SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammysf

Picked First ripe melon EVER: Arava melon

tammysf
14 years ago

hey all,

I picked my first ripe melon today. It was an arava melon.It probably could have stayed on the vine a day or 2 longer but when i picked it up it slipped from the vine. It started turning yellow a few days ago so it ripened pretty quickly once the color change started.

Unfortunately we did not turn off the watering system 2 weeks before ripening like i wanted to and the weather has been cooler the last 2 weeks (high 70's low 80's) so it was not as sweet as I was hoping. It tasted like a honeydew from the supermarket :( when i am more used to melons from the farmers market that are sweeter.

It was about 4.5 inches long and 4 inches wide.

{{gwi:104588}}

{{gwi:104590}}

2 more arava melons on the same vine should be ripe hopefully by next week. Hopefully these will be sweeter as the weather has warmed up again (high 80's, low 90's) and we stopped watering it last weekend.

{{gwi:104592}}

More melon pics:

Charentais. There are 4 melons on this vine. This is the 2nd biggest melon on the vine that is about baseball size with a baby that is about the size of tangerine. The biggest melon that is not pictured is about softball size.

{{gwi:104594}}

Charentais and arava in other garden bed on a trellis is about 3-4 weeks behind.

{{gwi:104596}}

Honey Orange in wood bed has about 5 melons on it ranging in size from just smaller than tennis ball to large grapefruit size.

{{gwi:104598}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more garden pics

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?