SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

I've been BAD (to some of my nice clems)

petalique
7 years ago

Maybe you folks gave give me a slap, then some suggestions.

June was a hectic month, and extremely dry. Too much to do, ....

I watered, but didn't weed or mulch some of the clems. Then, one of my favorites got 'mugged' by me doing something stupid.

1) I figured Ville de Lyon was a gonner, but I see signs of it (in a pot now) coming back. A week or two ago, I put a bit of Epsoma rose tone around it, just a bit. SLOW. Any suggestions for helping this one get back to it's former glory?

2) HF Young did really well last year. It's in lean soil next to a garden mesh fence where I would like to plant some tall green beans. I've watered, but I guess this one and others got no fertilizer or mulch. It's got very little vine coming up. No bloom of course.

Since it doesn't belong where it is, can I gently relocate it to where I do want it? I'm fairly good and transplanting things, even when they are in growth mode (I know, not good, but sometimes cannot help it).

Even if I just leave her be, will she bloom if I mulch and gently fertilize with Rose Tone?

3) I have an 'Elsa Spath' (tends to bloom later) that is just too much under the drip line of our large eaves and in junky gravely soil. It has bloomed nicely in the past, but only because I have to water it and baby it -- daily watering, fertilizer, mulch.

Anyone ever plant clematis under a large overhanging eave (what we have) and forget to water it just about daily? I guess I'm going to have to (in fall?) move the roots out two feet away from the trellis so that they get rain (when it rains).

Margot Koster is lovely, but seems to not stand out where she is on a trellis against a red cedar house. She's also under the large eaves and needs babysitting a lot. She's blooming nicely right now. So when can I relocate her? One year, on that same site, I had an incredibly lush Ramona or 'Anna Louise'. I was out of town for an extended period of time and forgot to remind DH that it needed regular watering. I came back to a crispy vine, but that purple lavender color looked great there. Photos someplace on one of the many back up disks.

Long post, sorry. Thanks for any ideas.

Oh, maybe I should put some perlite in the V d L -- repot it with more perlite, I mean.

Comment

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio