SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
earl1636

Do I Have to Rip out the Ceiling to Upgrade my Range Hood?

earl1636
7 years ago

I'm looking for the advice of HVAC experts out there...
My current range hood vents through the joists of the floor above to the exterior wall about 15' away. It's a 300 CFM range hood with 6" ductwork. We're upgrading the kitchen and we're going with a Vent-a-Hood 18466 on account of the Wolf 5-burner gas cooktop and deep fryer - it covers the entire cooking area (just) and has 4 vent areas so we only have to use what we need - which may turn out to be all 4 more often that not! This range hood specifies 12" ductwork.
How do we change the size of the ductwork? Do we have to cut open our smooth-finish (upgraded) ceilings in the kitchen? Is there some way to pull out the old and put in the new without cutting them open? Would it be easier to move the cooking appliances over and just create a new run between different floor joists?
If we do have to cut the ceiling open - how bad will the damage be? 15' wide kitchen (= path to the exterior wall) opened how wide? How much am I looking at to get my ceiling back to a smooth surface?
Don't ask me if I really need any of the appliances listed above - it's a done deal. (You may, however, ridicule me - within reason. I'd rather you didn't.)
Note that we will have framers/drywallers/HVAC/plumbers/electricians/masons etc. in the house for other renos at the same time...

Comments (11)