SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yvonne_99

Hardie plank ground clearance

yvonne_99
7 years ago

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question. I have a house built in 1985; I've only been in the home for 2 1/2 years. This house currently has fake wood siding that I'm going to replace with Hardie plank. My house is on a slab.

Here is my question. I've talked with lots of siding companies; some are James Hardie preferred, some are not. Two companies said I need a 6" ground clearance for Hardie siding. In order to achieve that they would need to install a 6" band of pvc and then start the Hardie installation. They also said if I didn't install the pvc band it would not break the warranty for the whole installation, but if the bottom planks suffered damage (peeling etc) those boards would not be under warranty.

Some companies say that it is not necessary even though it would cause my Hardie siding to have a ground clearance of only 2" - 3" in some areas. One company said I could just trench some of the soil away from my house.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with ground clearance and Hardie siding? Would you have the 6" pvc installed?

Thanks for any information you can share.

Comments (8)