SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gthigpen

Off center door on a symmetrical house

gthigpen
7 years ago

In the home stretch of finalizing our house plans. Here is the front elevation. Note that the siding, windows, porch columns and garage doors are not what is shown here. Our architect is working on our trim options now.

I love everything about this house, inside and out, BUT the front door is driving me crazy. In the very original sketch, the door was centered below the center gable. But due to the final placement of the stairs, the door had to be shifted to the right. He added the window to the left to balance it out and the combined window/door are centered.

I've asked for 2 things......to remove the small center porch gable so it doesn't scream "I'm supposed to be symmetrical, but I'm not!" Not sure how much that will help, but I'm hopeful.

OR play around a bit with the stairs and foyer width to see if something can be done to get that door back to center. We'll see if it's possible or not. It may require widening the house a bit and increasing riser heights to eliminate a riser.

Anyway, I guess my question to you guys is am I overthinking this? Maybe it's not that bad and I need to just let it go. The more I look at it the more it "grows" on me. Meaning that my first look was "I hate it!" and now I'm reaching the "it's annoying and not quite right, but in the grand scheme of things it will be OK" territory. :) Or do I need to do everything in my power to get it changed? Thank you!

Comments (77)