SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aclute

Is it worth upgrading my 80CFM bath fan to 110CFM?

7 years ago

I have a master bathroom that is about 150 sqft big, with an attached closet that is ~80sqft.

Bathroom has a closed up toilet room, double sinks, a jet tub (which is never used) and a 5' shower.

Fan is directly next to shower and isa Broan 80CFM.

I recently started putting a hygrometer in the bathroom to track humidity because I get condensation on a large picture window that is over the bath tub.

Resting RH is ~50-51% in the bathroom, while the rest of the house is at 45-48% (I am assuming because of wet towels drying on the rack).

When I take a shower in the morning, I turn the fan on, leave the double doors into the bathroom open a bit, and the RH will creak up to 54% or so.

When my wife takes a shower she leaves the doors closed ("otherwise it makes the room cold"), still runs the fan, and it can get up to as much as 63% RH.

Fan is on a time to run for an hour.

Bottom of the bathroom doors only has about a 1/4" clearance on it.

By calculations, it looks like 80CFM is to small for this bathroom. I have found a replacement motor assembly for the 110CFM model that is easily swapped out in the same housing.

If I do that, will it make a difference in the humidity in the bathroom at resting, as well as not allow it to get so high when she takes a shower?

(I would love to figure out a way to stop the condensation on the window in the winter, but with a 4 sqft piece of glass in the winter, it gets cold enough to get below a fairly high dew point in the bathroom with that much humidity).

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths