SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_jennings49

Questions and Tips Needed fro Transplanting Strawberry Runners

Jason
7 years ago

Hello All,

First year gardening and I had my strawberries go wild. I didnt cut the runners like I probably should have, and now I have runners everywhere. I had very little fruit, but I believe that is due to the runners taking off everywhere.

In my back garden, I have some Hula Berries which are a June bearing fruit. Those naturally planted runners everywhere. What is the best way to move these runners into containers? I dug one up today and this is the size of the roots. It was growing its own runners as well. Are these roots long enough to allow the plant to survive a transplanting process?

I also have been using Dr Earths Acid lovers on my mature plants. Should I mix a teaspoon into the container (one plant per container) when transplanting? https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Earth-703P-Rhododendron-Fertilizer/dp/B000VZRV38

Now on my deck I have some Evie everbearing plants in containers. I have taken the runners from those and planted them into individual pots. I used a piece of steel wire to form a "staple" and I am holding the runner in place so roots can form. Roots are forming which is good. My question is, how long do I need to wait from "stapling"/holding them down until it is probably okay to cut the umbilical and make the runner an individual plant? I have about 40 potted runners from 20 plants.

Any other tips you can offer on making these successful transplants?

Comments (6)