SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

FOTESS JULY SWAP: CHRISTMAS IN JULY

sandlapper_rose
7 years ago

THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS IN JULY

I'm going to start out with posting this heading. I don't think I've started a new heading since we are on Houzz so I want to make sure it works before typing in the entire thing.

For anyone stopping by who is not already a member of FOTESS (Friends of the Earth Simple Swap), you must be a member in order to sign up for a swap. In order to find out more about membership you can contact me or Shirley or post here and we will get in touch with you.

Comments (192)

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Darrin, your CHRISTMAS IN JULY is all packed up and ready to go. I have to hang around the house for some fix it people, so will mail it later today or tomorrow.

Jeanne, take care of yourself and your business. Don't worry about getting a package out to me.

Sprinklers off since last Friday...it has rained off and on since Saturday...........very nice. I do not recall having rain in July....ever. August yes, but not July. We are slowly getting tomatoes but they want the sun back...LOL!

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, everyone! I'm going to start posting 2 Bingo choices a day so hopefully someone is a winner soon.

For today:

Naughty or Nice

The Stars Shine Above

It's still super hot here. They said today would be a bit cooler (ha... ha... below 100), but from being out there today it feels worse to me. Maybe the humidity is higher. (So far the humidity had been low which has been a big blessing.) Oddly, there are fewer bugs around. I don't think many of them survived the heat.

There is a chance of rain towards the weekend. Of course, when it's this hot, rain frequently turns into a bad storm. Not ready for that!

I took my cat to the groomers yesterday to get a summer haircut. He's normally long-haired and the thickest double coated hair imaginable. He sheds constantly. Last year was the first time I took him to the groomers and got him trimmed and bathed. He looks so much more comfortable. I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it.

Enjoy the rest of the day!

Jeanne

• Related Discussions

Christmas in July Swap

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi there, I have my fabric...just trying to finalize my project...but I am going to try to mail out by mid June - to make sure it gets there on time.... Have a great day everyone, Bill
    ...See More

Christmas/Winter in July Swap Sent & Received

Q

Comments (50)
    Merry Christmas!!!! I got a wonderful package in the mail today from Patti! I was so excited to see that it came all the way across the country from Washington!! AND....she has been to Morehead, KY! Thank you, Patti! Thank you for all my goodies: the beautiful Holiday Tablerunner, Christmas Season FQ, stained glass electric votive, Bath & Body Works Sun-Ripened Raspberry Hand Soap, Gardenia Breeze Hand Therapy, and wonderful Christmas card! Thank you so much! I will post pics asap. I can't wait to show my husband my treats! He is totally intrigued by this whole adventure. I am going to look up your home town on the map, and see how close it is to where my daughter and son-in-law are going next week. They are going for a conference for the third year in a row. Sometimes they bring me back rocks from the seashore. I put them in my little fountain on the screened in porch. My Christmas goodies are extra special because you have been to Morehead, and they came from a very special person in a very special place! Thank you, again. Meima
    ...See More

JULY FOTESS SWAP – FUN WITH WORDS

Q

Comments (43)
    We had a short thunderstorm last evening. Hooray! No need to drag hoses around this morning. Here's POINT GAME Part 2 This one is based on our Bingo word bilingual, relating to two languages. The items numbered are colors in a foreign language. The items with letters are types of flowers. Your task is to match the numbers and letters so each pair is written in the same language. Each of the letters and numbers will be used only once in your answers. (I hope the same word is not used in more than one language, but I will check that in awarding points.) Send your guesses to me through Message or email. Simply post here on the thread that you sent answers so I will be sure to look for them. Example. If these were in English and #8 was “gold” and the only other English word on the list was h. “daylily”, you would give that as one answer: 8h. Send me all 7 guesses for #1-7. You are matching the items under numbers and under letters so they are written in the same language. The person(s) with the most answers right will get 5 points. For 2 extra points you can list which language each pair is. 2 more points if you correctly translate all the words into English. The last 2 parts are not required as part of the game --- just a bonus if you want to try for it --- and all 7 must be correct for you to get bonus points. Please send your answers to me by the end of the day Saturday. I'll announce the winner on Sunday. Once again, I hope this makes sense. I'm “creating” these games as I go along so I always wonder if my instructions make sense. czerwona blanc amarillo oranssi bílý flavo blau a. nelke b. gardénie c. lys d. tulppaani e. helianthus f. crisantemo g. róża Remember, this is the last day to send in your Bingo words if you are interested. Tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the swap. Enjoy! Jeanne
    ...See More

*OBF Christmas in JULY* swap!

Q

Comments (37)
    Oh no! I sent some plant material. I sent a Neon philo with roots! And I sent 2 african violet/ sets of leaves (one mini) and one standard size! I wanted to send more, but the darn box was too small. I sent a medium sized box (not flat rate) and this time I probably should of used the flat rate one. The box I sent was $16. And the flat rate one was $14 something. But, I had the stuff all packaged, so didn't want to unbox anything at the post office. I can re-send the cuttings. There is no way they are alive if the box is in your mailbox all this time. :( Anyway, just let me know, and I'll send another box of plant cuttings out. I'll fill it a lot more this time! Because I'll have an empty box! I'll send some Hoya cuttings too. And other houseplants that I have. I totally loved your succulent starts you sent! :)
    ...See More
  • EricaBraun
    7 years ago

I received my pack today. Thank you so much, Beth! Here's what I got:

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great package that you received, Erica!

I received my package from Darrin and Elly today. It's fantastic! Everyone is being so creative. I tried taking a picture of what I received so I'll see if it's clear enough to post. I also took some pictures of my cat while I had the camera out. Not sure I will be online again this evening, but definitely tomorrow. I'll give you all the great details of my 12 Days of Christmas!

Please excuse me for for being a bit absent this month. We've just had so much going on . I'm so glad everyone is enjoying the theme.

Thanks again, Darrin and Elly. You two are the best!

Jeanne

• cryptid
    7 years ago

Jeanne, so glad you found your package pleasing! Elly nearly has the rooster finished.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't think my picture allows you to see much of what's included, but I'll provide details of this fantastic package from Darrin and Elly. It included all 12 Days of Christmas and some parts of the song had multiple things to represent them. Darrin, I needed something to cheer me up so thank you so much for this wonderful package.

Pears: Pears soap and pear tomato seeds

Dove: Dove dark chocolate (it's so delicious! I will have to allow myself just a little at a time to make it last.) Mourning Dove felt ornament, an Olive Garden "copycat" recipe and Darrin's own special version (Can't wait to try it!)

Dwarf French Marigolds and other references to "hen" as well as (Calling Birds) a scrub jay ornament and Elly is still creating a rooster to send. You can't see the birds well in the photo, but they are beautiful. They will go on my Christmas tree this year.

I have "Golden" with celery seeds and Hearts of Gold Melons and seeds representing "Goose Eggs" and Speckled Swan gourd seeds as well as Swan neck onion seeds.

For the Milkmaids - Cliff Maid seeds and Milkweed seeds

Mullein Pink "Dancing Ladies"

Bush bean seeds in a "lordly" color

Scottish tea representing the "Pipes" (bagpipes)

Giant Allium to represent the "drummers" drum sticks

Darrin also made a fantastic card with Santa enjoying "Christmas in July". Thank you, thank you, thank you. You put so much thought into this swap.

And now - Bingo words for the day:

Partridge in a Pear Tree

Silver Bells

I hope someone is getting to close to Bingo.

Enjoy the day.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And since I was downloading pictures from the camera to the computer, here is my cat Hershey with his summer haircut! He was adopted by us maybe 5 years ago (time flies) and was an adult cat at the time and listed as a Himalayan Mix. All I can say is I've never owned a cat with so much hair. This will keep him cooler and cut back on some housework, too! His eyes look a bit green in the photo, but they are blue. Unfortunately you can't see the end of his tail very well. This is a "lion cut" so the hair is left long on about the last quarter of his tail so it looks like a lion's tail. If you are going to change how a cat looks, you might as well be a bit fanciful!

That's all for now.

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Darrin, your package departed yesterday morning.

Tracking # 9505 5110 6414 5204 3777 62

I sent it priority flat rate. Most of time I send this way it is 2 day delivery. This is 3 day delivery. Does anyone know why that it is.....same price, same packaging. PO people can never answer that Q...HHHHMMMM! So delivery looks like it will be Monday.

Jeanne, great package from Darrin....very clever.

Heidi, prayers for your grandmother and for your family.

BINGO is not coming my way anytime soon....LOL....long way to go!

Happy Friday!

Annie

• cryptid
    7 years ago

Annie,...kewlest! Gleefully anticipating the arrival of your package. I know it'll be really creative and fun! :)

• cryptid
    7 years ago

Jeanne, super glad you like the package contents! It was totally fun to put together. :)

• cryptid
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

BTW,,...FOTESS rocks!! Thanks again, Erica, for recommending me for membership! :) Looking forward to participating more in OBF as well.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We're going to speed up Bingo a bit so we can get a winner. I'll post two selections now and one more towards evening.

Just drawn:

Maids a Milking

She Didn't See Me Creep

Good luck, everyone!

Jeanne

• cryptid
    7 years ago

Good lookin' fuzz-ball, that Hershey cat of yours. :)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hershey appreciates the compliments.

Bingo selection for this evening is:

Silent Night

I hope everyone has a restful night!

• cryptid
    7 years ago

You, too, especially, Jeanne! :)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Our next 2 additions to Bingo. I will post another this evening.

Called Him Names

Hard Candy

Have a good day!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's another Bingo selection for today:

Somebody Snitched on Me

I think some of the players only need 2 or 3 more so I will be busy pulling Bingo words tomorrow. I may not get a chance to mail the prize before surgery, but I do want the game to end.

( ... and Darrin sent another envelope to me with some things that didn't make it into the first package. Thanks again, Darrin!)

Annie, I have all of your items ready to box up so it will go out tomorrow. I'll try to remember to post the tracking number here.

Good night and sweet dreams to all,

Jeanne

• bluee19
    7 years ago

When is your surgery Jeanne? Sending you hugs and kisses.

Four more words for me, come on Jeanne, pick mine :)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My surgery is tomorrow so that's why I'll keep going to get a Bingo winner today.

The two I just selected are:

Frosty the Snowman

It Must Have been the MIstletoe

I've printed out the lists so I'm also watching from here trying to see when someone has Bingo.

Jeanne

• bluee19
    7 years ago

I only need two more words now :)

Hope everything goes smoothly and you will be back home soon. I know how stressful life can be. Sending you hugs!! If I can be of any help with this swap. Let me know Jeanne!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Nicole.

Here's another Bingo selection:

Midnight Clear

I'll be back on to select 2 more a bit later.

It's kind of neck and neck right now as I look at your Bingo lists!

Jeanne

• bluee19
    7 years ago

Ahhhhhh! Not my word ;(

feels like a horse racing right now.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think everyone's list is similar - there are only 7 more slips for me to pick.

The horses are coming down to the wire!

I picked two more and they are:

Jingle Bell Square

Figgy Pudding

And with that we have a winner! The winner is Connie (WildHareMavens) so it's a great way to welcome our newest member. I'll get the prize out soon. Congratulations, Connie!

I'll hopefully be back on later to update where we are with the swap.

Bye for now ...

Jeanne

• bluee19
    7 years ago

Congrats Connie!!

• kchd
    7 years ago
    Whoa, that was quite the BINGO game. Congrats to you, Connie!

Jeanne, I hope everything goes well with your surgery. I'll be thinking about you.

I plan to post the August FOTESS swap no later than this weekend, earlier if time permits. We finally got internet working at the new house. Hooray for small victories.

Katie
  • xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

My grandmother's funeral was great. I conducted the funeral so it took a lot more out of me. I still feel emotionally drained and I know that lasts quite awhile. When one conducts the funeral they don't get to grieve the same way and I'm giving myself permission to grieve.

Grandmother never told anyone her age. Even at her funeral nothing had her age on it, her date of birth, etc. Not the leaflets or the posting downtown. My grandmother wrote her own obituary with no dates and that's the one we used. We can all laugh a little and understand that was her way.

She wanted to be buried in her nightgown and robe and she looked absolutely peaceful and at rest. Thank you all for thinking of me.

Here are a couple pictures of my Stargazer Lilies and Tiger Lilies. Heidi

• kchd
    7 years ago
    Heidi, so sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounds like quite a character. It may have been draining, but still, how special that you performed the service. I'll be thinking about you!
  • bluee19
    7 years ago

There are no words I can say to heal the pain of losing a love one. I know all too well about that but know you are thought of. Sending hugs to you and know that we care/think about you during this very sad time.

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Hi Everybody!

Wow, I think I missed a really fun swap!

Hopefully, July is over and done with and I can relax a little!

Jeanne, hope you are doing well, got you in my prayers!

Heidi, I'm sorry to hear of your grandma's passing, but how special that you could conduct her funeral service. You, too, are in my prayers!

Connie, I don't think I ever welcomed you to FOTESS, so Welcome! Glad you could join the group! And congrats on the Bingo win!

Katie, can't wait to see what you've got in store for us! Are you all moved in? I lost track, somewhere along the way!

That 10 days off was wonderful! I wandered all over central Ohio and found 9 of the graveyards on my list. Also got some really good pics, despite the humidity and heat and had a great visit with Tabs and MyrnD! We tried tye dyeing, which was a hoot! The girls actually did well with the ink. The rinsing part really got to Chris and I, we have both decided that this was a one time shot. The shirts turned out good, tho.

Back to work today, if I hadn't had a great time off, it would have been a little hard, but I'm sure I'll be back in the swing of things by Friday.

Well, off to finish the dishes and kitchen, and then off to bed, still a little tired.

Jeanne, please let us know how you are, when you are able.

Shirley!

• cryptid
    7 years ago

"Woo hoo!" for you, Connie! :) I was 3 away.

Jeanne,...you are definitely in our thoughts and prayers also, thus we know everything will go well for you. :) I pray every day and have never been disappointed with the result!

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Evening Everyone!

I'm thinking it might be a while before we hear from Jeanne. Hoping the best for her!

Beautiful day here today, in the 90s but nice anyway! Had to water the flowers tonight, haven't done that very often this year, what with all the rain we've had. Would you believe I'm going to start some cleanup this weekend? NOOOO, it's way too soon!

Have a nice evening, All,

Shirley!

• cryptid
    7 years ago

Annie, your chock-full-o-goodies package landed here yesterday,...WOW, and WOW again! You sure made it feel like Christmas, alright! Let me count the ways,...

1) A Partridge in a Pear Tree - Since Partridges, pears and/or pear trees, can be a bit tricky

to stuff into a priority mail bubble envy, Annie chose a different path. --BEANS!!-- Not just

any beans, but exceedingly well chosen ones. To wit:

Painted Lady Runner Bean

Traditional English bi-color grown since 1596! The name had mention to Queen Elizabeth I, “who was heavily made up with rouge and white chalk.” The gorgeous flowers of red and white are among the most beautiful of flowering beans. The large beans are also good as snaps, freshly shelled or as dry beans, which are chocolate and tan mottled in color.

==========

Galeux D' Eysines Squash

(C. maxima) 95-100 days Possibly our most beautiful heirloom squash. This flattened, round 10-15 lb fruit has a gorgeous salmon-peach colored skin that is covered with large warts! The sweet orange flesh is used in France for soups and also can be baked. We are delighted to offer this French heirloom.

==========

Dixie Speckled Butterpea Lima Bean

76 days. Very productive. Beans are about the size of peas; red-speckled with a deep purple-rust color and grow well in hot weather. A delicious baby lima. Bush plants.

==========

Bean - Petite Filet

59 days. Phaseolus vulgaris. Semi-bush type plant produces heavy yields of 4" long by ½" wide deep green beans. These classic french beans have stringless pods and seeds are slow to develop. One of the best tasting French beans. Does well in hot and cold growing conditions. Disease Resistance.

2) Two Turtle Doves - A $5.00 gift certificate for "Dove" ice cream bars. Since I'm diabetic,

Elly and Roy can have those. Elly, especially, more than deserves such treats for everything she does. Me, I can always get DQ "No Sugar Added" Dilly bars (yum!). :)

To be continued,...

• cryptid
    7 years ago

3) Three French Hens - A lovely, large, dark chocolate, almonds and sea salt candy bar. Definitely Elly's, as she grabbed that bad boy quick as a flash, LOL! Loved it, needless to say. Left me only the wrapper to snap a photo of, LOL. Being Belgian chocolate, it's totally perfect, as in Belgium french is definitely widely spoken,...along with dutch and german, of course.

To be continued...

• cryptid
    7 years ago

4) Four Calling Birds - Kewl 3D bird stickers! :) You know I love special stickers.

5) Five Gold Rings - WOW! Dig it! A golden fairy sculpture for "our fairy garden". Pro tempore, this wonderful bit of whimsy lives at the top of our so-called home entertainment center.

To be continued...

• cryptid
    7 years ago

7) Seven Swans a Swimming - Key word,..."swimming.", and such a swimmingly perfect gift! A bluish kitchen towel, featuring an oceanic theme with exotic fish. Love it! Again, so totally apropos, considering our overall decor, here, is mostly coastal in nature.

9) Nine Ladies Dancing - Along with the fairy sculpture and fish towel, this one had the most meat on its bones. Totally for Elly,...a wonderful pair of warm, dancey blue-striped socks.

11) Eleven Pipers Piping - In Annie's words, "After the pipers are finished piping they might need some of this" - Vanilla Vibe lip balm. Snatched this pup for myself.

To be continued...

• cryptid
    7 years ago

12) Twelve Drummers Drumming - A wide, regal roll of red-n-glittery-gold patterned Christmasey ribbon. Definitely looks like a drum.

What a marvelous collection of choices, Annie! Thank you for your fun, creative thoughtfulness!! :)

• cryptid
    7 years ago

Oops,...I neglected to post a photo of the card Annie included in her package. Here it is:

And here's the inside:

The green Christmas trees are fun, plastic confetti. :) Hmmm,...now I shall have to figure a way to incorporate them into a project of some sort.

Any word about how Jeanne is doing?

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Jeanne -- Thank you so much for the poetry prize! I received it today.

7 years ago

As you know I work at a beef processing plant. I believe it was a "God thing" today. I was in an office and one of the head guys looked at me, then stared for a second while he was thinking, "Hey, do you chaplains want some meat? If not I'm going to render it. Do you think the food pantry wants it?" We are spreading beef all over our little town--food pantries, churches, WIC office, etc. Probably 300 lbs., we saved it from being burned up and people are going to eat well! PTL!

Heidi

• kchd
    7 years ago
    Hi FOTESS friends,

The August FOTESS Swap has been posted. Hope to see you there!

Katie
  • cryptid
    7 years ago

PTL indeed, Heidi! Certainly sounds like divine providence to me. See, that's the way it works a lot of the time,...straight out of left field. Particularly when you're a leader of the flock, I think. It's like "Here's a special gift, a special trust. You know what to do with it, so go on ahead, then." You are indeed a blessed person for having been handed "the ball" with this, so to speak. Happy for you and the fortunate recipients, we are! :) Thanks for sharing!

• cryptid
    7 years ago

Jeanne, thank you for the wonderful poetry prize! Totally lovin' it! :) - Pray you're doing well.

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Happy Friday....

I have not been around to open Jeannes Christmas in July package, which arrived a few days ago. And she also included my poetry prize....very cool!

And here are the 12 days of Christmas from Jeanne.....how fun!

*Christmas card and inside a 12 days of Christmas word search game

*Partridge in a Pear Tree.....Jeanne sent Pear preserves and a mug mat (made by Jeanne....love it) and in the pocket of the mug mat is American Classic Tea. The tea is the only tea grown in the U.S. and is grown at the Charleston Tea plantation in SC.

*Turtle Doves...a white bird with a clip so I can attach to my Christmas tree, a gift ect

*French Hens...Puffy Pancake recipe which uses eggs....a family favorite.

*Calling Birds....CD with Christmas songs "Home For The Holidays"...the birds not only call, they sing....LOL!

*Golden Rings...."Extra Golden" California Poppy Seeds

*Geese a Laying....an artificial egg and the egg layed "Interesting and Amazing Information On Geese"...................a got educated on Geese!

*Swans a Swimming.....a white wash cloth which reminded Jeanne of a swan.....and it is a soft one too!

*Maids a Milking.....Milky Way candy bars

*Ladies Dancing....They are dancing to the music on the CD....LOL!

*Lords a leaping...Star package tie ons.....leaping to reach the stars.

*Pipers Piping....A bookmark with Jeannes horse Piper.....How cool!!!

*Pipers Piping and Drummers Drumming.....A steno pad....and on the cover of the pad are pipers piping and drummers drumming.....

Jeanne, thank you so much! I absoloutley love my 12 days of Christmas......very, very clever.

And thank you for my prize!

Your surgery was on Tuesday. Thoughts and prayers......be well.

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, everyone. I came home from the hospital yesterday. I'm still very sore so I won't be online much for at least several more days. They did the robotic surgery on me so it doesn't look quite so bad on the outside, but I can tell plenty was done inside.

So glad you liked your package, Annie. I had fun putting it together.

I'll be back soon to read through the rest of the posts more carefully. Right now I don't bend well where I need to in order to sit. My husband has to help me to get up off a chair or when I'm laying down. Otherwise I would just be stranded there.

Talk soon.

Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Jeanne -- So glad you're home safely from the surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• smitties
    7 years ago

Heidi, how fortunate that you were able to share food that would have otherwise been destroyed.

Jeanne, glad your home from the hospital. I hope the pain is gone soon. Happy recovery.

I have been reading the posts. Some great packages and creativity. So glad everyone is having fun. Margo

• sjc48
    7 years ago

Jeanne, glad you are home and that everything went well. Take your time over recovering, okay!?

Heidi, how great you had the chance to "spread the wealth!" I don't think these kinds of things just happen - I think the Father picks out certain people he knows will do the most good and says "Here, go do it!" And we all know you would, Heidi!

Margo, did you get my email?

Katie, same thing!

Annie, what a great package!

Beautiful day here, lots cooler, which is a good thing!

Have a great weekend, All!

Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

Sending a belated but very sincere Thank You to Erica. She sent a group of seed packets with names that very cleverly included the 12 Days items.

examples are

Golden Jubilee Hyssop for golden rings Yellow pear tomatoe for Partridge to roost in and giant "cape Gooseberry" for Geese a laying.. Also a cute card showing Flamingos for Pink Swans.

Jeanne hope you are recovering as anticipated.

Thanks to both Erica and Jeanne. Sorry, I was not able to fully participate this month things got crazy here for a while.

7 years ago

I received the highly acclaimed FOTESS POETRY AWARD in the mail. I've been so busy at speaking engagements and shining the red white and blue scrubber that I haven't been here to post--you know how fame goes! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Please, if anyone hasn't received their swap for July, let me know so I can check on it. I admit I haven't kept up with things really well since my surgery. I think everyone has done a wonderful job on the 12 Days of Christmas!

Jeanne