SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmara

Uneven space when Garage Door is closed

cmara
7 years ago

I hope someone has a suggestion. I have a very old wood garage door. There has never been any kind of weatherstripping along the bottom of the door since I bought the house. Because of age, warping, repairs etc.., the door has a about a 1 1/2 inch gap along 2 feet where the door should meet the ground and in other places the gap is 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. Leaves and other debris are always getting blown in, making a mess. A garage door repair guy said the kind of weather seal for my kind of door would not help because it is not wide enough to cover the 1 1/2 gap, and I should just buy a new door. That is not in the cards at the moment. I would like to find some kind of product I can nail along the bottom of the door to prevent the debris problem. Most of the weather stripping I see online is about an inch wide, I need something wider since some of the stripping width will be lost when I attach it to the door. Does anyone have any suggestion? Also I have seen those thresh hold strips that attach to the floor, but I'm not sure about those. Is it a tripping hazard? How well do they work? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (2)