SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fillymora

Eden climbing rose blooming question

filly_z8bFL
7 years ago

This Eden rose is on the west side of my house (backyard) and I am training it to climb up a bare spot on the side. It gets approx 6-7 hrs of sun. I am wondering why it's not blooming this summer yet though.

It bloomed in spring with a nice flush but in summer it has put out a ton of thick canes but no more blooms. Is this rose a once bloomer?

we've had plenty of rain and it's right next to a sprinkler for water. I have fed this rose in spring and recently in summer with alfalfa meal, coffee grounds, banana peels, composted cow manure, Epsom salt and some eggs shells. I feed every 3-4 weeks with Alaska fish fert water soluble. I'm waiting a week and then I'll be feeding with a cup of down to earth rose and flower food 4-8-4

thanks for any info you have!

Comments (53)

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

When a rose is producing a lot of new growth, that's where its energy is focused: growing, not blooming. It takes a LOT of resources to push that kind of growth, and roses are like most people, they can only do one thing at a time, lol. Once this growth spurt matures it will start blooming again. As an aside, quite often you don't see ANYthing happening because climbers often are growing where you can't see it, underground. Your plant evidently has a good set of roots already and has decided it's time to make new canes.

John

filly_z8bFL thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • Rosefolly
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Pierre de Ronsard (the original name of Eden) is not a once bloomer, but it tends to be one in its juvenile years. Mine is currently in its second flush of the season, as full and voluptuous as the first. I expect at least one and possibly two more. But for the first five or six years, it did not rebloom much, if at all.

I first planted mine about 15 years ago. Gophers killed it about five years ago, but I revived a remnant and moved it to a new location. I guess I should consider it to be a five year old rose, though honestly it seemed to come into its own faster the second time around.

Rosefolly

filly_z8bFL thanked Rosefolly
  • Related Discussions

Eden climbing rose

Q

Comments (100)
    A little late to the conversation, and I don't know what your soil is like, Lesli, but you might find alfalfa to be a lot cheaper in your area sold as horse feed. I'm not sure I would go to the trouble of making it into a tea -- from your description, your soil might appreciate it as a compost amendment. You could also look into digging in some green sand which might cover a lot of your micronutrient needs if the plants look a little anemic. And of course, Epsom Salts are very cheap at any drug store, for the nominal amount you might require, if magnesium is an issue. I wouldn't think a little epsom salt could hurt, as long as you don't overdo it. *Some* amendments can set you back more than the darned roses did in the first place! Ben's garden is absolutely spectacular -- probably the most spectacular I've seen in our region -- but you probably don't need to be quite so feeding-happy to have a happy garden. (You are likely to end up with proliferation in some of your blooms, and might have to beat back some of your plants if you get *too* crazy with the feedings! LOL.) Cutting peaches *before* handling Milorganite was probably a good call, BTW. ;-) (Ben, do you lay off your feeding regimen when the summer heat comes, or do you have to water your plants heavily to keep them humming along? I have historically tended to encourage my plants to rest to avoid stressing them too much in summer, but I also try not to irrigate more than I absolutely have to.)
    ...See More

Climbing rose to go with Eden?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you gardengal48! I’m in PNW so your comment gives me a lot to look forward to! Can’t wait for the first bloom. HU-300821801, I will look up New Dawn! I do have the Eden near my clematis. The only thing is that my clematis don’t repeat bloom very well and I would like to have some color during the warmer months.
    ...See More

WHITE ROSES: 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (149)
    @rosecanadian, Carol, Yes, I love tge lighter pinks, but there is something magical about Eden… she is huge now and I have bought another Eden for other side of bay window, too. Her blooms are English appearance, delicate. Heirloom Roses has the best video if oruning her-she has such captivating majestic blooms. But she bloomed only one flush this 2nd year and few blooms in summer. I hope she will bloom more next year… going to fertilize her a lot! I posted her on recent Eden thread… Many day she blooms more co tinual after a few years. Francis Meilland is a dream rose-bloomed 3 flushes first year. FM Blooms are very big-majestic!! The ohotos never show how big they really are-ir capture tgeir real beauty. They are both an ”eye popping ” surprise when they bloom! Check out thread ”Eden Climbing Rose blooming question,” for EDEN PHOTOS-ALL TYPES OF EDENS… My photos… hope others will post…. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4013161/eden-climbing-rose-blooming-question
    ...See More

Helen's Garden 2021

Q

Comments (200)
    Helen, 200+ roses roses-you must do foever gardening daily! OH, MY!!!!!!! I have a hundred & think it’s a handful! Thank you! I think we can all have 12 ft Edens… she puts out huge thick canes!! With better soils/fertizers this year I find my roses even in my cold climate can grow really healthy/tall! I am excited!. With burlap & mounding as well as planting in south facing side home has really helped my roses to do better this year. I am surprised they are as tall as some CA roses, but still many new babies are just starting spurts if growth.Next year may be my first real floriferous show! This year many bloomed but all new roses mainly!
    ...See More
  • towandaaz
    7 years ago

Filly, I have a two-year old 8-10 ft. Eden that was spectacular with one strong flush this spring. Like you, I've taken very good care of it with the hopes that it blooms again... it hasn't probably because of the heat and maybe because it's young. I still have high hopes for a Fall flush. In the meantime when I walk by it, I say to myself, "nice vine."

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

If my Eden is able to grow as tall as yours Filly, I would be happy. Mine is a short bush, but it had a nice spring flush. It didn't have a second flush yet. This is its third year but I live in a colder zone.

filly_z8bFL thanked jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

I've been growing Eden for 8-10 years. In its first few years, it mainly had a strong spring bloom, followed by a few scattered blooms or sometimes almost nothing. After the 4th or 5th year, it did better on the repeat blooming, but never matched the spring bloom. It also has a down period for rest between the bloom cycles.

Really gorgeous climber. I let it do whatever it wants to do.

Which reminds me--are you verging on over-feeding it? I've never fed any of my roses anywhere near that much. More feeding will not make it bloom more.

Let us know how your Eden does in the future.

Kate

filly_z8bFL thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    7 years ago

Filly your Eden looks really nice and healthy. I just got Eden and its still in a one gallon. I will look forward to seeing the progress on yours as I am also in FL ( NE FL, though). I am thinking of getting the other Eden color varieties as well.

filly_z8bFL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • filly_z8bFL
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dublinbay, I started to really feed well after the spring flush (late spring) bc it didn't really do anything and the new leaves were pale. As soon as I started feeding well it shot out 4 strong, thick canes. The canes on each end are the oldest (2 yrs) and I think this grew perfectly to train 6 canes as climbers I have one small cane I staked in front so it doesn't look weird blooming all on the ends ( if it does that). To me, Eden seems to be a heavy feeder, along the same needs as Austen's golden celebration. I'm glad to hear from everyone's feedback this one likes to set the foundations before repeat blooming! Thought I was missing something.

• Melissa Struxness
    3 years ago

Too much food. It will put all energy in leaves and growing tall before flowering. Mine is growing AND flowering but I only use fish oil. Honestly you are using too much

• amesy88
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I purchased a 3 gallon Eden this year and was expecting lovely pink blooms but all the blooms so far are white! I am worried they gave me the white eden instead of traditional pink. Is it ever normal for a young pink eden to bloom white?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    2 years ago

Hi , I don’t think that’s white Eden either . Definitely not eden . My white Eden looks cupped like Eden and still has a blush tone to it . Where did you order from ? Sometimes from there we can narrow down who it may be ! :)

• amesy88
    2 years ago

Oh no! I ordered from Monrovia. https://www.monrovia.com/eden-climber-rose.html I had that same thought too at one point since you’re right, it’s not cupped shaped.. I’ve been waiting for it to somehow magically turn into the Eden I was hoping for. So sad! Eden is hard to find and looks like I will have to try again next year

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

I would let Monrovia know and maybe they will send you another 1 that is correct.

• amesy88
    2 years ago

Yes, I’ve already contacted them. It appears to be sold out everywhere but we will see what they can do. So disappointing, I’ve been pining after Eden for several years now! Seems to be hard to find. One day!

• Melissa Struxness
    2 years ago

I found a bunch last year at my local nursery. Of course they were $65 each. They only bloom once in my zone. It is 9b and it cannot take the super hot sun. But it is pretty the few weeks it does bloom

• Melissa Struxness
    2 years ago

That picture looks like an iceberg

• PRO
    Linen & Elm Creative Services
    2 years ago

Mine is blooming and I only count 5 more buds so I'm hoping it reblooms this summer.

But the leaves are being taken over by what I think are rose slugs. Everything I read says that's what it is...and wasps and hornets are also hovering to eat the slugs. I did treat it with a soapy solution. Sad that I can't win, either I have blooms with slugs or no blooms, no slugs. I hope yours blooms soon! It seems like when I ignore mine it blooms. When I fertilize it doesn't.

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

@amesy88, I am sorry, but they sent you a mistake pretty white climber.” It is not an Eden. I have the Eden & a Red Eden, both cupped and distinctly the colors they are supposed to be: pink for Eden & red for Red Eden.

I had a mistake rose sent ne that I just discovered grew the wrong blooms-was the wrong rose 8 minths later. Heirloom Roses let me keep the mstake rose & sent me ASAP the Red Eden I ordered to correct order.

I would call the place you ordered Eden from & send them a photo of the mistake rose ASAP-they should replace it for you immediately.

Hope all goes well and you get your Eden rose-shes my favorite of all my hundred roses! Just love her delicate old fashioned blooms & soft but distinct pink.

All the different stages of Eden bloom… starts as a little opening pink bud, then blooms bigger pink…bigger… , quite large as 5 diameter in end may fade in sun a little. As matures looks more English type of bloom shapes.

@Linen & Elm Creative Services, Try pure 100 % pure Neem mix with soap & water-spray…follow its directions. (Neem extract doesnt work well, which is put in many supposed organic sprays.) It removes rose s issues. Plant Eden in 6-8 hrs full sun & insects dont like mine-they like my other roses w/ lighter leaves. Hepe this helps you. There are many solutions to remove rose s. I also have herbs planted in gardens such as mint in pirs, , chamomile, thyme, marigolds..

• Embothrium
    2 years ago

Myth III Roses require rose specific fertilizers

Roses need the same mineral element as other plants. There is no evidence that increased magnesium (Epsom Salts) benefits roses in any way. Prescriptive fertilization is not appropriate for rose culture or any landscape setting. Fertilizers should be applied on the basis of soils tests that determine the necessity of minerals that may be missing from the soil.

The contrarian rosarian–debunking rose mythology – The Garden Professors™

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

@amesy88 , Check out Heirloom Roses! I just ordered another Eden from them couple weeks ago. Heirloom Roses have them to sell in stock now!

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

@sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

@rosecanadian

@Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

@strawchicago z5

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

& ALL EDEN FRIENDS,

LOVERS OF EDEN ROSES,

:

ANYONE HAVE GREAT PHOTOS OF EDEN BLOOMING? HOW ABOUT PINK EDEN? WHITE EDEN? RED EDEN? LOVE HER GLOSSY LEAVES, too!

She was amazing for me this year blooming flush in June 6, 2021.

Eden not blooming much the rest if summer-just green vine, but climbing about 6 ft canes Aug 30, 2021 photo below…. Now in Oct her canes are 10 ft. Eden, by bay window, is on far right next to blooming Rose of Sharon. I need to order new larger trellis & tie-shape her next spring.

Eden is my favorite rose. I ordered a second Eden so they are both around bay window with Starwberry Hill CL in middile. So far my first Eden is now 10 feet., 2 years old. The other 2 climbers are new. Eden had her first spectacular bloom first week of June 2021. Only a few blooms since. Next year I fertize more. This year she had a good start.

I also have Red Eden which was new summer 2021 with a couple blooms…

Anyone have her? Love her!

VERY HARDY EDENS!

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

-

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Hope this thread is posting?

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Kitty - SCRUMPTIOUS Edens!!!! I'm blown away by the beauty of your Eden blooms!!! Lusciousness they name is Eden!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

I have 5 own root Edens. Three were supposed to be Pretty in Pink Eden. All very slow to get started. Of the 5, four are on an arbor, not as tall as I'd like at about 6'. One appeared to be a dud. I shovel pruned the roots and stopped watering it, but never got around to lifting it out. The following year it started growing like crazy. The fifth one, planted by the back porch, immediately died to the ground and stayed dead the following year with nothing showing above ground. Then, the following September it started pushing up new growth. It is now at least 12'x12 and blooms constantly.

It's a great rose for cold climates, but be patient. Mine were not very interesting the first 4 years. Others may have faster results.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Really shows the value of patience and how robust roses can be. :)

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

I am so EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to see your Eden blooms-fantastical-scrumptdillyious! 5 Edens all thriving. Patience must have her perfect work! Love to see photos iif your PINK EDEN?

They do grow large canes eventually by 2nd year or so and bloom galore! . I am so enjoying my 3 Edens!!!! Your photos are so lovely! Love them! They have this elegant almost plastic appearing English pale pink rose. And oh, my Red Eden-so happy her first summer 2021-although she is only 3 ft-she was planted mid-summer- but she gave me a few elegant blooms! My other new Eden is 2 1/2 feet planted a month ago-eill bloom next year.

My first Eden came in August 2 years ago as a 6 inch little stem-so I planted her hidden near my butterfly bush side if home for winter protection. She had a tiny bloom, 1 stem -1 foot tall, in the spring 2020 and was transplanted to her forever spot by bay window on trellis. There she grew for her first year, summer 2020, to about 4-5 ft with maybe another bloom. But this year, spring-fall 2021 she had a magnifent flush in June and now soars at 10 ft.

Maybe next year she will bloom all summer.

FRIENDS,

Looking forward to seeing other’s Edens… blooms? EDEN, RED EDEN, PINK EDEN, WHITE EDENS? TELL YOUR STORIES…..

2 years ago

Thank you, Kitty. Yours are fantastic. Eden rarely disappoints, but we get impatient and take her out before she's ready to really get going. I was planning to get rid of all of mine, but that 4th year was the magic number.

I don't have Pink, White or Red Eden. I'm just enjoying yours and all the others here.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Ben - that's UNREAL!!!!!!! What a STUNNER of a rose!!! I'm in total awe!!!

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

@BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)

Oh, My! Your Eden is Spectacular! How tall is she & how old? How often did she bloom last soring-summer-fall? ( You have warmer weather than me so zi suppose you’d have more blooms/& a taller one than I may have in future.) Do you ever prune her? Yours is the epitome of Eden! The best! Oh, the joy of looking st Eden in your yard! The red rose and lilac clematis add interest to the Eden, also making it even grander-picturesque!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

H Kitty,

My Eden is about 12 feet tall. I thnk she could be a garden eater if let on her own, I prune her smaller each spring. It blooms a big spring flush, then just a few blooms here and there, Eden isn’t the best repeater, but the spring show is extra special. Mine is 5 years old…the first year I didn’t get a single bloom, Eden didn’t really start showing off until season 3.

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Brent,

12 ft Eden-My Eden was headed for that height, but recently fall pruned it a bit to tie back & keep canes from blowing-breaking in winter freezing wind. Plan to mound mulch in few weeks when frost. Flowers says above her Eden is as constant bloomer. Maybe ours will constant bloom in future???

2 years ago

Ben, I was hoping you would post here. Yours is the standard I judge mine by. I've never seen anything like it. The amount of blooms you get is astounding!

• Helen Mo
    2 years ago

Did anyone's rose bloom the first year?

• Rosefolly
    2 years ago

Well I planted mine 20+ years ago so I don't really remember. What I do remember is that it took several years, five or six, before it started to repeat. I have heard this from others as well.

To this day it is one of my DH's three favorite roses - this one, Leander, and Tuscany Superb.

I have mine growing next to one of my favorite roses, Climbing Shot Silk. Both are currently blooming, the cream and pink of Eden blending beautifully with the pale gold and slightly deeper pink of Cl SS. It's even better with heuchera 'Old La Rochette' blooming in warm pink fronds at their feet.

• SR D
    last year

wondering if 1 gallon of eden rose is too small or should I splurge on 5 gallon ar a local nursery. I do want to be able to see quick growth for this rose :-)

But again if within a year the plant grows rapidly why spend $75 on 5gallon?

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

SR D - if you read this thread, you will see that Cl Eden takes 4-5 years before it has more than a Spring flush of blooms. After that it appears from the comments that it re-blooms well all season. Considering that, I would personally purchase the 1 gallon pot, as the larger one in the 5 gallon pot won't mature any sooner evidently.

2 questions - where, approximately, are you? Climate zone? Exposure to sun where you plan to plant this rose?

Why are you concerned about "quick growth"? Climbing roses require PATIENCE - they can wait 2-3 years while they grow roots and very small, sort of horizontal canes before they start putting out thick climbing canes.

Jackie

• SR D
    last year

Thank you Jackie. I am based in zone 9. I didnt mean to sound impatient here with the blooms just excited. Location will be NE section which receives sunlight from 11-4:30pm

My question was more towards the price of these plants as quoted online $55 for a gallon and $75 for 5 gallon. One would think the latter is better since bigger plant may have chances to live better. I mean thats how I have seen so far. That said, I am a novice gardener :-)

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    last year

SR....I wish you lived close by...I just dug up a HUGE 5 year old Eden to give away! I have many Edens in my garden, and want to make space for a Blossomtime.

If I were you, I'd go for the 5 gallon size. I have found that bigger is better, generally speaking, with rose plants in my garden. The wait for a band size own root climbing rose to put on size can be painful! I bought two Edens from Heirloom to cover a structure, with the exact same time/amount of sun you have, and it took a few years (3-4) for them to get big. They do both have a second flush of bloom in late summer, and it's often nicer than the first flush.

Eden is on the left and White Eden on the right. They get sun from 11-3 or 4 in the summer...so part sun. White Eden on the right gets more sun, and blooms more heavily and is bigger in general. I had a very restricted space to plant them in , so I needed the smaller plants that Heirloom sells.

If I were you, I would get a large and lusty grafted Eden if you can!

• SR D
    last year
    last modified: last year

thank you Rosylady! this helps a lot with the decision making

• KittyNYz6
    last year

My first Eden was 10-12 ft but trimmed last fall, bloomed huge June flush-hundreds if blooms-all month in 3rd season. It bloomed about 30-60 blooms in mid-summer & then a few blooms here & there rest of summer. It has south afternoon 6-8hrs or more of sun. I guess it almost constantly blooms now….. but just few blooms after flushes.

Flowers, when you said your Eden is a ”Constant bloomer,” are they constant big flushes or just a couple big flushes & the constant blooms are just a few blooms?

(My Red Eden was frozen- died a year ago winter. My 2nd Eden is a newbie spring 2021 at 18 inches & in 2022 bloomed only few blooms at 6 ft.

This spring of 2023 My 2nd Eden will be in 3rd season….. her chance to bloom hundreds, -I hope!

My first Eden will be in 4th year-can’t wait to see her show of blooms -she’s the one that I have posted photos in this tgread & other threads- hope she’ll bloom abundantly!

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

SR D - just wondering - have you made your decision yet? If you are in zone 9, now would be a good time to plant a rose, so it could grow roots for the rest of the winter, and be ready to start growing stuff above the ground in the Spring. I would recommend that which one you choose, you might want to do that now.

Jackie

• SR D
    last year

Noted. thank you Jackie.

last year

Kitty, this particular Eden's first flush is the largest, but she's never without lots of blooms; not just scattered, but a respectable amount. She's between the back porch and the pavers of the patio, next to a rain spout, so she's kept warmer than the other Edens, and wetter in the fall and spring. She definitely exceeds my expectations and always gets comments from anyone visiting. My other 4 Edens don't even come close.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Flowers,

Thank you for telling me more about your Eden-she is the queen if Edens to me w/ her abundant blooms!

Ben, Your Eden is the King of Edens!!!!) Just can’t believe it’s tall climbibg beauty! Oh, My, WOW!

Flowers,

Your Eden sounds soectacular!!!! I think Eden us the best! It’s blooms, each one, have the most beautiful shape & pircelain colored light punk, and she’s so vigorous! Yous blooming all the time is nagical-I can’t wait to see if mine will bloom that much….. I think the more sun, more watering, fertile conditions would bring her out to be her best after 4 years hoping. However, Heirloom Rises said their Eden now has huge almost tree sized HUGE trunks- canes are soooooo wide. I see my Eden’s canes thickening -but don’t want big tree sized trunks!!! Lol! I think I’ll let her griw around tge side of my baywidiw to reach 12 feet or so to get max blooms!

My Eden on other side of bay window is just starting to fill out, but littkexshaded….. may move vegetation aroundcto give her more sun so she can thrive.

• Truong Phuong
    last year

Any recommendation for growing Eden in zone 10. Is it possible? Ty.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    last year

I think it would be worth trying, Truong. I grew it in zone 8B and it was very happy -- in zone 10 it is probably going to be HUGE though, so be ready for a very big rose.

• Truong Phuong
    last year

@K S I thought that Eden is not heat tolerant. My 3yr old Eden only gave 1 blooming in April-May with about 20 roses. It’s in the front yard with full sun and fertilized. Thanks for your reply.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    last year

Well if you have grown it and it didn't work for you, then you know better than I if it will do well in your conditions. Many roses take a break from blooming when the weather gets too hot, so it could be your climate. It could also be the plant's age. Mine took a couple of years being basically a once-blooming rose before it settled in and bloomed very prolifically. Another thought is that in a very hot place it can help to plant roses where they will get sun all morning but have shade for the hottest part of the afternoon. Good luck!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Truong Phuong

I researched Eden & it says ”zone 5-9 & 5-10.” It’s probably pretty hot in 10 so 1/2 day of shade & just 6 hrs sun would help it. Also, see it has nutrient rich soil & regular organic fertilizers for best blooms. It should have hundreds of blooms 3rd year.