Game CXIV. In July the Sun is Hot
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (135)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
new: obf: july 'beat the heat' swap
Comments (134)hi everyone. lots to catch up on. hope EVERYONE is well, prayers and happy thoughts to all that need them. melissa, just love that lili pic. i remember the first time my son fed himself spaghetti. head to toe and everything in between. carol, in such a short period of time, your yard is amazing. dottie, this weather is nuts, isn't it. i appreciate the rain, less to water, especially since i never hooked up the drip system (again) this year. i still don't have a red tomato, but i certainly have some wonderful weeds. i'm not losing sleep over anything in the back yard beds this year, i have all intentions of revamping absolutely everything and building a few raised beds and walls come autumn. my hydrangeas this year have been the most spectacular show stoppers in my beds. each one is prettier than the next and so many different colors. i hope to dry some blooms this year and keep them at least until christmas that i can put them in a tree. a friend of mine did that one year and it was such a wonderful tree. just hydrangea and vertical ribbons - simple and gorgeous. my g-babe turned 3 last friday and we floated around to various spca's and finally, she found her dog who she named "lisa". it's a cute little thing - a wire haired dachsund. i am thinking it might be a little mix in it, but she's so cute and rather intelligent. a real cuddle bug too. my g-babe is learning to walk her and pick up after her on our walks as well. hot and sticky today - i relented and turned on the air. i've had it on in the car for about a month already this month's swap boxes are just great so far. hope to read about august soon. time to catch up on all the OBF activities. be well everyone, happy blooms maryanne...See MoreSS Support Mon. July 9th through Sun. July 15th
Comments (23)Donna - I have a lot of confidence that you will find some time to "play" next week, enjoy the time off! Besh - I agree, don't get frustrated, we have all been there and if you keep behaving it will only be a temporary gain. Suzanne - I love tarragon too, also rosemary. Dee - one of our closest friends is a dentist. I always ask him how it feels to have so many people afraid of you. He is one of the nicest men I know and I can only imagine that he is very gentle and compassionate as a dentist. He lives over an hour away or I would go to him. Marci - I have my gyn appointment in a couple of weeks - I dread it too, but necessary. How is DD doing (and you)? I can't wait to see DD#1 in a few weeks! Patti - if you are reading, we miss you, hope you are having fun being a grandma LOL. My MIL had been visiting since Sunday, she was suppose to leave on Sunday but became very bored and left today. I guess my BIL's house is more exciting (thank goodness). You can't even believe all the things we did with her and she is still bored. She had her hair done, we took her shopping, out on the boat, out to breakfast twice, out to lunch another day and out to dinner one night. DH went into work late so they could spend time together and 20 family members were with us Sunday and Monday. I wish I had time to get bored. QOD - No agenda and I hope it stays that way. I haven't had my house to myself since last Friday and it feels good to just be home. As much as I go out I am really a homebody at heart. Friends are coming up from FL tomorrow evening, so we will probably go boating if the weather permits. Enjoy your weekend....See MoreJuly 2017, Week 3, General Garden Conversation & Harvest Talk
Comments (103)Amy, I avoided the kitchen all I could this weekend because of the heat. We either ate cold meals, ate out, or cooked on the grill outdoors. It is too hot to can, but I'll be doing it this morning anyway. At least the weather today won't be quite as hot. My purple pole beans still are producing too, but I'm tired of picking them (because, you know, then I have to process them or cook them for dinner, lol) so I am going to let the ones still on the plant dry for seed. Nancy, The cooler air is just so nice, even without rain. Rebecca, I cannot believe how hard the squirrels have come back after the tomatoes after they figured out they still could get to them despite the stockings covering them. It is too bad you aren't rural and couldn't let a neighbor just shoot the little furry rodents. That would solve the problem. For what it is worth, I've been watering the zinnias 2 or 3 times a week, and they still manage to wilt and twist and look bad every afternoon. It is sad when the heat is too much for them. I'm hoping to be able to get them through the next couple of hot weeks so they can continue to bloom into fall. The butterflies love them so much that I'd hate to lose them. Melissa, Congrats on getting the home projects done. This is the time of the year when I usually start working on projects indoors in order to give myself a reason to avoid going outdoors in this heat. Even though my garden has had squash bugs for a couple of months, they really haven't been doing much apparent damage until the last couple of days. I know it is time to yank out squash plants now, if I can make myself stay outside long enough to do it, so the squash bugs will perish for lack of something to eat. The danger in doing that is that the surviving squash bugs might move to the muskmelon and watermelon plants in order to survive, so maybe I'll take out the squash plants one by one---maybe one per day---so I can continue to harvest melons for as long as possible before the bugs move to those plants. There are times (and this is one of them) when I wish I could just not care about being organic and instead just go nuts and spray all the squash plants with a synthetic pesticide to kill the squash bugs, but as much as I fantasize about doing it, I'm just not willing to use those chemicals in my garden. Sometimes peppers are slow in the heat and then produce very heavily in the autumn. Since yours haven't done much yet, I'm assuming they're saving themselves for the cooler fall weather. Sometimes putting out shallow pans of water for the birds will deter them from eating the tomatoes since what they're really after is water. Sheets will work only if they completely cover the plants like a tent and are held down firmly to the ground to keep birds from getting up underneath them. Bird netting works, but only if the birds cannot find a way underneath it. Those fake owls absolutely do not work so save your money there. Anything that moves in the sun, preferably something highly reflective, often will startle the birds and keep them away. You can use bird flash tape (our Walmart had it earlier in the season, I don't know if they have it now), aluminum pie pans, old CDs, etc. Tie them to the plants or to the cages using thread, string or fishing line and leave them loose so they can twist and turn and move in the wind. Eileen, Those cucumbers are diseased, which is not uncommon because there's tons of diseases that affect cucumbers---they are disease magnets and cucumber beetles spread diseases right and left all summer long. If you haven't fed the plants lately, you might feed them the water-soluble fertilizer of your choice to see if it pushes out a lot of new growth. Then you could remove all the old diseased foliage. I'm not sure what your cucumbers have. You can go to the Cornell University vegetable MD online website and compare your plants to photos there of cucurbit diseases and see if you find a match that helps you figure out what it is. To me, cucumber diseases look so much alike that I rarely bother trying to figure out which one a plant has---it largely is irrelevant because once they're sick and we are this hot, it is hard to save them. I just yank out the cucumbers in late July or early August and plant new seeds for fall. Here's the cucurbits page from vegetablemdonline: Cucurbit Disease Info At Vegetable MD Online With cucumber diseases, you often get multiple diseases at the same time, making diagnosis by photograph really tricky. You can cut off the sunscalded parts of the cucumbers and eat whatever is left. H/J, Normally the spider mite population peaks around late July and starts falling. Hopefully that will happen in your garden (it would help if some rain would fall since spider mites like it dry and dusty). The spider mites I had on my peppers earlier in the summer never did much damage and seem mostly gone now. Perhaps lady bugs or green lacewings or some other beneficial insect ate them. My tomato plants look like crap but are still producing too. That's really all we can ask of them when it is this hot and dry, and when pests and diseases galore are everywhere. Tomatillos do not fall off the plant while very small unless some insect or disease is infesting them. With tomatillos it usually is because some very small tomatillo grubs, sort of like tomato pinworms, infest them. I haven't had them here, but lots of people in OK have a lot of trouble with them and cannot get a tomatillo crop because of them. Spraying the plants in general with Bt might help. Ground cherries are edible, but I found myself unimpressed by them the year I grew them and never bothered growing them again. YMMV. Jerry, I bet it was all the rain that affected your watermelon flavor. I have had heavy rainfall do that to mine some years. I hope the watermelon jelly gels, but even if it doesn't, you'll have yummy watermelon juice to drink. My garden is burning up right along with yours. I could keep watering and maybe keep it going, but there's no point in this heat. I'm going to focus on keeping the peppers, the flower border and the fall tomatoes alive and let everything else go. In a few weeks, I'll plant stuff for fall......if it seems like it might rain again some day. I'm not big on trying to start a fall garden in vicious heat if there's no rain, so reserve the right to change my mind about fall plantings. Really, with lots of canning done, tons of potatoes and onions in dry storage, and the freezers just about full, I can walk away from the garden and know we have had a really productive year despite the weather. We did have 1/3 of an inch of rain yesterday evening. It was nice, but I'm not overly excited about it---today's sunshine probably will suck up all that moisture right out of the ground before the sun sets today. In the overall scheme of things, 0.33" isn't enough to get excited about. Now, if we'd had 1 or 2 or 3" I'd be deliriously happy, but that didn't happen and it almost never happens in July or August, so I'm not getting my hopes up. We've been dry all year and, while that 3" of rain that fell in early July helped a lot, it is long gone and the soil is dry and cracked and parched and it is going to take a lot of rain over a prolonged period of time to turn things around. I just don't see that happening in July or August. So, thinking about how dry we've been most months of the year just made me wonder what things look like statewide in terms of year-to-date rainfall...you know....who's had above average rainfall (Jerry? Nancy? anyone?)....who's had below average rainfall (Me? Amy? Melissa? Eileen? anyone else?).....is anyone sitting right at average rainfall? So, I'm going to go get the average rainfall maps and post them here and we can all look at them and ponder why the weather does what it does. Here's the year-to-date rainfall in inches: OKMesonet Year To Date Rainfall in Inches Of course, the rainfall map in inches is more meaningful if you know how much rain each area receives because there is a huge variation in average rainfall totals across the state. So, here's the map that shows rainfall as a percentage of average rainfall for the same time frame: Year To Date Rainfall As A Percentage of Average The numbers on the above map surprised me. Even folks who have had plentiful rainfall at times aren't doing that well overall. So, one final measurement is the map that shows how large of a rainfall deficit (or surplus) there is at each Mesonet station compared to what would be average rainfall for the same period. Here's that map: Year To Date Rainfall Departure From Average The above map is pretty self-explanatory. Blue is great, orange is awful, and everything else in between could be considered various shades of good or bad. And, really, for our gardens, what matters most is what has happened in the last month, but it has been so dry, I refuse to look at those maps because it would be too depressing. July is the hardest month. Dawn...See MoreA Hot Game for August
Comments (99)Just the Facts, Ma'am: The Authorized Biography of Jack Webb, Daniel Moyer...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

CALIFORNIA GARDENINGCalifornia Gardener's July Checklist
Bite into tree-fresh apricots, inhale delightful garden perfumes and continue planting vegetables for a late-summer harvest
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTo-Dos: Your July Home Checklist
Crank up the ice cream maker, hang up the hammock and raise the outdoor umbrella. Summer's in full swing this month
Full Story
FUN HOUZZGuessing Game: What Might Our Living Rooms Say About Us?
Take a shot on your own or go straight to just-for-fun speculations about whose homes these could be
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSNew Series to Give a Glimpse of Life ‘Unplugged’
See what happens when city dwellers relocate to off-the-grid homes in a new show premiering July 29. Tell us: Could you pack up urban life?
Full Story
LIFE6 Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs
Snow and dark days dampening your spirits? These ideas will have you looking on the bright side
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESNorthern California Gardener's September Checklist
Welcome to the best season for planting just about everything, and for tackling major landscaping projects to boot
Full Story
SAVING WATERHouzz Call: Are You Letting Go of Your Lawn?
Many facing a drought are swapping turf for less thirsty plantings. If you’re one of them, we’d like to hear about it
Full Story
FRONT YARD IDEASBefore and After: Front Lawn to Prairie Garden
How they did it: Homeowners create a plan, stick to it and keep the neighbors (and wildlife) in mind
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDIf You Have Room for Only One Summer Crop ...
Get an edible that’s long on flavor even if you’re short on space, with a long-time gardener’s favorite picks
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPING11 Ways to Make Your Sleeping Porch Even Better
Turn off that air conditioner and tune in to the delights of slumbering in the nighttime breeze
Full Story
yoyobon_gw