peace lily care

cajungal32884

My sister has a peace lily, 3 years old, from her husband funeral. She does not have a green thumb, do she asked my help. It looked badly wilted, like it was dying. a few weeks ago I repotted it into a bigger pot, to give it room to grow so the roots are not strangled, and I trimmed the dead leaves off, I inserted 4 Jobes houseplant fertilizer sticks into the soil, and I've been watering it every few days, (but the water tends to drain straight out, I think the soil we

bought sucks). It looks better and greener than it did before, but the ends of the leaves are brown (I trimmed the ends of some of the leaves) and the plant still looks crowded and it won't grow tall and leggy like the other peace lillies, and it hasn't bloomed in years. Can somebody please offer me some advice on how to nurse this plant back?

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cajungal32884

Sorry wrong board....

Save    
John M

I would suggest a grow light. I recommend the Aspect just because it looks better in the home than any others I saw on the market. Check it out and give it a shot www.soltechsolutionsllc.com/aspect/

Save    
lindac92

The brown ends of the leaves on a peace lily mean that you have too much minerals in the soil....either from over fertilizing or from repeatedly watering with hard water.
Repotting should help with the hard water mineral build up issue, but then you added more minerals...
since it seems to be over mineralized ..if that's a word..LOL!....water running through is good, washes the soil a bit.
Also peace lily is a shade plant....suitable for very low light spots. Is it getting too much sun?

Save    

Related Stories

Gardening Guides Exuberant Self-Seeders for Gorgeous, Easy-Care Gardens
Keep weeds down, color high and maintenance low with beautful plants that sow themselves
Full Story
Architecture The Passive House: What It Is and Why You Should Care
If you don’t understand passive design, you could be throwing money out the window
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 10 Tips for a More Peaceful Home
Turn your everyday living space into a serene retreat by clearing visual distractions, softening your lighting and more
Full Story
Lighting House Hunting? Look Carefully at the Light
Consider windows, skylights and the sun in any potential home, lest you end up facing down the dark
Full Story
Life Tap Into Your 5 Senses to Find More Peace at Home
It’s time to counteract screen overload by rediscovering the basic ways to enjoy life
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Peacefulness and Pugs in Tampa
Soothing colors and cushy furniture make for a comfy-cozy apartment for a shop owner and her pets
Full Story
Decorating Guides 9 Design Recipes for a Peaceful Bedroom
Find your bliss in these dreamy, relaxing sleep spaces
Full Story
Living Rooms Room of the Day: A Peaceful Library Serves as a Couple’s Retreat
Heirlooms, books and other meaningful items all have a place in this cozy Dallas room
Full Story
Nursery Ideas 8 Tips for Peaceful Bedroom Sharing With Baby
Enjoy better sleep, neatness and enough space for everyone’s things with these shared-room strategies
Full Story