a new obsession.

• iwhiisper
    10 years ago

I wish I could find different colors here in GA. I have a salmon colored one. I bring it in winter and leave it on edge of covered porch in summer. I cut some of the longer branches back last year and used Rootone and they rooted! So now I have 5 small plants and one huge one. Would love a yellow one.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Wow!!! I am so happy that you post your Beautiful COT plants!! It is one of my favorite plants. Yours is Gorgeous. I have never seen some of those colors. I have just the red, white, yellow. I'm amazed at some of the colors. I am going to try to post pictures of mine today. They are Nowhere near the beauty of yours. But I would love any critiquing you see, that would maybe help!!! Thanks for posting!

• itconolly
    9 years ago

Where is the best place to purchase crown of thorn plants that are at least 10 inches tall with branches? I ordered some from Thailand but they came bare root and are single stem.

• eliana_s
    9 years ago

Hi. Sorry for posting this here, but I need some immediate help. I have just noticed that the tip of a branch of a COT plant, has begin to getting rotted. I think the trunk of the other brunches is ok. What should i do? Cut the part that is affected and put some fungicide on it? Cut the whole affected brunch? Or does this mean that it has already got rotted on the roots and the case is hopeless?

Thanks

This post was edited by eliana_s on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 3:50

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Eliana, cut the rot part off, if you leave it there, it get worst. So cut it off. I hope you can save the rest of it.

• plantmanagerkaren
    8 years ago

Wow, your COT are so impressive, Marie! I have only 2. One is light yellow blooms and the other is a larger Thai hybrid with orange flowers. After seeing your collection, I'm going to be on the hunt! I don't need more plants, but somehow that doesn't seem to matter. :) Thanks for sharing your fabulous collection!

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I haven't post COT plants in awhile, but this is request and I am adding into this thread.

These are the ones I once own. Too many to take care in the winter and few had died. Since my homeowner association asked me to bring all but 6 pots to the back. Only 6 pots in front for public view.

The ones with date stamp came from my camera, the ones without date stamp came from my phone.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Click on the picture if you want to see the image bigger. (better view)

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• camellia1_gw
    8 years ago

Beautiful plants as usual! I love them all! Do they prefer full sun?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Camellia, they prefer full sun.

Marie

• Kachana
    8 years ago

Very impressive collection, Marie. Thank you for sharing. COTs love you!

How often do you water and fertilize?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In the summer I water it almost everyday, winter I water it once a week.

Fertilizer with osmocote twice per year and miracle gro liquid mix every 3-4 weeks.

Marie

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    8 years ago

Marie,

Beautiful as always!

Lonnie

• kathi_mdgd
    8 years ago

OMG,i want to come shop where you do.I never see those colors around here,i wish!!!

Keep the pictures coming

Kathi

• Becky
    8 years ago

My God, that's a beautiful collection! All those pots are so lovely, and just.. Wow! I feel very spoiled to get to look at such a gallery of CoT :) Thank you so much for sharing!

• Lilibeth Nayelie
    8 years ago

It was a must have... New addition to my family... Willing to put a price on it..

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lilibeth, I never see that color before. Very pretty.

I just have a purple rooted cutting COT. But can't show it yet because the cutting has no bloom.

Marie

• plantmanagerkaren
    8 years ago

I hope you'll all keep the crown of thorns photos coming too. They are another one of my favorities. :)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    8 years ago

Lilibeth,

Can you take another picture but, a full front view of the purple blooms?

Lonnie

• Verine Blucher
    8 years ago

Marie u have so many beautiful colors. I wish I was close to you so we can trade cuttings .never seen a purple cot before.

• plantmanagerkaren
    8 years ago

Very beautiful collection! I only have 2 at the moment, but they are big favorites since they bloom so well, for such a long period.

• Raquel Mendoza
    7 years ago

Hi Marie tran... my name is Raquel And I was wondering where did you buy your flower pots, they're so beautiful.. thank you

• Joanna Mendyk
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I was linked to your post because I was trying to identify the COT. My grandmother had one while I was a child and for some reason the only name ever said around it was Christmas Cactus which is thornless. I am trying to get into gardening (horrible history of having a black thumb) and wanting plants that remind me of my green thumb grandmother that passed away a year ago. I always loved the "wicked bush" and it was not among the plants that she had at her home that we are still getting plants from, many of which she had on the farm that she raised my mama in. So I asked if anyone had any ideas and continued looking at plants and found it was a COT. I had no idea there were so many colors available. My grandmothers was brilliant red. Thank you for sharing you're gorgeous collection.