SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topnotchveggie

Strawberry Plants/Runners Season Wrap Up - Winterizing Suggestion

topnotchveggie
16 years ago

This was the first year I purchased strawberry plants from the garden center and transplanted them in pots/planters. To the best of my knowledge it seems as if I did fairly well with the mother plants establishing strong root systems in addition to the amount of runners that were produced throughout the growing season. I kept "replanting" the "runners" in the dirt in hopes they would root. So now I have a few questions.

1. How/when do I know when to cut the runners off from the original (mother) plant so they will survive on their own? How close to the mother plant do I make the cut?

2. The fall season is here (September) and I would like these plants to thrive next season, so what's the proper technique/procedure to winterize them to keep them viable for years to come?

3. I presume because its the "end of season," a number of leaves are beginning to brown, do I keep them on, and let nature takes it's course, or do I remove them?

I may have other questions in the future, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Comments (6)