SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Smokers and ductwork

Pyewacket
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We've been cleaning nicotine off the walls for about 4 days now. Then I'll double-coat with Killz Original primer (oil base). Ceilings also.

That leaves all the tar and crap in the ductwork.

This house was built in 1958 and while it doesn't still have the original furnace (that was oil) it does have the original gas REPLACEMENT for the oil furnace, LOL! At least 40+ years old and definitely shot, it is being replaced. No AC unit. That should take care of any crap that has settled on/in the furnace.

We were quoted $6000 to replace the ductwork- which seems stupidly high, given there isn't a run longer than 30' from the furnace to anywhere. There is no more than 75' (probably less) total ductwork in the house to service 3 bedrooms, the kitchen, and the great room. There is no ductwork in the bathroom but such could easily be added as the mechanical closet is right next to the bathroom. The heater is centrally located. Current ductwork is rigid.

$6k to replace that seems pretty high to me. What do you guys think?

And is there any other way other than replacement to mitigate half a century plus of having smokers living in the house and crudding up the existing ductwork?

Cleaning is apparently of dubious value according to a study done in Florida - plus after seeing what that stuff (tar and nicotine) does to the walls there is no way that running a rubber brush through there or blowing air through it is going to remove nicotine and tar.

But replacement is out of the question if that $6k estimate is anywhere near reasonable.

BTW can't use air fresheners to cover up the residual smell from the ducts. I have birds. Ozium is totally out of the question as well for the same reason, health of my birds. Any other ideas? I'm sure stumped, LOL!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH