SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forshoppingonline

Living upstairs during the reno: how to minimize the dust?

Pink Poppy
7 years ago

I can't believe it, we are due to start our reno in just a few weeks' time! Most of our materials have been selected and ordered. On to obsessing about construction dust!!

I've been reading all the threads I can find about how to control and minimize the amount of dust spreading through the house during the reno. I've collected many fantastic ideas (thank you GWers!) and plan to use many of them, including:

• Tape double layers of plastic sheeting over all doorways.

• Use zipwalls if possible.

• Hang damp blankets during heavy dust producing times (e.g. drywall work).

• Direct a fan outside to create a vacuum to pull some dust outside.

• Vacuum with a shop vac as often as possible.

• Pack up as many items as possible and cover/tape up anything that has to remain.

• Keep a good quality air filter running during the reno.

We will be doing a gut reno of our kitchen and will also be ripping out the tile flooring all the way up to our front entrance. Our kitchen and living areas are downstairs and our bedrooms are upstairs. Our house is heated with baseboard radiators, so at least we don't have to worry about dust getting upstairs via the heating ducts.

The passage between the lower and upper floors is quite open so it will be challenging (but not impossible) to block off with plastic sheeting. If I do all of the above, will it still be necessary to tape up all my upstairs bedroom closets, bookshelves and linen closet? I'll do it if it means saving me the pain of cleaning dust out of all my clothing and bedsheets... but I don't want to go through all that extra work if the amount of dust coming upstairs will be minimal.

I'm quite sensitive to dust and I have two little ones who I don't want to expose to the dust, so we plan to sleep over at our relatives' home during the dustiest parts of the reno. Once the dustiest work is all done, will it still be too dusty to sleep and live in our upstairs during the reno?

Comments (32)