SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bermuda_raleigh

Bermuda Lawn Problems - Reel Mower + Brown Spotting

Hello, I've had bermuda sod on my lawn for two summers. It started off this spring fantastic, plenty of water and sun. I kept it mowed short with a reel mower set to about 2", fertilized it early spring, and all has been pretty good until I hit a problem with my mower. I've used an Earthwise reel mower until about a month ago. It worked pretty good, but twice it's gotten snagged on a piece of mulch or two and when I'd bump it out, the height adjustment spring would pop causing the blade to lift erratically. I replaced the part twice over the past year and finally just fixed the handle at a desired height with epoxy + metal screws. Worked great for a few months. Then my blade started randomly dropping again, causing a few scalped brown squares here and there. I got tired of the mower and got a Friskars 18" reel mower since it had decent reviews and looked like a more durable mower. I've mowed the lawn with it 3 times, and it cuts much better around edges and corners due to the front side wheels being in front vs. on the side. The blade cut, however, seems inconsistent as well. My lawn is not perfectly flat by any means, but it seems like it's scalping randomly and even more often than my old mower. Or could this be some kind of disease on the lawn that happens to coincide with my mower problems? I'm in the Raleigh, NC area - plenty of rain so far this year and I've watered when needed. Any advice you have is welcome. This is becoming quite the headache and I don't want to throw in the towel just yet - my lawn looked perfect about a month ago. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (5)