SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindavarga20

When is watermelon ready? My first garden and melon.

lindavarga20
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I think I've put too many plants into my garden containers so I think my plants are producing smaller produce. I've had cucumbers of different sizes turning yellow so I'm having trouble telling when to pick my produce. (These cucumbers came from different plants but they all sprouted from same batch and they are no where near how big they should be.) I think I needed to water them more when they were younger because now that I have a working hose in the backyard I've gotten some nice big cucumbers (5-6 inches).

It's 2.96 lbs so far.

This is my first watermelon and I want to pick it when its perfectly ripe and sweet. It's Crimson Sweet so should be 20-25 lbs (I say 10-15 lbs in video but I was wrong). I started the seeds inside on April 4th and they should take 80 days to mature which would have put them at June 23rd but they are taking longer. I have a few other small melons growing on one of three plants that survived but they are smaller, one I show in the video. I don't mind if they are small as long as they are tasty!

I really need help knowing when to pick my melons. I took a video to show how the watermelon sounds as well as the containers they are in. There are 4 plants per container, a corn, a watermelon, a yellow wax bush bean and a cucumber plant (only one container, the other two containers have an extra bean plant).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Comments (5)