bayarea_girl

Helen's Garden 2021

Here are some roses from my garden in 2021. Enjoy! Helen

Carding Mill (AUSwest) shrub rose bred by David C. H. Austin (UK, 2004) and introduced in US 2005. The 3-inch apricot blend globular, ruffled blooms have moderate myrrh fragrance. Its parent is Scepter'd Isle. This rose is very carefree in my garden.

Comments (175)

• strawchicago z5
    last month

Helen: your bouquets make me happy. Thank you. It's a celebration of life and friendship. You are a true friend to everyone with your blessings others with your roses.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked strawchicago z5
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last month

Incredible combination! I'm taking notes.😊

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Related Discussions

Tell me about Helen Hayes & Garden Party

Q

Comments (15)
    Maybe Garden Party is not great for the West Coast because of the mildew problem there. Elsewhere it is a generous bloomer in hot weather, with fewer but very large, full flowers coming in fall. Its hardiness is a plus in the East and Midwest, especially since many other whites are so tender. The plant is nicely full and bushy. Still an outstanding rose.
    ...See More

Helen Dillon at symposium on garden color in Madison!

Q

Comments (1)
    I can't go to the symposium on garden color in Madison. :( sure hope you can give us info when you return. :) Thanks, Jo-Ann
    ...See More

A Frog for Helen's Garden

Q

Comments (4)
    He looks sleepy-eyed, like he's saying "Is it spring ALREADY??" I have one that sits by my back door at night all summer. He occasionally gets bounced around by the dogs swarming out that door but maintains his position in spite of it. I'll get some picks of him this year.
    ...See More

Your garden plans for 2021?

Q

Comments (167)
    Mazerolm - And I just noticed that you are in z3, wow! I'd think that is a very challenging winter climate to work with. Great that you can grow something so gorgeous! I don't have ideal conditions for Iris. I've grown Bearded Iris, which I love, but I found them more than I could manage because they don't do as well, if you aren't able to pull them up and divide and replant every few years. I did it once and it was a job. I had 'Beverly Sills' a pink and white frilly tall one and another one that was almost black and velvety. Oh well, you can't grow everything but I can surely enjoy yours!
    ...See More
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last month

Beautiful indeed! You rock!!! :-)

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Thank you Straw. I love these rose forums. I make many new friends here, and everyone has been happy to share their knowledge and beautiful roses/gardens. I love all the tips that you have been sharing so we can improve our soils and our roses; it's priceless.

Thank you Vaporvac. Crazy Love has beautiful colors in cool weather. I think when the weather gets warmer, its colors can be a bit too strong so I used Jubilee Celebration to soften its colors. Jubilee Celebration's blooms are heavy and the blooms often nod so a tall vase helps to display the blooms at their best. I'm glad it works out :)

Thank you Summer :)

Helen

• rosecanadian
    last month

Helen - exquisite perfection!!! I can't believe how stunning your roses are!! And you really are fabulous at arrangements!!

I think everyone is going to be going crazy to get Crazy Love!!! WOWZA!!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked rosecanadian
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    last month

Wow! Crazy Love and Jubilee Celebration are fabulous in a vase! I currently have and orange and pink arrangement of Lady of Shallot, Monsieur Tillier and pink sweetpeas and I am really enjoying them!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last month

I am crazy over Crazy Love,like kooko for Cocoa puffs

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • GardeningTeenager
    last month

I am losing my mind right now! These roses are so pretty! Way to go to the people that grew them!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked GardeningTeenager
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    last month

Carol, I love Crazy Love, lol.

Stephanie, I agree that if an orange rose's color is too strong, some pink flowers/roses can help soften it and make it look great.

Kristine, that's funny :)

Thank you GardeningTeenager.

Helen

• rosecanadian
    last month

Kristine - LOL :) :)

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    last month

Rose catalogs should just be filled with your pictures! They are gorgeous!!!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you for the kind words Mas :) Helen

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    last month

I still can’t believe that is a single plant of Bathsheba. So beautifully abundant!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    last month

Maryc, I'm feeling the same, lol. I'm really impressed with Bathsheba. David Austin did a great job with the introduction of Bathsheba. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Spirit of Freedom (AUSbite) climber rose bred by David C. H. Austin (UK, 1998) and introduced in the UK (2002). I have Spirit of Freedom (grafted on Dr Huey) on each side of my arbor, and they look great in their fourth year. I love this rose with its petal-packed blooms, good repeat, nice fragrance, and great health in my garden. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    27 days ago

More Spirit of Freedom's pics... Helen

• rosecanadian
    27 days ago

Helen - oh, how fabulous!!!! Your roses are unreal!!! When I saw the first picture of your 2nd set of pictures, I though...wow!! That would look fabulous on a tea cup!!! My goodness!!

27 days ago

Oooooh! Love, love, love, your Spirit of Freedom. It looks like it climbs quite high in your climate.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Thank you Carol. It's one of my favorite shots, too :)

Stephanie, you are right. Spirit of Freedom is doing excellent in my garden. It reaches its full potential in my garden. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Eden (MEIviolin/Pierre de Ronsard/Eden Climber/Eden Rose 85) climber rose bred by Jacques Mouchotte (France, before 1985) and introduced in France (1985). The 3-inch cream, carmine-pink edge blooms have up to 60 petals and moderate fragrance. This rose does not repeat as fast as other climbers in my garden but each flush is a showstopper, and it is very healthy in my garden.

I had 3 Eden before, but I gave away 2 of them to make room for other climbers. Even only with one Eden, I love it. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    26 days ago

More Bathsheba's pics... Helen

• rosecanadian
    26 days ago

Helen - The changing colors of your Bathsheba blooms make this rose a standout!!! You grow it to perfection! I am agog every time I open your posts!!!! And that first picture of Eden!!!! Oh my word!!!! If I could grow roses like that...I'd cry with happiness. :) :)

26 days ago

Wow your one Eden is huge! Which of your climbing roses has the most blooms throughout the season? Not the most blooms all at once, but the one that is constantly blooming.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Carol, I love Bathsheba. It is just amazing in every way in my garden. If I remember correctly, there are some warm areas in Canada that are zone 8 or 9. If you ever want to live in those areas, tall climbing roses will be doable, right?

Stephanie, the climbing roses that blooms all the time in my garden are Bathsheba, Strawberry Hill, Teasing Georgia, Quick Silver... Helen

26 days ago

Yay! I got Quicksilver from your list. A baby plant this year, after seeing your beautiful one.

• Diane Brakefield
    26 days ago

Helen, I just checked, and the coldest average temp in January in Victoria, BC, is 38F, and in Vancouver, BC, it's 35. It doesn't even freeze there. So about US zone 9 maybe? Carol, move to south BC near the coast. I'll meet you there. Bathsheba is exquisite, Helen. She gets better as she ages. Your photos of this rose in 2020 on HMF were beautiful, but these latest photos are even beautifuler (I know that's not a proper word, but it expresses my feelings). How large is your Bathsheba, and I forgot if you have more than one plant. If you do have multiples, do you grow them together? Diane

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Diane Brakefield
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    26 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

That’s wonderful Stephanie! it will look gorgeous in your garden, and you will love it.

Diane, I think that is a good plan, lol. I only has one Bathsheba. It’s 10ft H x 4ft W. You saw the post of the full plant with the arbor, and the recent post is the back of the plant. Helen

• rosecanadian
    25 days ago

Helen - yeah, not too likely we'll be moving again. But it's a nice thought. :) :) We have temperatures going below freezing again tonight. Boo!

Diane - okay!! We'll buy an acreage!! :) :) I can't wait to grow roses with you!! LOL :) Cause yours are GORGEOUS!!! :)

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Mama Africa (SPEresso/Espresso) florist rose bred by Jan Spek (Netherlands, 2005) and introduced in South Africa by @ludwigsroses (2009). This rose has a very unusual brown burgundy color blooms that last for a few weeks on a bush. It is very healthy and repeats well in my garden. Helen

• rosecanadian
    23 days ago

If proliferation is beautiful to you :):) then this rose is awesome, because I love everything else about it. The first picture almost made me like proliferation, because it's SUCH a beautiful shot!!! Wow!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    23 days ago

Helen, what gorgeous colored roses in the gorgeous photos. This rose has such strong color that I like the proliferations. Much larger, though, and they would dominate the bloom too much. I love Mama Africa. Diane

• summersrhythm_z6a
    22 days ago

Wow, what a beautiful rose!!! I wish I got that one. I should have bought more Ludwigs roses!!! That was a rare chance we got years ago. I glad it’s doing great under your care.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked summersrhythm_z6a
    22 days ago

Wow! So many blooms of Mama Africa! Love it!

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Thank you Carol, Diane, Summer, and Stephanie.

Carol, you are so funny. I love your comment, lol.

Diane, I agree. I love this rose.

Summer, the roses that we got from Ludwigs' are very special. I hope they will open their office again in the US.

Stephanie, this rose is so pretty that I normally don't cut the blooms and just leave them on the bush. This time, I wanted to capture a bouquet of this rose so I cut the blooms off :) Helen

• rosecanadian
    21 days ago

I'm glad you took my comment with the humor and good will which was my intent. :) :) :)

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    18 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Eustacia Vye (AUSegdon/Sts. Francis and Claire) shrub rose bred by David Austin and introduced in the UK (2019) and US (2021). The apricot, pink, rosette, ruffled blooms have a strong, fruity fragrance and 41+ petals. It's 4ft H x 4ft W.

These are the first blooms of Eustacia Vye in my garden. The buds of this rose look a lot like Olivia Rose Austin's that I was worried I got the wrong rose. However, when the blooms opened with the unmistaken apricot color at the center, I'm so happy it's the right rose. I love this rose. Helen

18 days ago

What a beautiful rose!

• Diane Brakefield
    18 days ago

Helen, I love it. EV retains its beauty in all stages of her bloom, it looks like from your excellent photos. Are you impressed so far with Eustacia? I think EV is much more beautiful than Olivia and has better color and bloom structure. Diane

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    18 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Thank you Stephanie. This rose is so beautiful, I wish I had room to grow more than one in my garden 😊.

Diane, I agree. EV is an improved version of Olivia Rose Austin. I especially love roses with EV or Miyabi‘s looks. The blooms have a mix of many colors blending from the center to the outer edges with an English rose look, imagining Distant Drums' color scheme with petal-packed blooms. The blooms have so much depth and character. I think David Austin does an excellent job with the US 2021 roses. I love both Eustacia Vye and Gabriel Oak.

Helen

• rosecanadian
    17 days ago

Ohhhhhh!!!!! I want that rose!!!! It's heavenly!!! If that were in my yard, I wouldn't be able to stop staring at it. Incredible!!!

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Carol, I have been doing the same, lol. Helen

• rosecanadian
    15 days ago

:) :) :)

• rosecanadian
    13 days ago

Helen - !!! !!! I adore your RF!!!! I've got one that's still doing nothing...no leaves...just canes. But, I'm excited that it may eventually look like yours!!! Eeeeee!!!! I love it!! Yours looks pretty tall...is it? :) :) :) And your Earth Angel is exquisite...I really love the color!! :)

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Yes, Rosemantic Fuchsia is a tall rose. It is in a 15-gallon pot. You take good care of your potted roses, so I think RF will look even better in your garden, Carol 😊. Yes, I love Earth Angel’s blooms. They are special. Helen

• rosecanadian
    13 days ago

Helen - my roses are nothing compared to yours. Seriously!! :) :) But, I'm glad I got this rose...yours looks fabulous!

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Carol, I love your potted roses. I think they look gorgeous! Helen

• rosecanadian
    12 days ago

Awwww....you're sweet! :) :) :) And you wouldn't think that if you saw them now. They're not doing very well. I blasted them with needless acidity. Sigh.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Carol, I’m sorry to hear that. Whatever you did, I’m sure @strawchicago z5 can help you fix it. Please keep us update on the progress. Helen Helen

• rosecanadian
    12 days ago

Thanks, Helen! I don't know if anyone can help. I have to get them more pH balanced. Sigh.