SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

How do you get rid of a layer of dust from remodeling?

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

We've been painting, refinishing and staining the floors and are doing a gut reno of the kitchen. There's a layer of dust everywhere. More so in the rooms that adjoin the bathroom where we retiled but also in other rooms upstairs and of course, in rooms connecting to the kitchen.

First I gave the floor a quick sweep. Then I mopped but still dust and you can see the streaks from the mop. After reading posts about how to clean hardwoods, I vacuumed but there was still dust so I mopped again. But even after I mopped with warm water, I still noticed dust (it would appear on the kids clothes and when I wiped my finger on the floor). And you can see dirt on the mop even after it's been rung out. I then used a microfiber mop and saw some dust accumulate. But there is still is a very thin layer of dust here and there and I want to put in area rugs soon. Am I going to have to go on my hands and knees with a damp rag? I haven't even gotten to the blinds or the baseboard or walls. What do I need to do to get the place thoroughly cleaned and does this fall beyond the housekeeper purvey? I have young children and lots of allergies. We changed the air filters a few weeks ago.

I am also wondering if I should buy a professional cleaners' pail on wheels since we now have so much hardwood or if I invest in a steamer. We still have to refinish the downstairs floors so I am expecting more dust/debris

Thank you!

Please advise.

Comments (29)