SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushaphr

Modin Vinyl Plank Reviews

susha
7 years ago

Modin Vinyl Plank offered by Flooret was something that came across my radar. I wanted to ask if anybody has used it in their homes and how it has fared? This company is 2 years old and they offer they a great wear layer(1.0) for a reasonable price. The installation is click and lock type which sounds good on paper and don't recommend glue. It would great to hear some reviews. Appreciate it.

http://www.flooret.com/modin-vinyl-plank-flooring/

Comments (346)

• parehm
    4 years ago

We're likely going with Provenza's Moda Living collection. We like True Story the most. Have spent probably $400 on samples and full boxes before finally deciding. We like the rustic farmhouse look of Provenza. It also still feels like real wood as opposed to printed wood. Also tons of folks on Instagram have some great pics of Provenza! We do still like Flooret a lot, but think Provenza will look better in our house.

• Lauren Reihl
    3 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of Lato installed? https://www.flooret.com/lato-72-click/

• Related Discussions

EZ Lay Vinyl Plank Reviews?

Q

Comments (69)
    We installed this in our sunroom in 2012 . The sun room isn’t heated in the winter.We get a little seperation when the January and February extreme cold weather hits. When warmer weather rolls around it tightens right up again. We heat our sunroom on warmer winter days so we basically use it year round. This product stands up great . I would use it anywhere in my house, but my problem is I can not find it . super product if you can find it
    ...See More

We LOVE our Vinyl Plank flooring. Review!

Q

Comments (21)
    Hello there! Well, Cancork, we finally prevailed. The inspector stated many things done incorrectly and offered no remedy. The contractor refunded our money, removed the flooring and hauled it away. Although the insurance company could not actually "make" him do it, he is in danger of not getting paid if we did not sign a certificate of satisfaction. Also, most of his work comes from the ins co. Now, that we are walking on that old tile AND concrete in the dining room again, the anxiety to committing to a new floor is awful. Do we try vinyl again or just do a laminate or bamboo.....very hard to decide. I think since the whole thing was started by a water leak, the water issue is steering us back to a vinyl. We just got a quote and the installation is more than the product. You warned us all about that, didn't you? That being said, we live in Texas and it seems everyone's house moves to some degree here. That being said, is a glue down vinyl an option for us? As a reminder, we have an old vinyl glue down floor in one large room and concrete in the other right now as a subfloor. That hard board in a laminate will damage easily in a if wet too long. We are paranoid that even a cup of coffee spilled on it would mess it up. You mentioned putting back carpet in an earlier post but to be honest, that would be a detriment to resale here and I am tired of the dust and cleaning. Your best recommendation?
    ...See More

Review of Nuvelle luxury vinyl planks?

Q

Comments (1)
    Home Depot theoretically has Nuvelle planks that are an off white: Nuvelle Take Home Sample - Deco Planks White Washed Solid Hardwood Wall Planks - 5 in. x 7 in.
    ...See More

Reviews of Lifeproof Luxury Vinyl Plank

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you for your response maddielee! We are just having a hard time deciding between the burnt oak and the shadow hickory. The burnt oak in the sample that we got looks very different in your picture as well as some of the few I have seen on the web. It looks more darker and richer. The sample has a more distressed look and it looks lighter in color. I know you mentioned in your post that you are currently away from your home. If you are going to get back in a day or two I would really appreciate it if you could post a few more pics! We need to decide in a day or two. Thank you!
    ...See More
  • Megz
    3 years ago

@MAdkins your remodel looks great! Do you happen to have any more pics of the Sutton? Thanks in advance

• Sasha Liles
    3 years ago

@MRBr04 Those floors are beautiful. They look like real hardwoods.

• MAdkins
    3 years ago

@Mrs. Green, thank you. It was a lot of work. Here are two other pics.

As you can see, Sutton is a mix of light and dark planks. I hope to do a better job of spacing out the light and dark planks when I do the rest of the house later this summer! Still, I love the versatility of the color and how my kitchen turned out. When I used my color muse to analyze the color I found that Sutton is an equal mix of greenish (lighter planks) and reddish (darker planks) so you can go warm or cool with your room colors. Overall it reads very neutral mid tone. I really like the white brush marks as well. Hope this helps.

• Megz
    3 years ago

@MAdkins. Thank you so much for the pics. These look Beautiful!

• Joanna Gerdy
    3 years ago

Does anyone happen to have pictures of Raeburn installed? I have looked all over and have only been able to see pics on the Floorit website. I've ordered samples and am hopeful...

• parehm
    3 years ago

@Joanna Gerdy if you have Facebook, join the Flooring Advice group. It’s ran by Flooret and people post a ton of pictures, Raeburn included.

• MRBr04
    3 years ago

If anyone is interested in seeing lots of pics of Arbor, check out britton_acres on Instagram.

• jarandsar
    3 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Definitely helped me solidify Arbor for my new home.

• Susan Stewart
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had l a t o plank installed in my kitchen and bathrooms. When I pulled up the 3D image of this flooring online, it looked gold tone. So I was disappointed when I got the sample plank and it is Olive toned, because the laminate I have down in contiguous areas is gold tone. Still, it's the lightest shade available so I decided to go with it. I am very pleased with the plank quality and thick wear layer. The installers did an excellent job and my rooms look good.

• MAdkins
    3 years ago

@Susan Stewart; It looks great!!!! I ordered 6 samples and put them all side by side and that's really when I could tell the difference in the colors. Still, your floors look great. I just finished my whole house in Sutton (did about 500sf a year ago) and am so glad to have the floors done. Unfortunately, my 12y/o mini schnauzer is afraid to walk on them...For those who have this issue, HD carries 12' wide .50/sf non fraying ribbed indoor/outdoor carpet on rolls. I got a 30' piece for the living room and put my decorative rugs on top. The beige blends in well with my Flooret floors in Sutton; the carpet also comes in grey and navy. Hopefully my old guy will adjust but for now the carpet makes for a great play space for my "boys". Love my Flooret floors!

• Susan Stewart
    3 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad you are as happy with your floor as I am with mine.

• Megz
    3 years ago

MAdkins I also have a Schnauzer, shes 13 and does not like to walk on our current laminate however can walk on tile no problem. I was hoping the embossed finish of LVP would offer her some traction. Is that not the case :(

• MAdkins
    3 years ago

@Megz: Awww, I bet she's a cutie! You are right: One of the main reasons I chose Flooret is the embossed, matte finish that has a non-slick surface! Of the dozens of LVP options I looked at, Flooret is by far the least slippery and most realistic looking in my opinion. So, I am hopeful that my old boy, Schnapps, will learn to walk on my Flooret floors. It took him a long time to be ok walking on my mom's Travertine floors so I'm hopeful that I will be able to remove the runner rugs and just keep the big one in the living room that we play on. After all, I want my sweet fur baby to enjoy the remainder of his years!

• Megz
    3 years ago

MAdkins, same here.. My dog is a huge factor on flooring. She deserves the best after all 😁 I agree.

• lindhina
    3 years ago

We installed Flooret Soho in our kitchen and living rooms this year and while the flooring is beautiful, I would reconsider if I were to do it again. First, the underlayment is not absorbant, so it is not only noisy but feels like we are walking on concrete, unlike our previous pergo flooring. The texture also is a bit harder to clean that the smooth pergo surface. Finding rugs without a rubber backing is also a pain, but those aren't the worst problems with this floor. The transitions are curved and very high and they hurt your feet when you walk on them, even with slippers on. I wish I had no transitions at all, but transitioning between the floor and tile made it necessary. Also, I used the calculator to estimate overage and there are way too many boxes left; perhaps a dozen boxes and they can't be returned without costing an arm and leg.

• Megz
    3 years ago

Thanks for your input lindhina! I am still looking at flooring options and now considering Provenza. Was your pergo wood? Laminate?

• lindhina
    3 years ago

It was a Laminate but it was wood underneath so it did contract and expand like other wood floors. I chose the LVP because we wanted a continuous floor and since it was in the kitchen, it needed to be waterproof. Previously the kitchen was tile with Laminate in the surrounding area. There are better Laminates now that I understand are fairly waterproof.

• HU-304641146
    3 years ago

@lindhina : Flooret Modin has a crushed stone core so it will certainly be harder that a product that is vinyl throughout.

@Megz : I almost purchased Provenza before I found Flooret Modin here on Houzz. As I've mentioned before, I found Provenza to look fake (like a 3-D photo) with no actual texture when I compared it to Flooret Modin. I'm still very happy with my choice of Flooret Modin in Sutton and find that it cleans easily; I like the texture as well.

• Megz
    3 years ago

HU: Flooret Modin is my favorite brand and Provenza Moda is my favorite product so far (if that makes sense, lol). Provenzas Moda line is very textured.. that, and the 7” wide planks are what I like about it more than Flooret. Flooret has a new line of colors and Nakan is similar to Sutton, minus the white wire brush. I love it (I have 5 different Flooret samples). It’s mainly Flooret’s 9” wide planks that I’m not sure about. The 7” seems more realistic. Flooret has some texture but not as much as the Provenza samples I have. I think I’d be happy with either one.

• Brenda Hagel
    3 years ago

@Megz I've been looking at Flooret for well over a year (and have plenty of sample squares and planks, including the new colors like Nakan). I was pretty certain we were going to go with it but I'm finding surface scratched on the 6 planks we have laid out in the kitchen. One was totally my fault, I had a chair sitting on it and we didn't have pads for it yet. When I moved it, it left a long scratch. It mostly buffed out, but you can still see it. We've had sheet vinyl in the kitchen for so many years, and the wooden kitchen chairs never left a mark. I've ordered a few other samples now from Provenza and other manufactures to see if there was something a little more scratch resistant. I know most people who have Flooret say it's never scratched for them, so maybe we're just barbarians :)

• ishop19
    3 years ago

Oh geez no, it scratches. i don’t understand these people that say it doesn’t.

• Megz
    3 years ago

Brenda how did you tag me? I can’t figure it out! I think we may be in the same FB group. I love Nakan and have heard about scratches bearing a concern with Floret.

• Megz
    3 years ago

Ishop19 Do you have another recommendation for LVP that is less prone to scratches?

• Brenda Hagel
    3 years ago

@Megz I tagged you by adding a @ in front of your name.

• Brenda Hagel
    3 years ago

@ishop19 thank you. I'm sad because I love this flooring, and the employees are the best, but I can't see myself with floors that scuff/scratch so easily. I'm leaving the planks down through Christmas and will revisit the wear on them then.

• ishop19
    3 years ago

@Megz

@Brenda Hagel

i don’t have any other suggestions sorry. I still like Flooret, one just has to be realistic about all these vinyl plank choices.

i don’t particularly like the grooves, stuff gets caught in the grooves. If there was a Flooret option without grooves I would have gotten that.

• Megz
    3 years ago

@brenda I’ve tried the @ sign and it didn’t work in the past.. trying again. 🤔
    I feel the same way about Flooret. Send to have great customer service and their LVP has great specs. I’m wondering if the ceramic bead is less durable than the aluminum oxide. I think I’ll ask Gabriel in the FB group to get his take. (FYI I’m Mo in the FB group).

• ishop19
    3 years ago

@Megz

use the @ sign, start typing the persons name until you see it pop up in a list, then select it in the list. That part is key! HTH

• Megz
    3 years ago

@ishop19 hmm not working on my iPad. Not getting a name list 🤔

• Jenny Lam
    3 years ago

Hi @lindhina, does the soho flooret come with a cork back and did you install the baseline or signature line? Also we were considering the soho flooret, do you have a sample box we can buy from you?

• ishop19
    3 years ago

@Jenny Lam

Flooret has NOT had a cork back for quite a few years. It’s quite easy to find that out. For both products it’s listed as IXPE.

https://learn.flooret.com/why-did-you-switch-from-cork-to-foam-underlayment

• Jenny Lam
    3 years ago

Thanks @ishop19. I saw that as I started digging further and my first time hearing about IXPE. Curious if that’s better or same quality as a cork back.

• ishop19
    3 years ago

@Jenny Lam

Flooret is super easy to talk to. You can online chat or call them. They can give you their reasoning. But it’s all in the link from their perspective:

”Our IXPE foam underlayment is superior to cork in a variety of ways including water resistance, noise reduction, and thermal insulation.

Our newest upgrade to the Modin Collection, is our high-density, cross-linked, closed-cell foam underlayment. It is made out of time tested polyethylene, the same material used to make milk bottles, medicine containers, and BPA-free baby bottles.

Third-party lab testing on our new underlayment shows VOC detection results of ‘ND’, or “Non-Detected”. In fact, cross-linked foam actually has lower levels of formaldehyde emissions than cork (cork, like all wood products, has some natural amount of formaldehyde in it, and requires the use of urethane to hold the cork granules together).

Like all of our products, our new underlayment passes the strict CARB II air quality standards (the strictest in the USA, and some of the strictest in the world), and is third-party tested by SCS Global to be FloorScore Certified for indoor air quality.

Using a special non-chemical process, the cells of the foam are cross-linked, creating a tight, smooth closed-cell surface that is waterproof and highly insulating.

Key features of our IXPE underlayment

Waterproof

• Our underlayment is made out of cutting-edge IXPE (Irradiated Cross-Linked PolyEthelene), the newest advance in foam technology
    • IXPE is a closed-cell foam that is 100% waterproof, and impervious to mildew, mold, rot, and bacteria
    • While cork underlayments may resist moisture in daily use conditions, in a flood or broken appliance scenario where significant amounts of water are exposed to the floor for prolonged periods, there is the chance for mold and rot to develop. We feel your underlayment should work just as hard as your floor, and our new underlayment does just that. While our competitors exclude their “waterproof floors” from flooding (read their warranties!), we stand behind our product in even the most extreme conditions

Improved sound control

• Compared to cork, IXPE provides pound-for-pound superior sound performance
    • While sound performance is a complicated topic, in the most basic testing scenario (6” concrete, no suspended ceiling) our 1.5 mm IXPE has an IIC (Impact Insulation Class) rating of 59-60, compared to 1.5 mm cork at 53-55. IIC specifically relates to impact-related sounds, such as footsteps, the main sound element an underlayment can control (airborne sound, such as loud music, is rated using a different metric called STC, and in almost all cases requires a suspended ceiling to significantly mitigate)

Thermal insulation

• Due to the closed-cell nature of IXPE, it is an excellent insulator and, in fact, is used primarily for its insulation properties in many other industries

Proven performance

• IXPE has been used in the automotive, medical, and hospitality industries. It is very likely that your new vehicle relies heavily on IXPE to keep the cabin insulated, both in terms of sound and temperature”
  • hari p
    2 years ago

OMG!!! This thread is so awesome.

I am in love with lato base. https://www.flooret.com/luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring/lato-base/

@Susan Stewart would it be possible for you to share some more pics of your lato flooring? I was wondering how are they holding up after a few months? scratches, etc?

Also looks like you have lato signature (9"), I am thinking of going with the base as I like a bit narrower planks.

• mike1072
    2 years ago

@MRBr04 what color / style is your floor?

• Michelle Gregory
    2 years ago

I can’t find any pictures of the Pomeroy installed …anyone know where I can find one ?

• Steven Tucker
    2 years ago

@MRBr04 just wondering how your floors have held up to your german shepherd? scratches? also do you have trouble getting it to look clean? haze with foot/paw prints?

• lisushi
    2 years ago

Anybody installed the Nakan Base and have pictures you could share? I prefer the narrower planks and the micro-bevel but all the pictures online are for the signature. I would love to see how the base looks and also how is it with repeats? Thank you!

• HU-530817773
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here are some pics of the Lato Base that has been installed for about 1 month we ordered it in the summer and it arrived in December due to the pandemic supply chain boat traffic jam.

it seems nice. it is lower shine and much more non slip than our previous laminate and warmer on cold mornings. +/- you cant run and sock slide on it.

we replaced laminate that was light but more colorful in orange and pink hues (bottom pic is our old floor-notice how you can see the edge of each lamite plank. For a plastic floor, this Lato is more “realistic” than the old floor which had multiple boards per plank. Lato is light and looks best in the rooms with deeper contrasting colors imho. Maybe we will go darker on the walls the next time we paint

Our house is 100+ years old. The Lato feels like a timeless color and I against our dark modernish Ikea cabinets.

we did 900 sqft continuous over multiple rooms on the main floor

we’ll see how it holds up long term. my kid roller skates on it and plays hockey on it with no marks or scratches that havent cleaned up. we clean it with liquid products and have the pet water dish on it without worries.

The micro bevel is about as deep as the faux wood grains. We were not a fan of the deep grooves and trendy big planks but maybe this flat bevel will present a problem if any buckling or swelling occurs in the future. We’ll see.

Under can lights and other fixtures it looks nice and doesnt mirror the light source. There are certain times of day that the light shows the artificial grains more.

Overall, it looks good, but i doubt folks would be fooled that it is real wood while standing on it. But, it seems to have gotten firmer with fewer soft / hollow spots as it has sat and settled . . . or im used to them now. Subfloor was 23/32 tonge and groove particle board over exising imperfections from settling. Its not perfect but better than it was before particle board was laid.

the negative-

The wear layer is brittle. we did find a crack in it from an unknown source. Not sure if something was dropped or maybe a kid was testing dads hammer while he was not around after install.

also in one of thr doorways, there is a gap in the subfloor it was soft and a plank cracked in half when someone stepped on in that spot. the previous laminate had spanned that soft spot without cracking. we did not use an approved installer. lesson learned

we are going to see if we can replace just one or two tiles by cutting the tongue and gluing in a replacement as seen on line.

hopefully others will not see the negatives that we have experienced. this is our first luxury vinyl and maybe the problems would have surfaced with other products too.

• Dana Powell
    last year

A negative review on Trust Pilot--any folks who've had product for years see this issue. On plus side, Michael in customer service chatted with me for almost 3 hours today and I learned a lot. 5-stars for customer service! But in the end, the product has to perform. Any long-timers have issues with gaps and brittleness? TIA!

"After our contractor installed the flooring, we were having issues with gaps in between the boards and some chips. Concerned, I called the contractor and had them come out to take a look at it and try to fix the issues I was pointing out. Their professional floor installer, upon inspection and an attempt to fix the problems, told me that the quality of the floor was lacking. It doesn't have interlocking ends which leads to gaps upon being walked on - it just slides in and out of place. He also said that it is a very brittle product, so if the boards are installed tightly (like when trying to fix gaps!) there is a chance it may chip.

• Dana Powell
    last year

@CindyR, how are your Arbor floors holding up? What size is that--it looks like just the right amount of bevel for me. TIA!

• mjzman77
    last year

@Dana Powell, I have not commented here in quite some time. My Modin kitchen floor has been in place just short of five years. It is nearly as good as new. The only very minor issue is that early on it developed a small-- half the size of a dime-- surface chip at the same place in the pattern on every plank that was at that point in the pattern- one in eight planks I think. Hasn't been a problem, just I know it is there. I don't know what is meant by no interlocking ends. My floor has locking ends, so has the Modin changed in five years? I installed it myself and was 70 yrs at the time (now 75). Everything is tight and looks good. I have a dog who likes to be a whirling dervish and has done no damage to the floor. I also have a couple of extra planks that have been sitting on the front porch for years - in sun, snow, and rain. I would have no issue with installing those pieces today.

• Dana Powell
    last year

Thanks for responding @mjzman77. What size did you get and what has been your experience in keeping clean the beveled edges of the size you received? WonderingWondering if the enhanced paint on the signature bevels flake off as I've read with other products they have.

• mjzman77
    last year

Dana, Mine is the 9x72 which was the only size five years ago. No problem with cleaning bevels- they aren't very deep and no flaking. I don't even think they are painted, maybe stained. I damp mop with Rejuvanate vinyl floor cleaner. Occaisionally have to scrape lightly if something really sticky dries on the floor. I wonder if the product has changed in five years to keep the price competitve, what with tariffs, inflation, and Chinese lockdowns.

• bry911
    last year

@Dana Powell - Modin (old and new) has interlocking ends. In my opinion, while it is not a difficult product to install, it is also not difficult to install incorrectly (the difference between locked and unlocked bevels is small but noticeable if you are paying attention). I suspect the above review was really a poor installation and a contractor blaming the floor out of self-preservation.

• HU-530817773
    last year
    last modified: last year

Our Lato Base from Modin has been underwhelming. weve had thr same gaps open up that @Dana Powell read about in the other review. We fixed the gaps using a method seen on YouTube. but the gaps just opened back up. we inserted glue in them and slid them back together. That has helped but you see a bit of glue residue around those ones. Other gaps are opening nearby. Also, the Lato Base scratches. And we have a plank in a doorway that chipped and turned into a hole that will not be able to be repaired. unfortunately, Theres no hiding it. See photos of these issues below.

in low traffic areas, the floor is fine. But this floor has been more trouble than expected and I cant reccomend the Lato Base maybe others are fine.

• Dana Powell
    last year

thank you @bry911 and @mjzman77 for your responses. You made a good point @mjzman77 about the impact of external forces possibly necessitating a change in product to remain price-competitive. I do think based on their specs that the company offers great value. @bry911, now that I re-read the negative review, I think you are right that it sounds very much like product-shaming, lol.

I did come across a number of comments in Houzz as well as a video about the ceramic bead finish on LVP creating holey socks. Any issues with that?

Also, the main living area of my 650 sq ft 1-bedroom apt is 20' ft Long x 12' ft wide. How do you think the 9x72 would look? I ordered samples of all 3 sizes. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated!

This last picture is of the bedroom--I don't have its measurements handy. The unit is actually a rental and I'm looking for a product that I can put down and not have to worry about for 20 years!

BTW, a flooring company quoted $10,500 to replace the 9x9 water-damaged parquet in both rooms with new parquet tiles and then sand and stain all 650 sq feet.

• Dana Powell
    last year
    last modified: last year

@HU-530817773, my those scratches are troubling. Have you reached out to Flooret re their warranty? I'm curious to know how they handled it. Gaps they could argue can be due to installation, but scratches are all about the wear layer.

ETA: @HU-530817773, Do you recall how the scratches came about?